[MAC] Send us your crash dumps.

Davimotep
Sergeant Major

[MAC] Send us your crash dumps.

Postby Davimotep » Thu 29 Aug 2013 18:09

Hi,

In order to fix some crashes that occur with the Mac version of Wargame : Airland Battle we need you to send us your crash dumps.

Those are quite easy to find :

1) Find "Console" via Spotlight (the search bar in the upper right corner)

2) Expand the "User Diagnostic Reports" line, on the left of the "Console" window.

3) Right click (or Ctrl + Click) on one of the dumps with "WARGAME" in its name and click "Show in Finder".

Select the dumps you have and send them to us at the following address with [MAC] tags in the mail's subject.

If possible provide us with the version number of the game when the crash occured. Please note that previous dumps (pre-1467) are useless to us.

You can send the dumps to eugsupport@eugen.fr

Thanks !

eggcimpprr
Corporal

Re: [MAC] Send us your crash dumps.

Postby eggcimpprr » Fri 30 Aug 2013 03:19

I know you want us to send our diagnostic reports to the specified link, but I believe I may of found a simple reason for why my copy of Airland Battle, (and probably others) freezes on the loading screen. I followed the directions you provided and noticed that I did not receive a report when I forced quit from the game. (which was done after the newest update) I was confused because I had other reports from other games that had crashed. I decided to force quit from a different game in my steam list and found that a report was not generated with that game either. Apparently the console only fills out automatic reports for crashes, not force quits. I wasn't sure what to do, but fortunately I accidentally discovered how to generate a report after trying again with the game in windowed form. This time I physically scrolled over to the games icon and pressed force quit. My mac then notified me that I forced quit and ask me to generate a report, which I did of course. The content of this report had me puzzled. The report seemed to have no idea what version of Airland Battle I was using and the report version said "7". I was curious, so I decided to take a look at the local files. Strangely enough, several folders were titled "PC" instead of Mac like one would expect on the mac version. Also, when I accessed the log file for my copy of Airland Battle, the log appeared to be corrupted or my Mac's console simply could not read it. It was made up of random symbols like when you try to open up a pages document in Microsoft word. Did steam give me the PC version by mistake? Or is this the way Wargame: ALB organizes its files regardless of which version it runs on? I'll try to post the report on here in another post if it doesn't take up the maximum character amount allowed on the forum. Also, if I did somehow download the PC version instead of the mac version, how would I go about fixing that?

TheHolyGhost
Corporal

Postby TheHolyGhost » Fri 30 Aug 2013 03:46

eggcimpprr wrote:I know you want us to send our diagnostic reports to the specified link, but I believe I may of found a simple reason for why my copy of Airland Battle, (and probably others) freezes on the loading screen. I followed the directions you provided and noticed that I did not receive a report when I forced quit from the game. (which was done after the newest update) I was confused because I had other reports from other games that had crashed. I decided to force quit from a different game in my steam list and found that a report was not generated with that game either. Apparently the console only fills out automatic reports for crashes, not force quits. I wasn't sure what to do, but fortunately I accidentally discovered how to generate a report after trying again with the game in windowed form. This time I physically scrolled over to the games icon and pressed force quit. My mac then notified me that I forced quit and ask me to generate a report, which I did of course. The content of this report had me puzzled. The report seemed to have no idea what version of Airland Battle I was using and the report version said "7". I was curious, so I decided to take a look at the local files. Strangely enough, several folders were titled "PC" instead of Mac like one would expect on the mac version. Also, when I accessed the log file for my copy of Airland Battle, the log appeared to be corrupted or my Mac's console simply could not read it. It was made up of random symbols like when you try to open up a pages document in Microsoft word. Did steam give me the PC version by mistake? Or is this the way Wargame: ALB organizes its files regardless of which version it runs on? I'll try to post the report on here in another post if it doesn't take up the maximum character amount allowed on the forum. Also, if I did somehow download the PC version instead of the mac version, how would I go about fixing that?

Yeah i noticed that too.. Its technically not a crash for me because the game just pinwheels til i give up on hoping it would start then just force quit from the dock in windowed. I dont know like i said if in they use a mac to testrun at the dev office but I cant imagine it working for them either if they did. Sorry i couldnt be more help but i really dont know anything about console reporting i just know that i had one crash log but from the prior version which as you said would be useless.

eggcimpprr
Corporal

Postby eggcimpprr » Fri 30 Aug 2013 03:53

Although I was unable to post the report on here, I have sent it to the link provided. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly.

eggcimpprr
Corporal

Postby eggcimpprr » Fri 30 Aug 2013 04:06

TheHolyGhost wrote:Yeah i noticed that too.. Its technically not a crash for me because the game just pinwheels til i give up on hoping it would start then just force quit from the dock in windowed. I dont know like i said if in they use a mac to testrun at the dev office but I cant imagine it working for them either if they did. Sorry i couldnt be more help but i really dont know anything about console reporting i just know that i had one crash log but from the prior version which as you said would be useless.

