On the A-10 Thunderbolt

Matuchkin
Private

On the A-10 Thunderbolt

Postby Matuchkin » Sat 29 Oct 2016 19:47

As most of us here probably know, the A-10 Thunderbolt was literally made for this game. Of course, I don't mean that the guys at Fairchild Republic went "oh, there's this game that's gonna come out, better take a VW Beetle-sized gatling gun and strap armour and wings to it". What I do mean is that the A-10 was meant to fight in the contemporary European battlefield, meant to be rugged and armed enough to be able to limp through high-end Soviet missiles and stand automatic AA fire like a champ (compared to other planes, at least). Incidentally, this is the exact situation happening in wargame- it's what the boys at Fairchild had in mind when they pitted their YA-10 against Northrop Corp's YA-9.

But I digress. I meant to talk about the A-10 Thunderbolt's weaponry. The thing is, that jet was meant to carry pretty much half the NATO arsenal. Though in the game it carries a munitions payload of 6 AGM-65 Maverick missiles and it's iconic GAU-8 Gatling gun, it is also meant to carry everything from Snakeyes to Hellfire missiles to JDAMS to Paveways (which are, for some reason, considered SALH missiles in the game). The point is, we need to emphasise on this, otherwise we are ignoring the very purposes of the A-10, that was supposed to be the pinnacle CAS aircraft in this conflict.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: On the A-10 Thunderbolt

Postby orcbuster » Sat 29 Oct 2016 20:00

weapon limit in game is 3 weapons and 2 different types of ground attack munitions like bombs and missiles simply does not work well in game.
Viker for ingen!

Matuchkin
Private

Postby Matuchkin » Sat 29 Oct 2016 20:07

orcbuster wrote:weapon limit in game is 3 weapons and 2 different types of ground attack munitions like bombs and missiles simply does not work well in game.

Why can't the A-10 have, say, 6 Mavericks, 2 Paveways, and it's GAU-8? Still 3 weapon types.

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Sat 29 Oct 2016 20:10

Matuchkin wrote:
orcbuster wrote:weapon limit in game is 3 weapons and 2 different types of ground attack munitions like bombs and missiles simply does not work well in game.

Why can't the A-10 have, say, 6 Mavericks, 2 Paveways, and it's GAU-8? Still 3 weapon types.

Like I said, 2 different kinds ground attack munitions simply does not work well in wargame from a gamemechanical perspective.
Viker for ingen!

Matuchkin
Private

Postby Matuchkin » Sat 29 Oct 2016 20:44

orcbuster wrote:
Matuchkin wrote:

Like I said, 2 different kinds ground attack munitions simply does not work well in wargame from a gamemechanical perspective.

How? I do not quite understand. The GAU-8 is a ground attack weapon, and is paired with the AGM-65s. How about the fact that some vehicles in the game carry ground-attack rocket pods and ATGMs at the same time?

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Sat 29 Oct 2016 20:48

Because you'll notice that the game does not allow aircraft to attack with each munition seperatly. What would happen is that the plane would fire all it's LGBs and missiles at the same time. So therefore all planes in game only have one air-to-ground munitions type.
Viker for ingen!