Thoughts about Towns

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12101
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Thoughts about Towns

Postby Mike » Tue 14 Mar 2017 20:41

I'm sitting here, not paying too much attention to my online class, but I have a thought. With infantry losing their long range (ATGMs & RRs, not that RR where that great) reach, isn't much more possible now to just bypass towns?
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
Razzmann
General
Posts: 7390
Joined: Fri 7 Mar 2014 15:29
Location: The land of flowing beer and Sauerkraut.
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby Razzmann » Tue 14 Mar 2017 20:43

Mike wrote:I'm sitting here, not paying too much attention to my online class

This is your online class professor sepaking. Pay more attention to what I say!

User avatar
orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12360
Joined: Fri 7 Sep 2012 21:04
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby orcbuster » Tue 14 Mar 2017 20:48

Mike wrote:I'm sitting here, not paying too much attention to my online class, but I have a thought. With infantry losing their long range (ATGMs & RRs, not that RR where that great) reach, isn't much more possible now to just bypass towns?



Not really because zones are no longer a thing and you have to push all over the map. Towns thus become cheaply defensible points on the map (usually also road focus points) that you can use to channel forces alongside of. Hopefully, setting up AT guns in them can be a thing as well.
Image
Viker for ingen!

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12101
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby Mike » Tue 14 Mar 2017 20:55

Razzmann wrote:
Mike wrote:I'm sitting here, not paying too much attention to my online class

This is your online class professor sepaking. Pay more attention to what I say!


It's the fourth time you've gone over LaPlace transformations, I've grow bored.

orcbuster wrote:Not really because zones are no longer a thing and you have to push all over the map. Towns thus become cheaply defensible points on the map (usually also road focus points) that you can use to channel forces alongside of. Hopefully, setting up AT guns in them can be a thing as well.


What happens if you completely surround a town? Will you have a red area behind your frontlines? Will being cutoff from their lines (as normal infantry) affect their morale state?

I'm sure you don't know the answer, but I think they're valid questions.
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

captaincarnage
Major
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 23:50
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby captaincarnage » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:07

I for one am looking forward to destroying the picturesque French countryside.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12101
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby Mike » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:08

captaincarnage wrote:I for one am looking forward to destroying the picturesque French countryside.


356mm tend to do a number in a treeline.
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
raventhefuhrer
Colonel
Posts: 2949
Joined: Wed 15 May 2013 08:47
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby raventhefuhrer » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:08

There have been oblique references into articles to some kind of 'we're cut off' mechanic in the game. Things like you need an officer unit to lead a daring behind enemy lines ambush or some such. It could just be a journalist's hyperbole, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was indeed some kind mechanic like this. And if nothing else, a surrounded town should be much easier to pressure into surrendering.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

captaincarnage
Major
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 23:50
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby captaincarnage » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:14

Mike wrote:
captaincarnage wrote:I for one am looking forward to destroying the picturesque French countryside.


356mm tend to do a number in a treeline.


I expect the shelf life for architecture will be pretty limited too under the same circumstances, will make me feel better given that i suspect the VIP beta will not have any British representation, as I reckon the French and Yanks will be in and the people that actually made Normandy possible by not surrendering to the Germans at the earliest possible opportunity will be relegated to waiting for a more finalized version of the game.

God the beta's not even out yet and i'm already doom prophesying :lol:
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12101
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby Mike » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:22

captaincarnage wrote:
Mike wrote:
captaincarnage wrote:I for one am looking forward to destroying the picturesque French countryside.


356mm tend to do a number in a treeline.


I expect the shelf life for architecture will be pretty limited too under the same circumstances, will make me feel better given that i suspect the VIP beta will not have any British representation, as I reckon the French and Yanks will be in and the people that actually made Normandy possible by not surrendering to the Germans at the earliest possible opportunity will be relegated to waiting for a more finalized version of the game.

God the beta's not even out yet and i'm already doom prophesying :lol:


Please, leave your nationalism at the door. :P But that just means the Brits could be more polished! I imagine we'll see a infantry heavy and armored division for both sides in the beta.
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier
Posts: 3105
Joined: Thu 25 Apr 2013 20:23
Contact:

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:32

I think FLX mentioned somewhere that you can just bypass towns if they become a problem.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests