So any official word on modding ?

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Re: So any official word on modding ?

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 19 Mar 2017 23:32

Darkmil wrote:
Xeno426 wrote:The problem is that the current tool isn't more potent than one Eugen makes and integrates with Steam Workshop.

Is that true ? If so how is it more potent ?

See above point about convenience. If Eugen spends the time to make a tool that does the same thing the current tool does, but integrates it into Steam Workshop, that will make mods far more user friendly. This means more people using mods.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

D-M

Postby D-M » Mon 20 Mar 2017 15:24

Look at the beta's game data, you might get a glimps of what they may be trying to do.

Darkmil
Colonel

Postby Darkmil » Mon 20 Mar 2017 20:06

D-M wrote:Look at the beta's game data, you might get a glimps of what they may be trying to do.

I am a dirty peasant I have not managed to get access to the beta :cry:
@Xeno the thing is I fear Eugen tool will not provide the same possibilities as Enohka's if it's aimed at reskinning and changing a few game stats. As you may know Enohka's provide the ability to edit almost anything in the NDFBin, and most of it is far more detailed than necessary for stat changes (which is good for modders), but this makes the modding a big messy thing for non initiated. But I fear that a tool having for goal a more user friendly workflow will have to ditch many features the WMS has.
Again I'm hoping for something bigger. I'm personally hoping for 3D model edition, which shouldn't be too much work for Eugen to give us the ability to do, since it mostly requires an importer for the game, and some explanation on how the units skeleton works.
I fear map edition will be too big of a thing to develop for we will ever have the ability to do it One can dream though.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Mon 20 Mar 2017 21:08

Darkmil wrote:I fear map edition will be too big of a thing to develop for we will ever have the ability to do it One can dream though.

Given what's been said about how maps are made, I'm inclined to agree. However, I too would like to see the importer tools necessary for new models, and the encoders necessary to make new sounds.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Darkmil
Colonel

Postby Darkmil » Mon 20 Mar 2017 23:05

Xeno426 wrote:
Darkmil wrote:I fear map edition will be too big of a thing to develop for we will ever have the ability to do it One can dream though.

Given what's been said about how maps are made, I'm inclined to agree. However, I too would like to see the importer tools necessary for new models, and the encoders necessary to make new sounds.

The encoders kind of exist right now but they are still very buggy and we can't get consistent results.

Gronank
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Gronank » Wed 22 Mar 2017 16:35

The data in these games is organised into a virtual file system. There are .dat files that are collections of .ndfbin files. When a .dat file is loaded, every .ndfbin file it contains in inserted into this virtual file system. When the game is started every .dat file up to the current version of the game is loaded and if a .ndfbin file is inserted that is already present in the virtual system, the new replaces the old one. This is how replay backwards compatibility works.

When you mod the game with the inofficial tools, you replace the data of the latest version with your own data. This has some problems. Foremost, from a software perspective, is that you have two incompatible versions that have the same version number. From a modder perspective there's the issue that you need to redo everything every time there's a new version out, particularly if you want to incorporate the latest changes to your mod. Finally, it is a hassle for the user to activate and disable mods since it requires digging into the file system.

With official support, which could amount to as little as an accessible gate into the virtual file system, all these problems go away. You can have proper versioning, mods can be developed independet of the base game and other mods and activating or disabling mods becomes easy.

Darkmil
Colonel

Postby Darkmil » Thu 23 Mar 2017 14:27

Gronank wrote:With official support, which could amount to as little as an accessible gate into the virtual file system, all these problems go away. You can have proper versioning, mods can be developed independet of the base game and other mods and activating or disabling mods becomes easy.

I must confess I forgot that. That would indeed be interesting.
I still want to lobby for a model editing utility, be it a simple importer.

Darkmil
Colonel

Postby Darkmil » Thu 6 Apr 2017 13:34

So any official news ?
We will have Steam workshop it seems.
Any insight on the release date of the official modding tool that will most probably happen to ensure steam workshop integration ? 23rd of May ?
And WMS doesn't manage to open "everything.ndfbin" unfortunately, we'll see if it can be fixed.

Crotou
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Crotou » Thu 6 Apr 2017 14:17

There is a "Mod center" in the ingame main menu.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Thu 6 Apr 2017 16:21

Anyone know what this is supposed to mean?