Thoughts about Towns

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Re: Thoughts about Towns

Postby FrangibleCover » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:33

raventhefuhrer wrote: And if nothing else, a surrounded town should be much easier to pressure into surrendering.

Nuts!

orcbuster wrote:
Mike wrote:I'm sitting here, not paying too much attention to my online class, but I have a thought. With infantry losing their long range (ATGMs & RRs, not that RR where that great) reach, isn't much more possible now to just bypass towns?

Not really because zones are no longer a thing and you have to push all over the map. Towns thus become cheaply defensible points on the map (usually also road focus points) that you can use to channel forces alongside of. Hopefully, setting up AT guns in them can be a thing as well.

I should think that towns will be able to provide cover for AT guns, which makes them similar to ATGM teams in terms of role. If not then I think concealing ATGs behind houses so that they cannot be fired at from the 'front' of the town but can threaten the side armour of tanks trying to slip around the town should be sufficient to stop small encirclements. If the enemy provides large numbers of units and smoke cover and tries to slip past then what you have is an attack in open terrain. That's lovely, defending is easier. This particular attack is happening in a more predictable location than if you'd ignored the town and with the preparation time in waiting for the smoke curtains to build you can be rushing reserves up and readying your forward observers. To avoid this fate your enemy will be forced to assault the town.

The bit I'm more worried about is an attacker's advantage against towns. Infantry on their own were not particularly good at taking out FSVs and especially tanks in the era and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Churchill/Sherman/Unironic Char B1 meta in the early days of the game as effective FSVs that are unthreatened by light long-range AT and outrange short-range AT. The obvious counter is having your own tanks in the area to react but at the relatively short ranges considered here that's dicey.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:41

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:I think FLX mentioned somewhere that you can just bypass towns if they become a problem.

Well he said IIRC that the maps are made so that any kind of division can work. If you are an armorued division, you should be able to more or less ignore the town to attack somewhere else.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:44

Mike wrote:It's the fourth time you've gone over LaPlace transformations, I've grow bored.

That's because you never listened once while I went over them!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:46

FrangibleCover wrote:
raventhefuhrer wrote: And if nothing else, a surrounded town should be much easier to pressure into surrendering.

Nuts!

I'm hoping this game will make me have a battle of the bulge. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Courtesy of KattiValk

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Tue 14 Mar 2017 21:57

FrangibleCover wrote:The bit I'm more worried about is an attacker's advantage against towns. Infantry on their own were not particularly good at taking out FSVs and especially tanks in the era and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Churchill/Sherman/Unironic Char B1 meta in the early days of the game as effective FSVs that are unthreatened by light long-range AT and outrange short-range AT. The obvious counter is having your own tanks in the area to react but at the relatively short ranges considered here that's dicey.

There's got to be some powerful tools infantry-focused decks have against armored vehicles, otherwise it'd be pointless to play a non-armored deck. I somewhat share your worries though. Even in Wargame, infantry alone had a really hard time dealing with well micro'd tanks unless you were a VDV squad or one of their few equivalents so if Eugen isn't careful the issue could just be exacerbated.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Wed 15 Mar 2017 00:06

raventhefuhrer wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:The bit I'm more worried about is an attacker's advantage against towns. Infantry on their own were not particularly good at taking out FSVs and especially tanks in the era and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Churchill/Sherman/Unironic Char B1 meta in the early days of the game as effective FSVs that are unthreatened by light long-range AT and outrange short-range AT. The obvious counter is having your own tanks in the area to react but at the relatively short ranges considered here that's dicey.

There's got to be some powerful tools infantry-focused decks have against armored vehicles, otherwise it'd be pointless to play a non-armored deck. I somewhat share your worries though. Even in Wargame, infantry alone had a really hard time dealing with well micro'd tanks unless you were a VDV squad or one of their few equivalents so if Eugen isn't careful the issue could just be exacerbated.

You'll still have tanks even if you aren't an armored division(US and British Paras have their Locusts and Tetrarchs). You'll also have anti-tank guns and tank destroyers. Air support exists as well, and infantry AT weapons(less common than in WG, but still effective)
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed 15 Mar 2017 00:11

I think it comes down to if AT guns can be "concealed" or at least effectively used in towns. We'll find out tomorrow.
Courtesy of KattiValk

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Wed 15 Mar 2017 00:46

Mike wrote:I think it comes down to if AT guns can be "concealed" or at least effectively used in towns. We'll find out tomorrow.

In Men of War you used to have a bush you could plant... anywhere, even on concrete, and it would totally conceal your PaK 40 :mrgreen:
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed 15 Mar 2017 01:21

HrcAk47 wrote:
Mike wrote:I think it comes down to if AT guns can be "concealed" or at least effectively used in towns. We'll find out tomorrow.

In Men of War you used to have a bush you could plant... anywhere, even on concrete, and it would totally conceal your PaK 40 :mrgreen:

Comfirmed for bush size!
Courtesy of KattiValk

Wicca
First Sergeant

Postby Wicca » Wed 15 Mar 2017 01:37

Didnt they hide that in the movie fury?