Good Idea? WW2

Cpt.Lithuania
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Good Idea? WW2

Postby Cpt.Lithuania » Sun 9 Jun 2013 09:16

Alot of people say that ww2 has been worn out but it hasn't. The wargame AB atleast in my opinion would probably be the best so to say "platform" for a ww2 game if someone would make a mod. Think of all the hundreds of different tanks aircraft and infantry units. Think how the game would change if there were no ATGMs or missile AA. Making a mod for Wargame ww2 would have endless posibilities and strategical dept much like AB itself.

and i have played RUSE its not the same.

Velico
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Velico » Sun 9 Jun 2013 10:04

I would absolutely love a WW2 version of this game. There are no decent current RTS/RTT WW2 games out there that have an active playerbase. I played Ruse, and while it's okay, there's not much in the way of tactics. I haven't played in quite a while, so I don't know how the playerbase is. I played with about 10 guys regularly, and none of us play anymore, so I'm guessing it's pretty much dead.

I don't think they'd have to do an early or late war game, it could be all-encompassing. Do what they do with ALB and make early war high availability, mid war medium availability and the backbone of armies, and late war/prototype very limited availability. Hell they could add pre-war and post-war units as well, and just have the emphasis on 1940-1945 with availability and cost as the primary factors.

I, for one, would absolutely love to watch Tiger's and Panther's advancing with Panzergrenadiers in Halftracks behind and Stuka close-air support with Bf-109 fighter cover. It would be so fun to try and replicate Michael Whittman with a Tiger perched up on a hill knocking out an entire column of tanks and vehicles. Placing MG-42 squads with Grenadiers flanking them and Pak-40s lining the treeline with Lefh 18's behind on a bluff or ridgeline and Flak 18's in key positions, Oh yeah.

Aww god, I want it; I want it bad. Eugen, the WW2 market has been having a resurgence in activity and the potential is there; capitalize on it!

VenerableSteele
Sergeant First-Class

Postby VenerableSteele » Sun 9 Jun 2013 10:29

it would be boring

heres why:

Tanks are basically the T-34 versions of what we have ingame now, innaccurate, you'd have to engage at 1000 metres to get anywhere.
thew only real way to effectively win would be to spam and counterspam

what setting? france? thats just cities and buildings, basically a slog in urban warfare.
Eastern front would be different, I grant you, but
guys, go back to ruse for WW2

dont like ruse? go back to COH (1 ) and (2)

dont like COH? (actually, its one of the greatest strategy games ever made. no doubt)

go back to MEN OF WAR SERIES

oh, sorry you dont like that?

go to Order of war
dont like that?

go back to Panzers Phase 1 (and 2) (and Rush for Berlin series) (actually pretty good games when they came out.

dont like Panzers?

blitzkrieg?

Close Combat?
Sudden strike?

Commandoes?

go check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wo ... ideo_games

I am officially tired of WW2 games. they are now boring,

just like having american equipment as a faction in further arma series. I'm now washed out on them

I hope to all hell that WW2 is never explored by EUGEN.
If you can't accept other people's opinions being different from yours, you're very qualified to participate on any internet Forum. - DeuZerre

Velico
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Velico » Sun 9 Jun 2013 10:36

VenerableSteele wrote:it would be boring

heres why:

Tanks are basically the T-34 versions of what we have ingame now, innaccurate, you'd have to engage at 1000 metres to get anywhere.
thew only real way to effectively win would be to spam and counterspam
German tanks could accurately engage allied tanks at well over 1000m, as could later Soviet armor like the IS series. There could actually be a lot of variety in how armor is deployed. Early war Panzer 1/2's, Stuarts, BT-7s, T-26s would be more like IFV's than tanks, while Pz3/4, Shermans, T-34/85 would be your backbone tank, and heavy tanks like the Tiger, IS 1/2, Pershing would be your specialized armor. Tank Destroyers, halftracks, workhorse vehicles like Deuce and a halfs, Opel Blitz trucks, and Heavy Halftracks could haul around some of the more static things like AT guns and AA guns.
what setting? france? thats just cities and buildings, basically a slog in urban warfare.
Eastern front would be different, I grant you, but
guys, go back to ruse for WW2
Not the same style of gameplay; dead playerbase
dont like ruse? go back to COH (1 ) and (2)
Coh1 was good, then OF came out and killed it. Coh2 is not worthy of the franchise title
dont like COH? (actually, its one of the greatest strategy games ever made. no doubt)

go back to MEN OF WAR SERIES
Very little in the way of MP play; absolutely horrid AI
oh, sorry you dont like that?

go to Order of war
dont like that?
Straight up bad game. I played about 10 hours of it and never touched it again.
go back to Panzers Phase 1 (and 2) (and Rush for Berlin series) (actually pretty good games when they came out.
Good games, but old and played far too much. No MP potential
dont like Panzers?

blitzkrieg?
Again, great game but overplayed and no MP potential.
Close Combat?
Great games, overplayed and lack of MP
Sudden strike?
See above.
Commandoes?
See above.
go check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wo ... ideo_games

I am officially tired of WW2 games. they are now boring,
Disagree. They have been neglected for the past ~10 years for the most part and would be nice to have a resurgence in the area.
just like having american equipment as a faction in further arma series. I'm now washed out on them

I hope to all hell that WW2 is never explored by EUGEN.
It already has been with Ruse, but it's an entirely different game style and features very different game mechanics.

My thoughts in blue. I always wanted Ruse to be more tactical. Positional hits on armor, effective use of flanking maneuvers, superior firepower dictating the battlefield, etc. None of that is accounted for in Ruse, and a comparison between that game and Wargame really can't be adequately assessed; they are too different.

Yorkie
Staff Sergeant

Postby Yorkie » Sun 9 Jun 2013 10:52

The only way a WW2 game in the mold of Wargame would be viable is to have it cover the entire war and have "era decks" because lets face it, if it starts at the beginning of the War with no US units, the American market will be low.
The Commonwealth will be limited to North African Theater, France and the low countries.

If you start the game at 41, then the French will not be present as a sovereign nation, and it will be the Commonwealth, [Free-French / Free-Polish et al ] Russia and Italy and Germany. [The last 3 weeks of 41 is a moot point,]

42 is where you have the Americans, Japanese [or 37 is a possibility along with China] and 43 you have Italy switching sides.

So that just covers the factions and it only works in a "era" setting.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Whistler118
Sergeant Major

Postby Whistler118 » Sun 9 Jun 2013 11:01

Now that WEE is dying I hope they turn that over to Modders. Amazing things will happen if they do.

Sukesa
Corporal

Postby Sukesa » Sun 9 Jun 2013 12:14

This is my dream too

It could be just a mod, we just have to modify skins, stats and remvoe helicopters and ATGM

Some rocket launchers could be Katyusha .. EPIC

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sun 9 Jun 2013 12:47

Anyone trying to pull the: "We have RUSE for WW2" stunt so he can get his yet another cold war clone engagement.

RUSE is like TF2 of RTS and doesn't cut it.

WW2 with ALB way of doing things is what we want. There is nothing like that out there.

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Sun 9 Jun 2013 13:19

I hope for many more games in cold war setting with added thermal visions, more ways to deploy smoke, nighttime battles, etc. It would give the game another dynamic with more modern equipment vs older spammed equipment.
Perlen vor die Säue.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sun 9 Jun 2013 13:23

Misfit wrote:I hope for many more games in cold war setting with added thermal visions, more ways to deploy smoke, nighttime battles, etc. It would give the game another dynamic with more modern equipment vs older spammed equipment.

All these things don't affect you as a commander or can be already done. We had night time battle in EE... nothing special. These things doesn't justify a sequel. Renaming equipment and setting it in another place as well doesn't justify a sequel.

Yorkie wrote:The only way a WW2 game in the mold of Wargame would be viable is to have it cover the entire war and have "era decks" because lets face it, if it starts at the beginning of the War with no US units, the American market will be low.
The Commonwealth will be limited to North African Theater, France and the low countries.

If you start the game at 41, then the French will not be present as a sovereign nation, and it will be the Commonwealth, [Free-French / Free-Polish et al ] Russia and Italy and Germany. [The last 3 weeks of 41 is a moot point,]

42 is where you have the Americans, Japanese [or 37 is a possibility along with China] and 43 you have Italy switching sides.

So that just covers the factions and it only works in a "era" setting.

Wargame swims in "what if" waters. What if French managed to hold the line. What if Italy wouldn't chicken out. What if Lenin wouldn't be assassinated. Or even: What if coup in US would actually be successful and US would turn fascist... you don't see that one often.

Return to “Off-Topic”