Destructable Buildings?(?)

Nathan des Lessings
Staff Sergeant

Re: Destructable Buildings?(?)

Postby Nathan des Lessings » Tue 14 Mar 2017 20:48

orcbuster wrote:I do hope that buildings provide better cover the more they are blown up if they are destructible.

i guess it would be better in the other direction...
The more destroied the worse the cover...
Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:11

Nathan des Lessings wrote:
orcbuster wrote:I do hope that buildings provide better cover the more they are blown up if they are destructible.

Here is an interesting fact about buildings: In an intact condition they do not provide very good camo cover in combat situations. They are dominated by straight lines and 90 degree angles, making it hard to mask head and torso silhouettes. To top this of the entrance and exit points tend to be fairly obvious (Doors, windows and corners), making the spots where someone may pop up predictable.

Combat damage tend to rectify this. new irregular and hard to spot openings appear, existing points become irregular and most importantly the whole picture becomes more chaotic making spotting irregularities (I.E. you) far more difficult. The building remains to provide cover for movement as most walls will remain standing even under hard fire.

Well then completely level the building then! you may say. Hell that is often even better for the defender, rubble provide amazing cover and concealment options.
Viker for ingen!

Sarvik
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Sarvik » Tue 14 Mar 2017 22:57

orcbuster is right. Also intact buildings have weaker parts which can break and injure those inside during bombardment, possibly start fires etc. After first good bombardment you will have only relatively tough parts of building standing, so 2nd bombardment will add comparatively a lot less damage to remaining structure.

Nathan des Lessings
Staff Sergeant

Postby Nathan des Lessings » Tue 14 Mar 2017 23:27

orcbuster wrote:

Here is an interesting fact about buildings: In an intact condition they do not provide very good camo cover in combat situations. They are dominated by straight lines and 90 degree angles, making it hard to mask head and torso silhouettes. To top this of the entrance and exit points tend to be fairly obvious (Doors, windows and corners), making the spots where someone may pop up predictable.

Combat damage tend to rectify this. new irregular and hard to spot openings appear, existing points become irregular and most importantly the whole picture becomes more chaotic making spotting irregularities (I.E. you) far more difficult. The building remains to provide cover for movement as most walls will remain standing even under hard fire.

Well then completely level the building then! you may say. Hell that is often even better for the defender, rubble provide amazing cover and concealment options.

Yes that should be true with these arguments.
Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.

BlessPL
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby BlessPL » Wed 15 Mar 2017 12:36

orcbuster wrote:

I would be very happy if this could be implemented as a mechanic in SD. Intentionally blowing nearby buliding in order to create better hiding places before fight? Sound great!
War. War never changes.

Wicca
First Sergeant

Postby Wicca » Wed 15 Mar 2017 13:04

Or just if they are hiding behind buildings, removing them to engage.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Wed 15 Mar 2017 14:12

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t-22536721
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t-22536788

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Wed 15 Mar 2017 14:25

molnibalage wrote:

Quoting yourself from a different forum does not make a valid reference, I am afraid.

Orcbuster presented his case better.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Wed 15 Mar 2017 15:26

molnibalage wrote:

That image is actually illustrative of my point. That there is a goldmine of prepared cover and concealment.

This is one of the few subjects where i do consider myself a primary source as I've done quite a bit of of urban combat training in a training town where these principles are meant to be demonstrated and practiced.
Viker for ingen!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed 15 Mar 2017 15:37

Why does the title have a second question mark in parentheses? :lol:
Delta Force or Delta Farce?