The Good Friday Agreement.

captaincarnage
Major

The Good Friday Agreement.

Postby captaincarnage » Wed 8 Aug 2018 20:15

The purpose of this thread is to share my thoughts and opinions along with a little hard evidence about why things are the way they are as they would appear to be a sticking point in the discussions surrounding Brexit.

I wish to raise some points about the question of the Good Friday Agreement (which is the agreement signed which ended the overt conflict which went on in Northern Ireland), the Irish border and brexit which if you're anything like me are probably heartily sick of hearing about and would very much like to get the whole tedious process over and done with.

First off as you are probably aware the EU have stipulated that in order for a deal to take place between the EU and the UK friction less trade must be maintained and a hard boarder must be avoided in Northern Ireland, because this in some way is supposed to be what the Good Friday agreement specifies. Well i am here to tell you that this is absolute nonsense.

So first of i will share with you the thoughts of David Trimble who helped deliver the Good Friday agreement in the first place, he also was awarded a shared nobel peace prize for his work on the agreement which lends rather more credence to what he has to say than certain members of the EU parliament and Commission.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/12/dav ... territory/

Spoiler : :
we keep hearing the argument that a departure of the UK from the single market and the customs union would put at risk the peace process and Good Friday Agreement.

In other words, if the -border gates go back up again we will be back into the Troubles.This cannot go unchallenged. The reason the issue of the border has been brought up in the way it has is not because of any practical reasons but because of the internal -politics of the Irish Republic. The Taoiseach has been in desperate negotiations with other party leaders in order to prevent a general -election being triggered. He is -snarling at London, trying to make a big issue about the border, because he is worried Sinn Fein might benefit if he does not."

It is not true that Brexit in any way threatens the peace process. There is -nothing in the Good Friday Agreement which even touches on the normal conduct of business between Northern Ireland and the Republic. Leaving the EU does not affect the agreement because the EU had nothing to do with it....The EU does have a peace and reconciliation programme for Northern Ireland but there is no provision for it in the EU budget. It is financed from loose change in the drawer of the European Commission.

The Belfast Agreement recognises British sovereignty in Northern Ireland, and recognises Northern Ireland as part of the UK. To have provisions treating us as if we are not part of the UK is clearly contrary to that agreement and is something no unionist is going to support.

There is plenty more but i have endeavored to not include any quotes here which might be considered anti eu in case it upsets some of the more sensitive souls here.

If you don't wish to believe me or David Trimble feel free to have a read through the Good Friday Agreement yourselves and make your own minds up about the issue which will almost certainly cause the Brexit talks to fail. The section which appears most relevant is under the heading of security.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... eement.pdf

I have my own opinions about why this is being done by the EU and the Republic of Ireland, none of them are particularly complimentary and I am extremely displeased with those who wish to play politics with people's lives, so it is cathartic to share this information.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

Pr.shadocko
First Sergeant

Re: The Good Friday Agreement.

Postby Pr.shadocko » Thu 9 Aug 2018 17:20

Somehow i would say that the only true sticking point of the Brexit is the saving/killing of the british service industry (ie the City).

At least that's the subject with the most outside pressure on european governements during the negociation. Many in Frankfurt-am-Main and Paris see it as a great opportunity.
(c) Darkmil

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Thu 9 Aug 2018 22:30

Pr.shadocko wrote:Somehow i would say that the only true sticking point of the Brexit is the saving/killing of the british service industry (ie the City).

At least that's the subject with the most outside pressure on european governements during the negociation. Many in Frankfurt-am-Main and Paris see it as a great opportunity.

You seem to have misunderstood what negotiations have taken place, there have been no formal discussions surrounding the British service sector because any deal covering goods and or services is being blocked from any discussion with the EU commission under what i would view as dishonest pretenses.

In addition its worth noting that the UK exports significantly more in services to the rest of the world without any trade deals brokered by the EU covering this than we do to the EU itself, the reason we do this is because membership of the EU only significantly covers the retail side of financial services within the EU (ie private business between individuals and insurance companies banks etc), the wholesale side (business to business) is largely not covered which is incidentally a far larger portion of the services sector is largely unaffected.

Services are of course a complex issue so i have tried to keep my reply brief, but suffice it to say that Paris and Frankfurt, Dublin or Amsterdam will remain behind New York and Singapore and London for the moment at least. If say every financial business had set up a small subsidiary in just one European city you might be on to something but this squabbling over scraps without having the necessary infrastructure business environment or access to global talent is not going to do them any favors when the dust settles.

Thanks for the reply none the less even if you did miss the point.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

Pr.shadocko
First Sergeant

Postby Pr.shadocko » Fri 10 Aug 2018 12:26

the subject was more the specifics of the North irland argument than Brexit as a whole?

My mistake, sorry!

Anyway this side of the Channel , i have never heard about a specific danger about this peace agreement. So i had gone look out for information.

As far as i can tell, both EU and UK agree on not having a "hard" border between Ireland and Northern ireland. The negociation are more about a way to do it.

see : http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SP ... 704_en.htm

Sure Barnier is doing diplomacy and his speech is most likely not 100% the truth but still everyone directly involved seems to want a solution.

But i may be too naive :lol:

By the way, It seem that both British and French media are way more alarmist than an actual 80% agreement sound.
(c) Darkmil