Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8396
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Fade2Gray » Wed 1 Nov 2017 12:06

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I'm sure I remember talking about 8th Ed with you?

But some of the more over-complex rules have been removed.

Where in the BBB are the rules for vehicles, armor, and all that?
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

User avatar
Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General
Posts: 6368
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:40
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 2 Nov 2017 10:53

Fade2Gray wrote:
Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I'm sure I remember talking about 8th Ed with you?

But some of the more over-complex rules have been removed.

Where in the BBB are the rules for vehicles, armor, and all that?


IIRC, vehicles just have straight out amour saves now, cause the old way was was too RNG.

The only part I'm a bit iffy with them taking out is the flanking/side amour, friend who plays 40k isn't too fussed about it though cause he mains orks and their flanking rules were f**ked, (You could basically side shot Orc amour from a 45' angle off the front.
Image

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8396
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 2 Nov 2017 14:33

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:
Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I'm sure I remember talking about 8th Ed with you?

But some of the more over-complex rules have been removed.

Where in the BBB are the rules for vehicles, armor, and all that?


IIRC, vehicles just have straight out amour saves now, cause the old way was was too RNG.

The only part I'm a bit iffy with them taking out is the flanking/side amour, friend who plays 40k isn't too fussed about it though cause he mains orks and their flanking rules were f**ked, (You could basically side shot Orc amour from a 45' angle off the front.

Wow...

guess I better bust out all my dolls minis this weekend and find someone who can educate me on all of this.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

User avatar
Noway
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed 5 Mar 2014 15:29
Location: Entero somewhere elso
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Noway » Mon 4 Dec 2017 16:21

I've bought 3 sets of Team Yankee( my first tabletop ever) for this Christmas, any tips for gameplay or paiting?
Image

User avatar
[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 14979
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 13:31
Location: Paris, France.
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 4 Dec 2017 16:27

Noway wrote:I've bought 3 sets of Team Yankee( my first tabletop ever) for this Christmas, any tips for gameplay or paiting?

I would suggest Cold War Commander rule instead of Team Yankee.
Battlefront is a bit like the Games Workshop of historical simulation: if you like heroes & countless special rules, you've chosen well. If you want something more "simulation", use CWC. It is a good set of rule for Cold War, made to be played with several scales: I used to play it in 6mm, but BF's 15mm should be OK too.

BF's miniatures are way better than their rules, IMO, and I've been using them to build WW2 Italian & Australian (plus starting 1944 Soviet) armies, as well as both sides for the Indochina War.
Buy & paint their miniatures, but play other rules. ;)

User avatar
Noway
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed 5 Mar 2014 15:29
Location: Entero somewhere elso
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Noway » Mon 4 Dec 2017 16:52

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Noway wrote:I've bought 3 sets of Team Yankee( my first tabletop ever) for this Christmas, any tips for gameplay or paiting?

I would suggest Cold War Commander rule instead of Team Yankee.
Battlefront is a bit like the Games Workshop of historical simulation: if you like heroes & countless special rules, you've chosen well. If you want something more "simulation", use CWC. It is a good set of rule for Cold War, made to be played with several scales: I used to play it in 6mm, but BF's 15mm should be OK too.

BF's miniatures are way better than their rules, IMO, and I've been using them to build WW2 Italian & Australian (plus starting 1944 Soviet) armies, as well as both sides for the Indochina War.
Buy & paint their miniatures, but play other rules. ;)


Yup, I've read the rulebook, You're right,there is a lot of them. But somehow I find them quite clear. Before I decided to buy TY, I've read about Cold Wa Commander You suggested. But the problem is this system is extremelly hard to buy here, all is out of stock or can be brought from abroat. Besides, I live very close to the shop with that kind of games, where is a lot of Battlefront's games and stuff, so it will be easy to buy next sets if the game will be fun. But if I find somewhere CWC rulebook I try to play as You suggested. Thanks for tip. :D
Image

User avatar
[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 14979
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 13:31
Location: Paris, France.
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 4 Dec 2017 16:55

I've bought CWC ruloebook's digital version online, here:
http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/def ... x?Area=CWC

And you've got plenty of additional army/campaign TO&E to download for free here:
http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Con ... fault.aspx

User avatar
Noway
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed 5 Mar 2014 15:29
Location: Entero somewhere elso
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Noway » Mon 4 Dec 2017 17:07

[EUG]MadMat wrote:I've bought CWC ruloebook's digital version online, here:
http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/def ... x?Area=CWC

And you've got plenty of additional army/campaign TO&E to download for free here:
http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Con ... fault.aspx


I kown those pagaes, but I appriceate. If I won't find paper version, I do the same thig You did.
Image

User avatar
[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 14979
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 13:31
Location: Paris, France.
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 4 Dec 2017 17:27

Which army(ies) are you planning to collect?

User avatar
Noway
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed 5 Mar 2014 15:29
Location: Entero somewhere elso
Contact:

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Noway » Mon 4 Dec 2017 17:38

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Which army(ies) are you planning to collect?


I've bought basic starterpack ( rulebook(translated) dices, etc.) and starterpacks for US and USSR. All was fair cheap and if I like the game enough, I'll expand US and USSR. The problem is, BF has a very limited choise. For Warsaw Pact You can paint USSR as NSWP, but for Nato there is only US, UK and WGer. CWC has a lot more to chose from.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests