Steel Division sales...

McNash
Lieutenant

Steel Division sales...

Postby McNash » Sat 27 May 2017 06:29

Here they are...

https://steamdb.info/app/572410/graphs/

Ironically enough, it seem Act of Aggression back in the day did far better than Steel Division (+75000 copies sold in the first days, if I remember well), interestingly here are the sales of another strategy game, Dawn of War 3:

https://steamdb.info/app/285190/graphs/

By this point it looks like not even a WW2 setting may compensate for the lack of advertising for SD (I believe this has always been the weak point of Eugen Systems games), on the other hand, DoW3 had a massive coverage as even Games Workshop helped them using their social media to promote the game, yet that wasn't enough to even reach half a million units, by comparison, back in the day a classic RTS like a Command and Conquer could sell over a million copies in just one month.

Anyway, what do you think Eugen is going to do with this game and what steps should be taken in the future to improve sales?

Desty
Warrant Officer

Re: Steel Division sales...

Postby Desty » Sat 27 May 2017 07:48

McNash wrote:By this point it looks like not even a WW2 setting may compensate for the lack of advertising for SD (I believe this has always been the weak point of Eugen Systems games)

I don't think more advertising could improve the sales much.
I think SD got enough promotion, the problem is the niche gameplay it offers.
DoW III is far more casual and just the title "Dawn of War" is known fairly well due to it's predecessors.
A new Company of Heroes would do "good" even with minimal advertising, while "Steel Division" is a new brand.

How should they promote the game better than with the countless streams they did?
Far better promotion than they did for any wargame...and RD sold what? 500k copies? in 3 years.
Steel Division is even more "hardcore" from a mechanic standpoint and has the same "problems" as Combat Mission + friends, they don't appeal to a wide array of players.

Also Eugen Systems is not a big widely known studio, which leads to a smaller fanbase that would try a new game. Paradox community are mostly people that like to play on a strategic level, but the cooperation with them helped nevertheless. Maybe they should try to make a more "casual" game that appeals to more people to get themselves "known" or something...but even more promotion for a niche game would probably be wasted money.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Sat 27 May 2017 11:23

On the other hand I'm already sick of SD advertisement on Facebook and other pages that use similar pop-up/ side banners TBH..

KampfKeksKrieger
Command Sergeant Major

Postby KampfKeksKrieger » Sat 27 May 2017 15:27

I also find the situation odd.
There are more players that actually play, but almost no comments in the forum.

If you compare the ingame players, SD is similar to DOW.
Red Dragon has a good player/Owners ratio (even after 3 years) whereas DOW did have a huge drop.
Company of heroes also has a similar player number like Steel division, but also many owners and half of players. ( With 3 Mio that is much more likely though). But Red Dragon has not that difference.

Edit: I should add links:
Red Dragon https://steamdb.info/app/251060/graphs/
AoA https://steamdb.info/app/318020/graphs/
CoH: https://steamdb.info/app/228200/graphs/
(addition al to the above; tell me if Im wrong)

Of course, we are talking about different powers behind this games. I do my best not to compare apples with tomatos, but I think its interesting still. Ofc. Company of heroes is a bit older (But red dragon, too), SD is a fresh release (Like DOW, and in the mid lies AoA).
AoA also has a high player count (the orange number), I would like to know how much it tells.

If you compare the Popularity, we have
Red Dragon has a rating of 87%,
SDN44 has 79%
AoA has 61% and
DOW 3 has ~57%

CoH though has 94%.

Do you know what popularity means? It means that the game is more likely to attract new players, or to be lived than unpopular games.
You can see pretty good the influence of advertising (and sold copies) in contrast to the popularity to determine where the success comes from.
(I would like to give SO MUCH a picture of Lords of the Realm 2 here: You had a popularity slider, and if it went up, the population grows, and otherwise it stagnates or drops if you are unpopular).

So while we have very uneven monetary strenghts in those games, we have a similar player number (currently ingame, not only today, see the multiple blue graphs), so I think that advertising of the right way (soft, and introducing style, not a system override for the people) would work wonders.
But the power that you put into that must be much lower than the effect.
I see a steady, light positive growth of player numbers. And once drunken, they keep at the game, very likely (if you see the orange player numbers), thats a huge advantage.
The start is sensible right now, but next to the hardcore game there is also a soft brother that tells you: you dont need to understand all the war topic (to be good at it), you can just enjoy this game and this is a valid game for everyone (young and old, there is a certain welcome atmosphere in the game. Everybody can have fun with.)

Theese are just some collected thoughts. Nothing more!
Last edited by KampfKeksKrieger on Sat 27 May 2017 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Sat 27 May 2017 15:31

I have a much better feeling about Steel Divisions likely success than i did about Act of Aggression, maybe its because the gamestyle appeals to me and the friends i play with more than AOA did, but it seems to offer more depth and interesting mechanics without the faff of base building which just leaves me cold.

Part of the reason for comparatively lower sales though is that this game is PC only, i know a couple of mac and linux players who would gladly buy the game but can't at the moment...
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

nuke92
Lieutenant

Postby nuke92 » Sat 27 May 2017 15:49

KampfKeksKrieger wrote:I also find the situation odd.
There are more players that actually play, but almost no comments in the forum.

Community is split between Paradox and Eugen forums. That's probably it.
"Spike MR is more accurate I'll give you that but Konkurs has more range and isn't prototype" - Warchat™ July 2017

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Sat 27 May 2017 16:10

As someone who has studied eugen game sales trends for a while I can tell you that every wargame has had similar sales and player numbers on launch. Difference in the long run is the ability to maintain a player base, which is why each wargame title have around to 5-600000 copies and AoA has 120000. SD seems to be falling into the wargame category.
Viker for ingen!

KampfKeksKrieger
Command Sergeant Major

Postby KampfKeksKrieger » Sat 27 May 2017 16:38

nuke92 wrote:Community is split between Paradox and Eugen forums. That's probably it.

Only a mosquito has to cough to change everything. 2 Forums also means twice the capacity. It can interconnect later.
I dont say that this must happen, but there is really not much missing from a big increase.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 11 Jun 2017 21:14

Looking at the graphs, SDN44 is doing better than AoA and similar to WarGame. I agree it's tough booting a new franchise (EE was small too) and the WW2 setting doesn't fully appeal to WG players because it's done to death etc.

I would expect SDN44 to sell 400 000 copies which still means it's a solid commercial success. DOW3 probably has a budget a couple times that of SDN44 (count in the marketing too).

TBH I don't expect Eugen to handle SDN44 much differently from the WarGames. There could be some additional benefits or moves based on the Paradox partnership but it just feels like we're looking at just another stable cash cow.

I thought Eugen has some other titles in the pipeline so their success may affect things. Take note that part of RD's success can be attributed to the numerous free updates that were deployed by Eugen long after the release. Also they know how to work on player retention.

integ3r
Lieutenant

Postby integ3r » Sun 11 Jun 2017 22:03

WW2 was the 3rd most popular setting among wargame fans. Maybe not everyone who fell for those games carried over to SD as much. Maybe this poll reflected the general public as well?

As for me personally, I'm a bit let down that SD44 is so specifically focused on normandy rather than being a "WW2 wargame".
"How do into gaem of war? How 2 git gud?":
Spoiler : :