Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

McNash
Lieutenant

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby McNash » Mon 24 Jun 2013 03:30

Right now I have a fully operational 40k necron army, and I would like to get the Dark Vengeance pack sooner or later.
Last edited by McNash on Tue 30 Jul 2013 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Knautscher
First Sergeant

Postby Knautscher » Tue 25 Jun 2013 20:58

Warhammer 40,000 is the enemy! :twisted: The background and models are cool, but the game itself is slow, tedious and completely imbalanced. On top of that Games Workshop is quite hostile toward it's own community: the models are expensive, the rules change basically every year (so you have to buy new sh*t) and there are almost no free resources (army lists etc.) anymore. For the same money that buys you 1 competitive 40K army, you can get 1-2
FoW armies + rules + some terrain + a way better gaming experience.

Do yourself a favor and get "OPEN FIRE!", the FoW starter set. It includes two 800 point armies, a V-1 launching site, 20 Dice, the complete ruleset (~300 pgs., full color), a starter guide and some full color cardboard terrain and tokens.

A good place to start is: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3413
There are several videos as well as downloadable resources and articles to help you get going.

You can have a look at many armylists here: http://fowlists.blogspot.de/ at http://easyarmy.com or at http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108 for some free army lists.

Cold-War-Commander should cost you even less and is another decent, fast playing table top game. There are several good starter armies by GHQ Models, who also have their own micro-armour system.

(This is not the official cover; this is a strictly non-commercial mash-up I made for my personal copy of the CWC rules.)

There's even a rule set called "future war commander" that many people use to play large scale W40K battles with. Unfortunately GW has decided to discontinue the epic40k line of models, so it might become hard to collect armies.
Any of these is better than supporting GW's f*cked up politics.
>Your favourite unit was not included?<
..............................Keep calm and order!...............................

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Wed 26 Jun 2013 01:25

I play and collect board war games.. Mostly its more collecting than playing as its hard to find the opponents or the time..

Here is my collection.. Not the best but I do have some hard to find games and 1 or 2 are extremely rare.. The real rare one is sorta hidden but its called Breakthrough by 3m.. published in 1963.. no reprint and uses actual machined aluminum pieces. Another rare one would be Dawn Patrol by TSR.. 1982. the 2 games I have by SPI are probably hard to find as well.. Foxbat and Fantom and wolfpack.. These where the boxed editions of the 'zine games that where in their magazine

Here is a detailed list of all my board games.. some such as ASL arnt in the pic as the game takes up a large AC box
Avalon Hill
Stalingrad (60% pieces)
Wooden Ships & Iron Men
Anzio ‘69 edition
Anzio ’78 edition
Tactics II
D-Day
Africa Korps
Stalingrad (100% pieces)
MBT Main Battle Tank
ShellShock
Omaha Beachhead
B17: Queen of the Sky
France 1944
Turning Point: Stalingrad
Open Fire
Panzer Blitz w/ wargamers Guide
FirePower
Breakout: Normandy
Up Front
Richtofen’s War
France 1940
LuftWaffe
John Prados’ Third Reich
Squad Leader
SL Squad Leader
SL Cross of Iron
SL Crescendo of Doom
SL G.I. Anvil of Victory’
Advanced Squad Leader
ASL Rules (2 zippered 3-ring binders w/ reinforced holes)
ASL Module 1:Beyond Valor
ASL Module 2:Paratrooper
ASL Module 3:Yank
ASL Solitaire Module 1:Solitaire ASL
ASL Historical module 2: Kampfgruppe Peiper I
SL & ASL Map Boards 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,12,13,14,15,16,
SPI
Foxbat & Fantom
WolfPack
The Gamers
#1-09 April’s Harvest
#2-03 Omaha
#2-05 GD ’40
#2-06 Hunters From the Sky
#2-07 Black Wednesday
#2-08 Leros
#2-09 GD ‘41
#4-01 Guderians Blitzkrieg
#4-02 Enemy at the Gates
#4-03 Tunisia
#4-04 Hube’s Pockets
#5-01 Stalingrad pocket
#5-03 Ardennes

BattleTech
Box Games

BattleTech 4th edition
BattleSpace
Battleforce 2
Source Books
Mercenaries
Explorer Corps
Maximum Tech
Mechwarrior RPG
Battletech Compendium
Tactical Handbook
Technical Readout: 3025
Technical Readout: 3050
Technical Readout: 3057
Record sheets 3055 & 3058
Scenario Pack: The fall of Terra
Scenario Pack: First Strike
Scenario Pack: The Forth Succession War
The Forth Succession War: Military atlas Vol. 1
The Forth Succession War: Military atlas Vol. 2
BT Novels
Far Country
Mercenary’s Star
Ideal war
Impetus of War
D.R.T.
Sword and Fire
Star lord
Binding Force
Decision at Thunder Rift
Sword and the Dagger
Warrior: En Garde
Warrior: Coupe
Warrior: Riposte

TSR
Dragon Dice
Dawn Patrol
Battle Over Britain

Moments in History
The Triumphant Fox
Piercing the Reich

Stratagy & Tactics
1) Combines arms
2) Oil War
3) Battle for Germany
4) Tank
5) WW1
6) Sixth fleet
7) Panzer Battles (the only game by S&T that is 100% complete)

Misc. Games & Modules
Stratego!!
Battletech card game w/ expansion pack by Fasa
Echelon of FIRE card game 2nd edition by Medallion Simulations
The fall of Tobruk by Conflict Games
Carrier Strike by Milton Bradley
BreakThru by 3m(my rarest game, circa 1963)
Napoleon at Austerlitz by 3W
Luftschiff by Sierra Madre Games Co.
Sealion by The 3rd Millennia ,Inc
Heavy Gear intro
Star Fleet Battles Cadet Training Handbook
Star Fleet Battles Captains Module P3
Star Frontiers Adventure module SF-0: Crash on Volturnos
Harpoon Data Annex
Phoenix Command Lock & load Scenario Pack
Phoenix Command Russian Roulette Scenario Pack
D & D Character Record Folio

Magazines
ASL Critical Hit Issue #2
ASL Critical Hit Issue #3
ASL Critical Hit Issue #4
ASL Critical Hit Vol.3,No. 1
ASL Critical Hit Vol.4,No. 1
S&T nr. 44
S&T nr. 46
S&T nr. 48
S&T nr. 50
S&T nr. 51
S&T nr. 52
S&T nr. 73
General Vol. 20, No. 5
General Vol. 23, No. 1
General Vol. 26, No. 1
General Vol. 26, No. 5
General Vol. 27, No. 3
General Vol. 27, No. 2
General Vol. 27, No. 6
General Vol. 29, No. 4
General Vol. 30, No. 1
General Vol. 31, No. 2
General Vol. 31, No. 3
General Vol. 31, No. 4
General Vol. 31, No. 5
General Vol. 31, No. 6
General Vol. 32, No. 1
General Vol. 32, No. 2
Zone of Control Issue #3, Summer1995
Zone of Control Issue #4, Autumn 1995
Zone of Control Issue #5, Winter 1996
Zone of Control Issue #7 Summer 1996
The art of War Issue #25, Fall 1996
Command Post Quarterly Issue #8
The Tech Factory Issue #6
BattleTechnology Issue #10

new to the forum but id just thought id share my collection

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Wed 26 Jun 2013 01:34

It was a pleasure to approve such a post. ;)

elmoking
Lieutenant

Postby elmoking » Wed 26 Jun 2013 01:57

When I was a child (I guess like, 8/9-15, but as you can imagine an 8 year old with wh40k isnt a pretty sight) I used to collect and play warhammer 40k. I got pretty mad at it for a number of reasons:

(a) disproportionate rising cost. In five years, cost of figurines more than tripled. Cost of the larger plastic tanks increased quite drastically. paints became also expensive, for what they were.

(b) personally I began to find the world quite irritating. full of stupid tropes and memes, it began to become really cliched. you can only deal with so many neckbeards shouting FOR THE EMPEROR so many times.

(c) the game itself was too focused around the luck of the dice and didn't have any strategies whatsoever. I also found to my chagrin that my mechanised company was not really that useful.

i have a lot of memories of going into games workshop when I was liek, 12, 13, playing with my friends. and I went back last time I was in UK and the same old staff working there from eight or nine years ago and some of them actually remembered me. very melancholic, but i've no interest in going back. I'm pretty annoyed that I made my parents waste so money on it, actually.

