Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Knautscher
First Sergeant

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Knautscher » Wed 26 Jun 2013 07:00

Brandenburg wrote:I play and collect board war games.. Mostly its more collecting than playing as its hard to find the opponents or the time..

Here is my collection.. Not the best but I do have some hard to find games and 1 or 2 are extremely rare.. The real rare one is sorta hidden but its called Breakthrough by 3m.. published in 1963.. no reprint and uses actual machined aluminum pieces. Another rare one would be Dawn Patrol by TSR.. 1982. the 2 games I have by SPI are probably hard to find as well.. Foxbat and Fantom and wolfpack.. These where the boxed editions of the 'zine games that where in their magazine

Here is a detailed list of all my board games.. some such as ASL arnt in the pic as the game takes up a large AC box
[LIST]

First off: that is an incredible list! :D

Have you had a chance to play "World at War: The Eisenbach Gap" by "Lock'n'Load Games"? I was at a small Wargame convention in April and someone told me about it, but it is not exactly cheap, especially if you have to ferry it across the Atlantic just to have a look at it. So I wondered if you might have played it and could share your thoughts. :)
>Your favourite unit was not included?<
..............................Keep calm and order!...............................

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Thu 27 Jun 2013 03:43

Knautscher wrote:First off: that is an incredible list! :D

Have you had a chance to play "World at War: The Eisenbach Gap" by "Lock'n'Load Games"? I was at a small Wargame convention in April and someone told me about it, but it is not exactly cheap, especially if you have to ferry it across the Atlantic just to have a look at it. So I wondered if you might have played it and could share your thoughts. :)

thx..

Sry but I have never played that game.. I know the company though

on a side note.. I was looking at MMP's website.. specifically at the Games TCS and OCS just too see what is still available.. interesting

then i happened top go the ASL stuff.. was expecting more HASL stuff I think.. also.. that stuff is expensive.. IO remember what I paid fore the rulebook and modules.. considerably cheaper.. but that was 15 years ago.. but still

Also

Liberte
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Liberte » Fri 28 Jun 2013 01:22

I have a small humble collection of boardgames. Just can't find the people to play them with anymore.

As you can see the wargame in there are Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear and a less known medieval Japanese themed titled 'A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos 1570-1584'. For the later I had a friend made me a more robust wooden board map than a paper one of the original.
The dead are no longer aware of themselves, no longer remember God and unable to register time
Please feel free to correct my English grammar. Help me improve.

-TIE-
Private First-Class

Postby -TIE- » Fri 28 Jun 2013 23:50

hey arkham horror :) funny game for a while. Even its no wargame, but I like the coop component.

Liberte
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Liberte » Sat 29 Jun 2013 05:01

-TIE- wrote:hey arkham horror :) funny game for a while. Even its no wargame, but I like the coop component.

Hehehe it's a pretty enjoyable game but for more laughter I prefer Battlestar Galactica. It's co-op too but with undercover opposing team. You never know who are the Cylons and things can get pretty amusing in game with people trying to convince others they are not a Cylon and the Cylons trying to frame other non cylon LOL. Often we put non cylon into the brig as a result LOL. And the crisis oh man it's quite tense. Had so many very close endings.
The dead are no longer aware of themselves, no longer remember God and unable to register time

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Sat 29 Jun 2013 05:48

Liberte wrote:I have a small humble collection of boardgames. Just can't find the people to play them with anymore.

As you can see the wargame in there are Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear and a less known medieval Japanese themed titled 'A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos 1570-1584'. For the later I had a friend made me a more robust wooden board map than a paper one of the original.

I have Conflict of Heroes too, and I really enjoy it! I do like the chance of having an infantry unit going berserk when hit, as I had my glorious comrades wipe out a German squad and an AT gun. Needless to say, my opponent was speechless. I've been playing a scenario when I get the (rare) time against my father. A Soviet armored platoon(3 T-34 model 1940) and 2 Soviet infantry platoons(1 Rifle platoon w/MMG, 1 NKVD platoon w/ MMG, light and heavy mortar) are assaulting a German company HQ, defended by 1 immobilized Pz IV F2 .
The German's have a rifle platoon, a heavy mortar, and an HMG, as well as a squad of pioneers, a AT gun, and a Pz IIIj. The pioneers are working to fix the Pz.4, and must stay in the same hex as it for 4 turns to fix it.
Honestly, the only thing that disappointed me with Conflict of Heroes was the lack of scenarios using the later tanks included(no scenarios use the Pz4 F2, Pz IIIj, Pz. IIIL, only one uses T-34 model 1942)
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Liberte
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Liberte » Sat 29 Jun 2013 06:35

TankHunter wrote:I have Conflict of Heroes too, and I really enjoy it! I do like the chance of having an infantry unit going berserk when hit, as I had my glorious comrades wipe out a German squad and an AT gun. Needless to say, my opponent was speechless. I've been playing a scenario when I get the (rare) time against my father. A Soviet armored platoon(3 T-34 model 1940) and 2 Soviet infantry platoons(1 Rifle platoon w/MMG, 1 NKVD platoon w/ MMG, light and heavy mortar) are assaulting a German company HQ, defended by 1 immobilized Pz IV F2 .
The German's have a rifle platoon, a heavy mortar, and an HMG, as well as a squad of pioneers, a AT gun, and a Pz IIIj. The pioneers are working to fix the Pz.4, and must stay in the same hex as it for 4 turns to fix it.
Honestly, the only thing that disappointed me with Conflict of Heroes was the lack of scenarios using the later tanks included(no scenarios use the Pz4 F2, Pz IIIj, Pz. IIIL, only one uses T-34 model 1942)

Conflict of Heroes series are among the rarer wargames which have high quality production value. The map for example is a thick board as well as all the units. Too bad I don't have the newer Storms of Steel which is set in Kursk 1943. All of my boardgaming friends are not interested in playing any wargame. It has only seen a single play so far and I don't think it will see anymore. You're lucky to be able to play with your dad hehe.

I think you can download custom scenarios made by others on the publisher website. or make your own. Don't worry about balance too much as long as it is generally winnable. War is not fair afterall.

Boardgaming(including tabletop wargaming) is a lot of fun. Dare I say it's a lot funner than playing gaming console or PC. It's more involved, more personal and a lot is shared between the players. It's basically a quality bonding time. Imo more families should try boardgaming and more buddies should give it a try too.

katt
Lieutenant General

Postby katt » Sun 30 Jun 2013 07:58

I have a really old "NATO: Operational Combat in Europe in the 1970s" box in my closet.

And I play Force on Force.

That's it though. >:
人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Wed 17 Jul 2013 02:27

was doing a bit of research and found several websites that either still sell classic games such the ones made by Avalon Hill,SPI,TSR,Moments in History .. etc or if you need a counter upgrades (i.e. nice but expensive)

awesome site and has SO MANY out of print games
http://www.nobleknight.com/

counter upgrade anyone.. nice but pricy..might eventually pick up the Anzio,Stalingrad and Tactics II counters
http://www.2xsindustries.com/store.html

some nice games here
http://wargamedepot.com/

if your into ASL or the ATS (advanced Tobruk System)
This site is killer.. I still have some very early CH mags..good stuff if you play ASL
http://criticalhit.com/catalog/

Phaeton
First Sergeant

Postby Phaeton » Wed 17 Jul 2013 14:22

Warhammer 40000:
Near 3000 pts Dark Angels army
Near 400 pts Imperial Guard supplement

http://i.imgur.com/9jOQ8.jpg
Loyalty is it's own reward - Lion El'Jonson

Return to “Off-Topic”