Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby TankHunter » Fri 21 Jun 2013 07:49

Having recently found a old copy of the Tactical Combat Series game, Matanikau, I was just wondering if anyone other forum-goers play any of these games? The TCS games started in 1989 :shock: with the first game, Bloody 110, chronicling the 28th ID halting the 2nd SS Panzer Division for 2 days during the Battle of the Bulge. This allowed the 101st Airborne to reach Bastogne

Matanikau focuses on Battalion or smaller size engagements, with each tab/marker representing a platoon or individual vehicle. The game itself focuses on combat along the Matanikau river in Guadalcanal.
Orders are written on papers provided with the game, which feature the map, and sections labeled Orders, Units involved, Failure Instructions,etc. I do not have one on me, but an example order would be" Force A will move and establish a position at position X-Ray, and hold there.Force B will then move and push the Japanese forces into Force A.
Force A and Force B are just stand ins, obviously, unless you are ordering multiple platoons in one group, and you set Platoon 1 and 2 as Force A, and 3 and 4 as Force B, which you would state in the Units Involved tab.

I also have another game in the series, Leros: The Island Prize, which is set during the German airborne and naval invasion against the Anglo-Italian forces holding the Mediterranean(Greek) island of Leros in late 1943, as Hitler feared the establishment of an airbase on the island would threaten the oilfields at Ploesti.

Sadly, most of these games are out of print. On the publishers website( http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabid/58/CategoryID/13/Default.aspx ), only 4 of the games are in print. The newest one, Canadian Crucible, is due out soon, and covers the Canadian defense of Norrey(France) on D+2 against the 12th SS Panzer Division. The TCS games still in print are:
Black Wednesday: The Battle of Krasni Bor between the Soviets and the Spanish Blue Division.
Leros
Bloody Ridge(not available boxed, :( ): The pivotal battle for Henderson Field, on Guadalcanal

GD 42: One of the 3 TCS games covering the Panzergrenadier Division Großdeutschland, the first(GD40) covering the Battle of Stonne, France. GD 42 takes place during Operation Mars, in the Luchessa Valley. Unbeknownst to the Soviets, it had recently been reinforced by a few battalions from the Großdeutschland division. Furthermore, it comes with the TCS 4.0 rules, which are backwards compatible with all the older games except Force Eagle's War, which is a hypothetical 1990's setting.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

-TIE-
Private First-Class

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby -TIE- » Fri 21 Jun 2013 11:08

Hey TH did you speak about Tabletops or Boardgames. It sounds you talk about boardgames. I play Flames of War. Its for me the one and only tabletop Wargame (for WW2). Thats more an simulation but easy to play and historical very near to perfect. Unit stats reflect what their irl counterparts were. The game is playable with only one platoon (but need a litte bit modification for victoryconditions and moral the easiest is to play without this rules) or standarized on company level. A few scenario´s exist for very few Units only, like "Barkmanns Corner".

It´s amazing but with the ruleset and a little bit luck (ofc its a game and you need to use dices) you can archive results who are very comparable with the history.

Downsides are, its expensive, you need time to paint and build a lot of terrain. But its a nice hobby.

EricTerminator
Major

Postby EricTerminator » Fri 21 Jun 2013 14:51

I think you should ask MadMat ; IIRC, he plays tabletop wargames.
BECAUSE HUNTING CHALLENGERS WITH MIG-31S WAS TOO EASY :

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Anyone here play tabletop/board Wargames?

Postby TankHunter » Fri 21 Jun 2013 19:29

-TIE- wrote:Hey TH did you speak about Tabletops or Boardgames. It sounds you talk about boardgames. I play Flames of War. Its for me the one and only tabletop Wargame (for WW2). Thats more an simulation but easy to play and historical very near to perfect. Unit stats reflect what their irl counterparts were. The game is playable with only one platoon (but need a litte bit modification for victoryconditions and moral the easiest is to play without this rules) or standarized on company level. A few scenario´s exist for very few Units only, like "Barkmanns Corner".

It´s amazing but with the ruleset and a little bit luck (ofc its a game and you need to use dices) you can archive results who are very comparable with the history.

Downsides are, its expensive, you need time to paint and build a lot of terrain. But its a nice hobby.

Yeah, I guess one would consider TCS a board game, sorry. I don't have the time to play tabletop games, but they always sounded really great.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

-TIE-
Private First-Class

Postby -TIE- » Fri 21 Jun 2013 20:06

Hey np...my fault I should follow the link befor I write :)

Yeha right FoW is not a game for under an hour. Normaly we played a full afternoon / evening. But atm we also didnt play bcs the time...real life goes first .)

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Sat 22 Jun 2013 17:02

I have MBT tucked away in a corner somewhere, but I haven't touched it in years. :P
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Knautscher
First Sergeant

Postby Knautscher » Sat 22 Jun 2013 17:39

I play Flames of War as well (3rd Canadian Infantry Division, 4th Canadian Armoured, 101st Airborne Division, Panzer Lehr Division, 503. Schwere Panzerabteilung), but I'm looking to expand into the realm of 6mm wargaming with Cold War Commander, which basically is like a tabletop version of Wargame (and vice versa). It's not quite as expensive as FoW and easier to paint, because of the small scale. Basically you could even just use chips with tactical symbols - but where's the fun in that?

FoW is great because the rules are very clearly laid out, the rule book is a real joy to read and very easy to understand, you can get cheap models from a variety of manufacturers and the game plays quite quick and entertaining.

CWC is a more abstract and simplified, but leaves enough depth for tactical gameplay with battallion/regiment sized forces pitted against each other. The presentation/documentation is not up to par with FoW though.
>Your favourite unit was not included?<
..............................Keep calm and order!...............................

-TIE-
Private First-Class

Postby -TIE- » Sun 23 Jun 2013 15:12

I play Flames of War as well (3rd Canadian Infantry Division, 4th Canadian Armoured, 101st Airborne Division, Panzer Lehr Division, 503. Schwere Panzerabteilung), but I'm looking to expand into the realm of 6mm wargaming with Cold War Commander, which basically is like a tabletop version of Wargame (and vice versa). It's not quite as expensive as FoW and easier to paint, because of the small scale. Basically you could even just use chips with tactical symbols - but where's the fun in that?

Yes :) Another Canadian. My last project were the Canadian´s too, like you with the 3rd Inf and 4th Armoured but the 4th Armoured isn´t assembled yet ;(. And the 3rd Inf is only assembled but not painted, too mutch german stuff left ;( on axis my one and only beloved Unit is the 5th SS Tank Division Wiking (post Tscherkassy like the armylist in the Book River of Heroes). But with my random german Units I can field anything from "Fallschirmjäger" to the "Sperrverband".

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Sun 23 Jun 2013 20:44

CWC is excellent and the level of abstraction, plus the gameplay mechanics is something I would like to see as a WALB mod, if it were possible.
SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Mon 24 Jun 2013 01:09

I play wargames off and on. I'm in it more because I enjoy painting the miniatures, but I'm down for a good game every now and then.

Partly as a result of being a painter more than a player, I've got enough Flames of War to field a US Armor company (with lots of support choices), Panzer Company, and British Armor Company. When I'm back in the states again, I'll be adding forces to be able to field a mechanized list for all those countries too, and possibly a Soviet armor list.

And I've also got a Brigade's worth of microarmor.
Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?