Tank Troop/platoon

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Tank Troop/platoon

Postby Mitchverr » Mon 13 Mar 2017 19:11

Well, its something I aint seen come up too much but here we go, a few questions of mine and if others have any, go ahead and ask here :)

1. What size will tank platoons/troops reach, 4 vehicles per tank platoon/troop I assume like Wargame?

2. Will we be able to mix and match the troops ala real life? Such as how for the UK for example you would have the troop be made of say 3 cromwells and a challenger, 3 shermans and a firefly, 3 churchills and some 17 pounder vehicle? In the US that being shermans backed by sherman 76s.

3. If we get a troop of vehicles, will they be as "close" as they are in wargame with reguards to distance from 1 another? As from the timeframe vehicles tended to spread out a little bit for movement/mobility.

4. Will there be a significant difference between recce troops and mainline troops of tanks? IE will cromwells/tetrarchs as example tanks be following the rule of recon infantry that they dont push the frontline(at least thats how i understood recon from reading comments)? Or will they be following different rulesets?

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Re: Tank Troop/platoon

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Mon 13 Mar 2017 22:52

I would love to be able to have different vehicles in the same group like 3 Panzers and a StuG or something. I haven't actually seen any images of units grouped up though, it's all been singles so I'm not sure if you can actually do it or not.

It'd be nice if we could set formations too, like spread, close, box, spearhead etc.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon 13 Mar 2017 23:45

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:I would love to be able to have different vehicles in the same group like 3 Panzers and a StuG or something. I haven't actually seen any images of units grouped up though, it's all been singles so I'm not sure if you can actually do it or not.

It'd be nice if we could set formations too, like spread, close, box, spearhead etc.

And if those formations stayed that way (cough cough Wargame).
Courtesy of KattiValk

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 14 Mar 2017 00:17

Screw formations, just give me a "move all at same speed" command and "attack move at same speed" command.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby eMeM » Tue 14 Mar 2017 00:52

Fade2Gray wrote:Screw formations, just give me a "move all at same speed" command and "attack move at same speed" command.

This.

In Wargame you'd rarely use platoons anyway, only infantry and super cheap units were used grouped.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Tue 14 Mar 2017 01:00

eMeM wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:Screw formations, just give me a "move all at same speed" command and "attack move at same speed" command.

This.

In Wargame you'd rarely use platoons anyway, only infantry and super cheap units were used grouped.

I used platoons all the time for medium armour aswell, especially if i was moving forwards aggressively in order to coordinate wide front assaults(platoons of 2-3 vehicles though).

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 14 Mar 2017 01:02

Formations are for those who just want to take pretty screenshots.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Tue 14 Mar 2017 01:21

Fade2Gray wrote:Formations are for those who just want to take pretty screenshots.

And people whom want to be WW2 reinactors! :lol:

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Tue 14 Mar 2017 03:49

Mitchverr wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:Formations are for those who just want to take pretty screenshots.

And people whom want to be WW2 reinactors! :lol:

Damn straight. Formations can be useful though, especially given the dynamic frontline element, they might be useful.

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 15 Mar 2017 01:40

There's no troop/platoon.
The scale being smaller than Wargame, all units are individual.