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Wed 26 Jun 2013 01:57

BTR wrote:It was a pleasure to approve such a post. ;)

hated you had to do so twice.. 1st post had older pics of the games.. after posting it.. i said.. maby i should clean them up and reorganize them neatly..so i deleted the 1st post and then re-post with a full listing of the games.. most of the games where bought from ~'93-'98 with a few bought in the 80's and a few bought around 1999-2005

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Wed 26 Jun 2013 02:21

Killertomato wrote:I have MBT tucked away in a corner somewhere, but I haven't touched it in years. :P

ahh dude MBT is my favorite game ever.. used to love to play that.. even wrote a program that did all the dice rolling and calculations.. that and a game called Piecing the Reich by MOH(moments in history) where awesome.. Piecing the reich used 2 10 sided dice as well as "chits" the chits actually changed the odds so you might have 3 to 1 odds.. after a chit draw.. it might be 1-1 or 1-2.. works both ways though.. might launch a desperate counter attack at 1-1 odds and be at 3-1.. or 1-3.. LOL made things interesting and was quite fun

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Wed 26 Jun 2013 02:38

Brandenburg, you're missing 2 of my favorite Avalon Hill titles. The Russian Campaign and Fortress Europa. There was another D-Day Avalon Hill title in a gigantic $80 box which I can't remember but I had it at one time as well. Was a huge set of counters and IIRC, 5 map boards.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Wed 26 Jun 2013 02:52

I try to avoid Games Workshop products myself (I managed to buy some of their brushes once. They're okay but nothing worth going back for). When I first looked into miniature gaming, I wasn't quite sure it was for me, and as a poor student at that point, the price of entry looked pretty steep. I went to the local Hobbytown to check it out though, as my roommate had talked it up as "really fun" and so forth.

The sticker shock was pretty rude. I mean, the starter sets were steep, but I hadn't realized just how much you needed to even make those more workable. So that gave me second thoughts, but I'm a pretty boring person outside of work/then school, so it wasn't like it was cutting into my "doing something better" fund.

Then I bothered to watch people actually playing Warhammer 40K. Oh god. I was embarrassed to be seen watching them. I know there's plenty of perfectly decent humans who play the warhams, but the motley crew of neckbeard hobo-smells-like-a-urinal people playing, and the constant rules lawyering turned me away pretty quick.

I kept up with boardgames during those years though. We used to have epic Axis and Allies days in which we'd play for 6-8 hours, and then take a break and pick up the next day. I can say with fairly minimal pride I remained undefeated (it is just a game after all).

Regardless I actually got into the miniature stuff after my second deployment. I was in London on leave, and across the way from my hotel was...I forget. It was some sort of nerdstore ("dark tower" maybe?). I'd always liked window shopping, and I was feeling unambitious after finding just how limited public access was at the House of Parliament. I wound up picking up a platoon of M4A1 76's for flames of war, because I thought they looked neat, and like, after going to Iraq the second time, I just found myself with the need to build things.

And so I have. And as much as I like video games, I enjoy the social aspect to the board/miniature games. Much more civil.
Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Wed 26 Jun 2013 04:22

DelroyMonjo wrote:Brandenburg, you're missing 2 of my favorite Avalon Hill titles. The Russian Campaign and Fortress Europa. There was another D-Day Avalon Hill title in a gigantic $80 box which I can't remember but I had it at one time as well. Was a huge set of counters and IIRC, 5 map boards.

Never had the opportunity to get The Russian Campaign
Ahh The D-Day game.. you must be talking about "The Longest day"

Biggest board game I have is "Enemy at the gates".. It has 2240 pieces and four 22x24 map sheets.. Covers the time period of nov 19,1942 to march of 43 at battalion/regiment level

a few years ago I picked up a improved version of Third Reich.. The counters and map are pretty:)

Some of the AH games I picked at a used book store for 10 bucks each.. I bought severa games.. Liftwaffe,France 1940, Entry level game called D-Day,1776, and Richthoven's War.. picking up out of print games for $10.. OHH YEA!!

Piecing the Reich and The Triumpant Fox from MoH
Battle of Britain by TSR.. this game is pretty complex IMO

Return to “Off-Topic”