3rd Armored cheap infantry transport required

Gronank
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 3rd Armored cheap infantry transport required

Postby Gronank » Tue 16 May 2017 16:58

Who's talking about Arm. Rifles as a weakness? You get an impervious to small arms mg in the half track, great widespread AT with the bazookas and good-enough medium range firepower. I will take them and the halftrack for 40 points any day of the week compared to the panzergrenadiers for 35. The arm. rifles has more flexible AT with the better range, everything else is decided by firesupport (which arm. rifles gets organically).

CUALEB_Operator
Corporal

Postby CUALEB_Operator » Tue 16 May 2017 17:20

TOE-wise, like the paratroopers, the armored infantry were not issued with BARs. Two M1919A4's in the MG squad were the dis-mounted automatic firepower each Arm-rifles platoon had. Then they did have a 60mm bazooka for each squad, even for the MG and motar squads, which made it 5 for each platoon. I'd say Eugen did quite a job balancing realism and gameplay with the Armored infantry loadouts.

I don't see the Arm-rifles being the worst at this state. 3AD should avoid hedgerow-heavy terrain whatsoever, due to the lack of LMGs and early HMG sections. But in towns and deep-forest area if you manage to get in close within 200m range (minimum LMG range), they can outgun the bolt-action (panzer) grenadiers with relative ease, as a 10-15 pts cheaper unit. By the time the German flamers arrive at phase B, you should have a decent income and a steady foot-hold to absorb the impact.

Generally the mobility is 3AD's biggest advantage, you don't have to fight for every inch of ditch. The HTs and the Arm-rifles should be good complement to the armors in the maneuver warfare, rather than cheesy opening meta to explore with.

P.S.: Compare to opel blitz, I'd say the .50 cal mounted M5A1 perhaps is a bit more unparalleled in phase A.

I WUB PUGS
Lieutenant

Postby I WUB PUGS » Tue 16 May 2017 18:14

FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Let it be known!

Coletrain
Staff Sergeant

Postby Coletrain » Mon 22 May 2017 11:09

FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Not all weaknesses are equal, infantry is such an important part of any army. I understand and sympathize with this logic, but I feel this means any division which has infantry as it's weakness will always struggle.

Saavedra
Warrant Officer

Postby Saavedra » Mon 22 May 2017 12:59

Coletrain wrote:Not all weaknesses are equal, infantry is such an important part of any army. I understand and sympathize with this logic, but I feel this means any division which has infantry as it's weakness will always struggle.

Unless that infantry is appropriately supported, as is the case with 3rd Armored where every infantry unit comes in a halftrack with a .50cal machinegun, and that´s before we go on with units that are out of the infantry tab like mortars, vehicle mortars and Stuarts, all good to very good, at an affordable cost.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Mon 22 May 2017 16:03

Saavedra wrote:
Coletrain wrote:Not all weaknesses are equal, infantry is such an important part of any army. I understand and sympathize with this logic, but I feel this means any division which has infantry as it's weakness will always struggle.

Unless that infantry is appropriately supported, as is the case with 3rd Armored where every infantry unit comes in a halftrack with a .50cal machinegun, and that´s before we go on with units that are out of the infantry tab like mortars, vehicle mortars and Stuarts, all good to very good, at an affordable cost.

Well some of .30 cal, not .50, but your point still stands.
Courtesy of KattiValk