What you can do is put the game in windowed form. When the game freezes on the loading screen, the mouse is freed from the window, allowing you to click on the games icon and physically press "force quit". Once that is done, a pop up should inform you that you forced quit, allowing you to click on "Report". Another pop up will show up with a very long series of words and so on. This is the diagnostic report. (although it is a little different than the reports you access on the console) Now you can just copy this by highlighting it. (which takes a little bit considering how long it is) Then you can just paste this copy onto your email to Eugen support. This is what I did at least.

eggcimpprr
Corporal

Postby eggcimpprr » Fri 30 Aug 2013 04:24

According to the console, these are "System Diagnostic Reports". They show up just below the User. You can access them that way if you want Ghost. Probably a little easier that way actually.

TheHolyGhost
Corporal

Postby TheHolyGhost » Fri 30 Aug 2013 14:14

eggcimpprr wrote:
TheHolyGhost wrote:Yeah i noticed that too.. Its technically not a crash for me because the game just pinwheels til i give up on hoping it would start then just force quit from the dock in windowed. I dont know like i said if in they use a mac to testrun at the dev office but I cant imagine it working for them either if they did. Sorry i couldnt be more help but i really dont know anything about console reporting i just know that i had one crash log but from the prior version which as you said would be useless.

What you can do is put the game in windowed form. When the game freezes on the loading screen, the mouse is freed from the window, allowing you to click on the games icon and physically press "force quit". Once that is done, a pop up should inform you that you forced quit, allowing you to click on "Report". Another pop up will show up with a very long series of words and so on. This is the diagnostic report. (although it is a little different than the reports you access on the console) Now you can just copy this by highlighting it. (which takes a little bit considering how long it is) Then you can just paste this copy onto your email to Eugen support. This is what I did at least.

When i force quit i have console open, refresh the list but no current processes pop up. No dialog box besides when i restart the game it gives me a restore to last safe setting since it didnt close properly which just puts all settings to default. Sorry i couldnt be more help but im sure we are all experiencing the same error anyways. Whatever is wrong with should show up in everyones reports since i cant show mine -___-.

Anyways my system specs are kinda dated but here it is

mbp late 2008
2.5 ghz i2 duo.
2gb ram
200gig

eggcimpprr
Corporal

Postby eggcimpprr » Sat 31 Aug 2013 21:11

TheHolyGhost wrote:When i force quit i have console open, refresh the list but no current processes pop up. No dialog box besides when i restart the game it gives me a restore to last safe setting since it didnt close properly which just puts all settings to default. Sorry i couldnt be more help but im sure we are all experiencing the same error anyways. Whatever is wrong with should show up in everyones reports since i cant show mine -___-.

Thats really weird. It might have something to do with the fact that we are running different versions of Mac, hmm. Well I made another interesting observation. I was trying to find out what version of ALB I was running and apparently that information can be found in the bottom left corner of the main menu. It was slightly hard to read some of the numbers, but I'm highly confident that the version displayed was v.13.08.30.2100001470, which is in stark contrast to the current version of v1470. Is my copy not updating even though I watched as steam downloaded the recent patches to my copy of ALB? Or is v13 the latest version of ALB for Mac? Is this the numbers displayed at the bottom left for you Ghost?

TheHolyGhost
Corporal

Postby TheHolyGhost » Sun 1 Sep 2013 07:50

Has this been resolved yet i saw an update on steam that says

The wait is over! After a brief beta, Wargame: Airland Battle is now available for Mac and Linux users.

Richer, more beautiful and more accessible, Wargame AirLand Battle is the sequel to the explosive real-time strategy game Wargame European Escalation!

Wargame: Airland Battle is a SteamPlay title-- buy once, own it on PC, Mac, and Linux.

Which is totally not the case

Not trying to sound ungrateful, the game seems great but im starting to get really aggravated that i payed money for this and i hope its resolved soon i mean its live now and that PR post is kinda salt in the wound.

bwinter74
Corporal

Postby bwinter74 » Sun 1 Sep 2013 09:25

I submitted about 10 crash logs yesterday. I'm working by myself since more than 15 years in a techsupport enviroment so I can actually feel with the eugen guys. I had the same situation quite often as well, when you are not able to simulate bugs and crashes although customers reporting them permanently.
I think the eugen guys do actually provide quite a quick response as they seem to permanently following the forum discussions as well, most developer simply ignore such discussions, so I'm quite confident, they will come out with a solution soon.

We should all keep in mind that this is still a game. Ok, yes, we paid for it, but one week more or less till you can play it flawlessly on a mac is not really a question of "live or die"

I'm a mac user since years and of course, first priority has PC, because it is simply more used. You first have to cover the majority of users. We can moan around that fact for ages, but it is simply to what it comes down and it is a known thing, each mac user has to deal with. But keep in mind, that the same thing relies to virus developers *ggg*

Greetings
Bernhard