DataMap.dat

Gronank
Lieutenant Colonel

DataMap.dat

Postby Gronank » Mon 8 May 2017 13:47

I know that a map editor is a common request, I also know what kind of detailed, frustrating work went into creating the maps we have so my request is going to be a lot more modest: Can the contents of DataMap.dat be available for modding? For those that don't know, this is where all zone data is stored, basically play and spawn area. I get that most of this data is not strictly in the ndf format, but surely it must be compilable from lists of verteces. Don't worry if the data that goes into this is dense and difficult to understand; if you do this, I'll create an editor myself.

The maps just have so much potential that would otherwise be wasted. With different rotations and offsets, you could potentially have half a dozen radically different 1v1 maps per map, for example. One thing I'd like to try would be to use unconvetional geometries to create non-obvious and exciting force concentrations in team games, such as this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpzuerpje8f9wi0/angledMap.png?dl=0

Hulor
Corporal

Re: DataMap.dat

Postby Hulor » Fri 12 May 2017 17:38

Hi,

We're currently working on stabilizing and improving the current mod tools, but your idea is interesting though. We can't assure anything about it, but we will look into this. Thanks for your feedback.

Gronank
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: DataMap.dat

Postby Gronank » Fri 12 May 2017 19:41

That's all anyone could ask for.
Thank you.