Chasseurs... wonderin' why

William Hulsey
Private First-Class

Re: Chasseurs... wonderin' why

Postby William Hulsey » Mon 4 Mar 2013 19:02

trotskygrad wrote:
Spawnfärkäl wrote:Ahhh... i see! Thanks for the answers! :)

Even though isn't calibre 7,62mm higher then 7,5mm? I know its not much... and i will accept the fact, but calibrewise :)

it's 7.5×54mm so there's more powder behind the round and it's theoretically more powerful... I think :P

Interesting discussion. Wound Ballistics studies in the 1973-1976 era, plus practical firing rates and associated shot groups resulted in Army analysts classifying infantry small arms into 3 general catagories: High powered rifles ala NATO 7.62X51mm (typically heavier, longer barreled, higher recoil, with best slow fire (even bolt action) shot groups at 250m (to 450m); Intermediate powered and shorter bbl "assault rifles/carbines" (either shortened casing with rifle bullets ala 7.62X39mm, or smaller caliber, lighter bullets ala 5.53, with better (semi-automatic) rates of fire inside 250m (to 50m); and low powered shortest bbl submachine guns/machine pistols ala 9mm PB with least recoil and best fully auto shot groups inside 50m. BOTTOM LINE here is the distinct engagement range bands. HP rifles (no significant difference between bolt action/semi-auto/fully auto) can defeat the other type weapons (one on one) in open terrain affording greater than 250m engagements. Inside 250m, the AR/carbine is slightly better than a semi-auto or fully auto rifle. The SMG/MPs dominate inside buildings, heavily wooded terrain. and when intervisability is 50m or less.
A few side notes:
-Only snipers should engage targets beyond 450m
-Max effective range of ARs/carbines is ~375m
-Max effective range of SMGs/MPs is ~125m
-Theoretical weapon rates of fire are meaningless as long as they are at least 360 rounds per minute. Rates of fire greater than 600 r/m generally wastes ammo when shoulder fired.
-Practical fully auto rates of fire combine 3 to 5 round bursts with magizine size.

William Hulsey
Private First-Class

Postby William Hulsey » Mon 4 Mar 2013 20:01

trotskygrad wrote:
Spawnfärkäl wrote:Ahhh... i see! Thanks for the answers! :)

Even though isn't calibre 7,62mm higher then 7,5mm? I know its not much... and i will accept the fact, but calibrewise :)

it's 7.5×54mm so there's more powder behind the round and it's theoretically more powerful... I think :P

Interesting discussion. Wound Ballistics studies in the 1973-1976 era, plus practical firing rates and associated shot groups resulted in Army analysts classifying infantry small arms into 3 general catagories: High powered rifles ala NATO 7.62X51mm (typically heavier, longer barreled, higher recoil, with best slow fire (even bolt action) shot groups at 250m (to 450m); Intermediate powered and shorter bbl "assault rifles/carbines" (either shortened casing with rifle bullets ala 7.62X39mm, or smaller caliber, lighter bullets ala 5.53, with better (semi-automatic) rates of fire inside 250m (to 50m); and low powered shortest bbl submachine guns/machine pistols ala 9mm PB with least recoil and best fully auto shot groups inside 50m. BOTTOM LINE here is the distinct engagement range bands. HP rifles (no significant difference between bolt action/semi-auto/fully auto) can defeat the other type weapons (one on one) in open terrain affording greater than 250m engagements. Inside 250m, the AR/carbine is slightly better than a semi-auto or fully auto rifle. The SMG/MPs dominate inside buildings, heavily wooded terrain. and when intervisability is 50m or less.
A few side notes:
-Only snipers should engage targets beyond 450m
-Max effective range of ARs/carbines is ~375m
-Max effective range of SMGs/MPs is ~125m
-Theoretical weapon rates of fire are meaningless as long as they are at least 360 rounds per minute. Rates of fire greater than 600 r/m generally wastes ammo when shoulder fired.
-Practical fully auto rates of fire combine 3 to 5 round bursts with magizine size.
Selkares wrote:They have a big caliber, which stuns enemies faster.
They are numerous and cheap.
If ranked at max vet they are still pretty cheap and can hold really well against other infantry units.
If ranked at max vet they are still pretty cheap and can hold really well against other infantry units.

It may be that the game designers are using stun/morale as a means of accounting for the weapons' better ranging capabilities. As for me personally, When I fought as light infantry in the Dominican Republic (XVIII Abn Corps) and Viet Nam (101st Abn Div), high order explosions followed by total small arms rates of fire were most shocking. In fact, the only reason to fire our rifles on automatic beyond 50m was to try and suppress the enemy while we ran to cover.

leroy11
First Sergeant

Postby leroy11 » Mon 15 Apr 2013 14:29

Spawnfärkäl wrote:...so many players use them nowadays in cup and ranked matches.

Stats-wise they aren't worth the bucks compared to Jägers and Fusiliers (transports besides), the RoF left alone is way inferiour. So is it the VAB why so many players are usin' em? Or did they get patched?

I#m just curious :)

HMG. Serioulsly HMG can for cheap price wreak anything. Chasseruor I see as addon to Vab HMG, I take a Vab not a chassueor. i drip off the chassueor as an after thought, My real purpose is to run 32 vabs round the map,

Aikmofobi
Lieutenant

Postby Aikmofobi » Mon 15 Apr 2013 14:34

You're implying the Browning M2HB is a mmg? It's 12,7 mm and quite heavy.

Edit: The post i replied to seems to have been deleted.
Last edited by Aikmofobi on Mon 15 Apr 2013 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

leroy11
First Sergeant

Postby leroy11 » Mon 15 Apr 2013 14:45

Aikmofobi wrote:You're implying the Browning M2HB is a mmg? It's 12,7 mm and quite heavy.

ANything HMG is good. It is seriosly worth it over MMg