Flares and Chaff Deployment

coffcc3408
Corporal

Flares and Chaff Deployment

Postby coffcc3408 » Fri 2 Aug 2013 09:28

Just a random thought. I think the planes should be shown ejecting flares and chaff when a missile is shot at them. The missile missing and all that can remain the same, but I think that extra animation would make it look better since that is what planes do when they are fired upon by missiles. Thoughts? It is something simple, yet I think it would look pretty good and more realistic than just the missile wizzing by off target. Make it look like counter measures were taken that forced the missile wide. I dunno, just a thought :-)

p1t1o
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Flares and Chaff Deployment

Postby p1t1o » Fri 2 Aug 2013 10:03

Its something I'd expect to see in wargame III, but yeah, I want it. It would tie in neatly with aircraft's "ECM" stat - planes with more capable ECM could spew chaff and spoof radar guided missiles, planes with weaker ECM would only use a hnadful of chaff/flares and be more vulnerable to radar guided AA.

Whistler118
Sergeant Major

Postby Whistler118 » Fri 2 Aug 2013 10:05

ECM value of plan has to be taken as dropping chaff and flare. Wouldnt want any other plane counter mesaures as planes are a problem as it is.

spasmotrout
Corporal

Postby spasmotrout » Fri 2 Aug 2013 10:11

I'd like to see the pilots eject when they do get hit :)

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 2 Aug 2013 15:47

Whistler118 wrote:ECM value of plan has to be taken as dropping chaff and flare. Wouldnt want any other plane counter mesaures as planes are a problem as it is.

Only problem that even the most advanced AC are downed easly by a very old SAM. With Kub, Osa and old MANPADs are very lethal even for ex. and F-15C/E...

In RL a low flying F-15E or F-111F was a very, very hard target for any SAM systems even in the '80s... I have to say air power requres very strong rebalance. There are too many bad and illogical loadouts and many issues.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 2 Aug 2013 16:36

molnibalage wrote:
Whistler118 wrote:ECM value of plan has to be taken as dropping chaff and flare. Wouldnt want any other plane counter mesaures as planes are a problem as it is.

Only problem that even the most advanced AC are downed easly by a very old SAM. With Kub, Osa and old MANPADs are very lethal even for ex. and F-15C/E...

In RL a low flying F-15E or F-111F was a very, very hard target for any SAM systems even in the '80s... I have to say air power requres very strong rebalance. There are too many bad and illogical loadouts and many issues.

IR sams until recently were almost undetectable. With the advent of missile warning receivers IR sams only signature was the trail. Thats why many jets wrre downed in the gulf wars by manpads. Radar could easily track the F-15 flying altitude ingame, too easy, just that they would have a 30 sec lock on time for a Buk and it will go bye bye very soon.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 2 Aug 2013 16:46

IR sams until recently were almost undetectable.

I know - MAWS even today are not widely used on fighters - regardless of these fact the hit chance - which means not destroying - was very, very low in RL even most of targets did not have dispensers.

Because the system of WAB cannot model kinematic defet well and other issues the only way is playing with accuracy and ECM values.

Corsair
Lieutenant

Postby Corsair » Fri 2 Aug 2013 16:58

molnibalage wrote:
IR sams until recently were almost undetectable.

I know - MAWS even today are not widely used on fighters - regardless of these fact the hit chance - which means not destroying - was very, very low in RL even most of targets did not have dispensers.

Because the system of WAB cannot model kinematic defet well and other issues the only way is playing with accuracy and ECM values.

Yeah, MWS are very rare and present only on most modern planes (Rafale, etc..) due to their lack of reliability.

mihai22
Corporal

Postby mihai22 » Fri 29 Apr 2016 12:59

Bryan wrote:Only problem that even the most advanced AC are downed easly by a very old SAM. With Kub, Osa and old MANPADs are very lethal even for ex. and F-15C/E...

Only in Eugen systems games. IRL check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ietnam_War

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 29 Apr 2016 15:22

mihai22 wrote:
Bryan wrote:Only problem that even the most advanced AC are downed easly by a very old SAM. With Kub, Osa and old MANPADs are very lethal even for ex. and F-15C/E...

Only in Eugen systems games. IRL check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ietnam_War

The Kub was totally nullified by towed ALE-50 + ALQ-131 during the AF...
Osa and Krug was totally different but except Desert Storm nobody every meet on west in war with Osa and never with Krug because never was exported outside of WPACT. (Kurg and Osa had very similar guidance.)
During the Desert Storm was no real ECM protection againt FCR of Kub but EW radars could be jammed and of course Straight Flush could be killed by HARM.

You can find here info about army troop defesnse of WPACT.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d9by7q ... ir_defense