What 5 tips would you give new players to the game?

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Re: What 5 tips would you give new players to the game?

Postby Buck Turgidson » Thu 12 Jul 2012 07:30

Misfit wrote:2) Use armored command vehicles

I'm surprised this didn't come up until now. It's a simple thing but so important. That 20-30 points extra spent on your CV can be the deciding factor between a victory and a loss. The standard command jeep goes boom from a single arty shell. Even the crappiest machine guns strapped into any vehicle can kill it. They only have 5 unarmored HP. There isn't a single good reason to use them. Use the armored CVs!

Ok, here's my list in no particular order:

1) Use armored command vehicles :mrgreen:
2) Use recon, always and everywhere.
3) Remember anti-air. Preferably good AA, not the crappy stuff. An Apache/Havoc laughs at short range AA and proceeds to blow them up.
4) Remember logistics. You don't want your AA run out of missiles or your tanks run out of fuel.
5) Don't hesitate to pull back if things are looking bad. There's no point in losing all your forces against a superior force if you can save them. Also, don't get stagnated especially if there's arty involved. If you insist in holding those positions while the enemy has the arty advantage, attrition will slowly eat you alive.
ImageImage

Drrty-D
Major

Postby Drrty-D » Thu 12 Jul 2012 11:04

Misfit wrote:Ive got only 2 tips to add:

1) Make friends in game (or better yet get your friends to play the game)

2) Use armored command vehicles

Yeah,that are 2 most improtant things in Wargame.Find friends to play with,there is nothing worst then playing(probably losing) game after game with randoms.
And 3td thing i would add is watching replays after replays and learning from mistakes or learning the "moves" from so called good players.
Good luck

tiago
Captain

Postby tiago » Thu 12 Jul 2012 12:46

DougHole wrote:3. Long range artillery in high numbers is a waste of money

its true.. but once I went into a 4v4 game and the other 3 gusy on my tema left before match started.. I bought FULL assortment of RM-70 and the upgraded rocket laucnher both of germany and soviet makiing.. only that....

match astarted and I gave a signle fire everything command. NEver saw somethign more beutiful and I Killed 3 commands and a total of 1700 points.. obviously lost to the counter assault. But was hell of fun :)

wekwek_noob
Lieutenant

Postby wekwek_noob » Thu 12 Jul 2012 13:12

1. USE armored command vehicles or at least the ones that have 10 HP.

2. Don't spam anything. Just don't but it might work on new people or people with wrong strategies.

3. Dont overdue arty. Eats your supplies.

4. Recon, recon, recon, did I say recon?

5. Protect CVs

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Thu 12 Jul 2012 17:27

1. Don't panic. Freezing up is deadly.
2. Numbers in the database matter less than you think.
3. Numbers on the field matter more than you think.
4. Almost every fight is decided before the first shot is fired. How you set up the battle is very, very important and it's your primary task to make sure it's always an unfair fight that favors you.
5. Do something. It's ok to make mistakes. It's a guaranteed loss if you are afraid to do anything because you fear screwing up.

Adolith
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Adolith » Thu 12 Jul 2012 17:42

1. Communicate

That is all.

James-Bond
Staff Sergeant

Postby James-Bond » Thu 12 Jul 2012 19:51

My 5 tips (no order)
(1) have more than 1 recon in with your main force
Once you recon is gone you are blind.
(In the pic he had only one recon & it was blown up first)

(2) Big Blobs attract Artillery
Once you see the shells come towards you, Move!
This means the enemy will have to adjust to hit you.

(3) You are allowed to retreat
your units don't have to die for no reason.
Its better to live to fight another day
This includes moving your CV
when the enemy are getting a little to close for comfort.

(4) You can Group your forces with commands keys: Ctrl + (0-9).
Means formations arer easier to maintain.
example:
Key 1= Tanks
Key 2= recon, AA & ATGMs
Key 3= Supplies

(5) Destroy enemy supply Vehicles,
If you can capture them even better
Your forces wont target them automatically,
so you have to pick a unit to attack it.
This hurts a force will a lot of ATGMs severely
Means the enemy can't Repair, Refuel or Rearm.

sound-of-words
Sergeant First-Class

Postby sound-of-words » Thu 12 Jul 2012 20:11

1) Deploy varied forces. Don't spam arty, don't spam infantry, don't spam arty... You can do that later if you know what you are up against.

2) Take care of suppling your units constantly.

3) Spread out. Buying some units in pairs instead of full platoon helps to cover more ground.

4) Retreat where the enemy is stronger, push where he is weaker. If there is no weak spot, recon more.

5) If you see anybody not playing according to the 4 steps before, exploit it.

Formerly shugyosha on these forums and still shugyosha ingame
Lusiad_NZ wrote:Patch the players instead.

Boogie Van
Lieutenant General

Postby Boogie Van » Thu 12 Jul 2012 20:49

1) Recon units are the most important units in the game; you can't really shoot at what you can't see, at the same time, don't be afraid to issue any unit the order to fire on the location of tracers coming out of a forest or building.

2) When you get the feeling one side is undefended and another side has seen more action than the amount of points per player normally provides, you can probably make a deep lunge into enemy territory. (Recce it before you dedicate yourself)

3) Plan out mistakes to make your opponent pounce on them; sending a Roland out in the middle of a fight is a tempting target for a tank that really should be shooting at the other tanks. The most ideal bait cost sits at 60-70 deployment points per unit; where it really doesn't hurt you too badly to use them, but the enemy sees enough points that they don't want it to slip.

4) The point at which artillery is most powerful is when you have enough units to defend your artillery well, but just not quite enough for full front-line combat. Spamming artillery takes you over the edge and makes you easy bait.

5) Look at the stats on every unit, and play with unit info active until the commonly used units' stats are burnt into your memory for all time. (Then go on the forums and forget what they are ;p )

Fear Me
Sergeant

Postby Fear Me » Fri 13 Jul 2012 00:19

Ah.. I have played with a lot of new players since this last DLC and usually have a list of things I cover if they ask questions.

1. DO NOT use Jeep commands. Buy armored commands. Jeep commands die to fast and from random fire.
2. Defend your commands do not leave them by themselfs nor run them off to cap a spot quickly without first securing it.
3. Never group AAA or SAM units use them seperately and spread them out for coverage.
4. Never move armor into a forest without recon first. Also its wise to keep armor out of forest areas so you can manuver.
5. Never infantry rush across a open field.
6. Do not buy nothing but arty as your team mates will hate you and you will not kill much. It's best to do a small group of two or three and increase from there as needed. Best Arty peace in the game is AUF1 for NATO... DANA for PACT.
7. Don't Rush. If your new don't do it. You won't have a chance in hell against a experienced opponet although if your looking to score quick points it might be feasible but you still won't learn the ins and outs of most units.
8. Have fun. Enjoy setting up your decks and spending hours trying to find the best unit that fits your play style. Expect much trail and error. Repeat trial and error after patches. :mrgreen: