Am I to stupid to hold a flank?

Noobie117
First Sergeant

Am I to stupid to hold a flank?

Postby Noobie117 » Thu 28 Mar 2013 21:50

Hi,
following happens to me everytime when I must hold a flank alone (Im really bad in it): My units secured positions, then comes 1 scouthelo wich is shotdown quickly by my SAMs. Then the enemy Arty my position (mostly they hit my ATGMs/SAMs) and after that they rushing my position (like Bravo) with heavy tanks in the middle of a attackforce with cheaper units (T-72, Patton). I arty it but the most tanks and inf comes near enough to kill my CV :( If I try to counter it with hogs or gazelles, but they get shotdown by Kubs. With my ATGM-infantry the same: Specialforces and arty. They kill my guarding infantry first, then they kill my ATGMs who are stunned or routing in that time-.-
Oliver said:

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänskajütentürschließmechanismus

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Re: Am I to stupid to hold a flank?

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 29 Mar 2013 00:08

Infantry in woods, ATGMs in hedges, everything in cover basically.

Do you have replays to send? Post them at Escalation.eu
Marshal honoris causa

Noobie117
First Sergeant

Postby Noobie117 » Fri 29 Mar 2013 12:04

I have everything in cover. Mostly I'm more effective if I support a attack (mostly I have then more points than the attacker itself). But my problem is I don't know how to record replays. What must I do?
Oliver said:

Norim0101
Warrant Officer

Postby Norim0101 » Fri 29 Mar 2013 12:41

Noobie117 wrote:. But my problem is I don't know how to record replays. What must I do?

After every game you have the option to save your replay, when the stats after game are shown

Noobie117
First Sergeant

Postby Noobie117 » Fri 29 Mar 2013 12:42

Norim0101 wrote:
Noobie117 wrote:. But my problem is I don't know how to record replays. What must I do?

After every game you have the option to save your replay, when the stats after game are shown

Thx

Edit:

I uploaded a replay where u can see how I fail: http://escalation.eu/index.php?viewReplay=1187

Probably I could hold it if this guy didn't teamkilled my AA with his Arty :x
Oliver said:

nimitz98
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby nimitz98 » Mon 8 Apr 2013 00:05

I watched your replay, and no, you are not "too stupid" to hold a flank. Your main mistake was remaining immobile for so long. In all that time, the enemy had time to scout you out, plan an attack, call in units, and carry it out. You were basically overwhelmed. However, in the time during which the enemy was preparing to attack you, you could have easily moved into Romeo and steamrolled him. As you can see in the replay, Romeo was completely devoid of any hostiles except for the CV for the first quarter of the game.

YOU NEED RECON!!!! Reconreconreconreconrecon! Get a Gazelle or two, recon infantry and some Mutts, and sprinkle them all over the map. If you don't have recon, you will die. Simple as that. If you had seen that push coming, you might have had time to call in reinforcements. But you didn't, because you didn't have recon. So you died.

Also, you need Apaches. They are awesome. They kick so much butt it's unbelievable. Remember those T-64BVs that attacked you from the left? If you had Apaches, they would have been toast in 5 seconds. Just remember to retreat them if you see Tunguskas or Buks.

Another unit you need is the HEMTT. It is so much better than the Jupiter. Two Jupiters for 30 CPs gets you the same amount of supplies as 1 Jupiter for 30 CPs, but there are other advantages. First, its speed is higher, which means that it an get where it's needed faster. Second, they're armored, which means that, unlike a Jupiter, they can take a near-miss from an artillery shell and not explode instantly. Third, they have bigger wheels. There are some unit characteristics that aren't mentioned in the armory, and this is one of them. Basically, this means that they get stuck in the mud less often.

The last unit you need is some kind of tank destroyer. Those T-64s would not have been nearly as effective if you had an AT unit. I recommend the M109 ITW. It is armored, its missiles have an accuracy of 10 and an AP value of 14, and it carries 12 missiles. It's awesome.

So in conclusion, just be more mobile, USE RECON, get the units I mentioned above and you should improve a little. I hope this helped!

Nimitz
EF-111 RAVEN -- UNSTOPPABLE MENACE TO CVs -- PLZ NERF
Spoiler : :

Noobie117
First Sergeant

Postby Noobie117 » Wed 10 Apr 2013 15:47

Thx, but I know that. But my problem is that sometimes I forget to take in some recons :roll:
Oliver said:

the_Monk
Sergeant Major

Postby the_Monk » Wed 10 Apr 2013 18:44

Noobie117 wrote:Thx, but I know that. But my problem is that sometimes I forget to take in some recons :roll:

That's the thing. You asked if you were stupid to hold a flank? No. However if you find yourself 'holding' an area at any time during a match, that should only happen once you have plenty of recon in place.

You allowed the enemy to bring the fight to you........which isn't always bad......unless you are blind (no recon) which you were! That is why Nimitz98 said that. If you forget to bring recon to a battle, you're just setting yourself up to react to the enemy controlling you.

I still see that all the time.......people with tons of expensive units........not even one single cheap recon.......sigh! ;)

Noobie117
First Sergeant

Postby Noobie117 » Sat 13 Apr 2013 18:12

the_Monk wrote:
Noobie117 wrote:Thx, but I know that. But my problem is that sometimes I forget to take in some recons :roll:

That's the thing. You asked if you were stupid to hold a flank? No. However if you find yourself 'holding' an area at any time during a match, that should only happen once you have plenty of recon in place.

You allowed the enemy to bring the fight to you........which isn't always bad......unless you are blind (no recon) which you were! That is why Nimitz98 said that. If you forget to bring recon to a battle, you're just setting yourself up to react to the enemy controlling you.

I still see that all the time.......people with tons of expensive units........not even one single cheap recon.......sigh! ;)

Thx for answer. But Im not a bad player (but not the best^^). Im mostly better in RTS than turn-based-Strategy (I suck there very hard XD). But my biggest problem is, that Im to careful.
Oliver said:

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 14 Apr 2013 19:32

Noobie117 wrote:Thx for answer. But Im not a bad player (but not the best^^). Im mostly better in RTS than turn-based-Strategy (I suck there very hard XD). But my biggest problem is, that Im to careful.

You can try finding some good cheap units and playing more aggressively, that way you can keep spamming for a while before you run out of points. It's a bit harder nowadays, but there's some very nice ~15 point vehicles and empty APCs you can try this with.

First send a low number of units to different locations to probe enemy defenses. If a weak sector is found, send in a medium sized bunch of your cheap units, followed by some more expensive support in case you can work a breakthrough.

It can be important in learning aggressive play to do it systematically and with a much more suitable force composition than what you normally do.

You can also try 12 helos with a recon heli with very good optics etc. Remember you'll probably just get thrashed the first few times, though you might still have lots of fun. But learn from any successes and try to look for the approach that works for you.
Sleksa wrote:Distance to target was measured with a laser instead of operator's instinct

[DLC] Finland -
The best way to deploy your USSR equipment in WarGame