Favorite Total War game and mods?

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Favorite Total War game and mods?

Postby TankHunter » Tue 2 Jul 2013 08:16

I've recently begun playing Napoleon: Total War again, after downloading the Darth Mod, which honestly improves it in every single way, with increased unit sizes (500 men militia, 360 men line, 240 men skirmishers, 120 men cavalry, etc), better effects(realistic amounts of smoke, a lot! Blood effects,optional projectile tracer effects), more nations for campaign(Kingdom of Italy, Netherlands, more I don't remember), and a metric crap ton of new units.
The only other TW game I've played was Rome, which I enjoyed immensely, but Napoleon is my favorite.

Playing as Italy in Darth Mod, I've done some rather cool things, like injuring Napoleon(you can't kill him,it seems. He is the leader of France after all ) and smashing his entire force, as well as annihilating the whole Old Guard!
France also attempted to besiege Milan, held by my Militia and Armed Citizens, with only 2 Line Garrisons(they have higher melee defense, lower melee attack, new unit) against a French attack, with 5 artillery batteries,heavy cavalry, light gun armed cavalry, and a lot of normal line troops. I deployed my entire force in the City(in the left half of my deployment), with all the line and militia in buildings or behind redoubts, placed on the roads of the city, so that I blocked the majority of the city from cavalry. I had one unit of citizenry garrison the ruins outside my deployment, and stalled the French until they stormed it and massacred them. They assaulted the city, but didn't manage to take any of the fortified buildings. They did take the left-side road, but my garrison in the manor held them off. I eventually routed all the French infantry and cavalry. after that, my remaining militia, citizenry,and line troops charged across open ground and silenced the French artillery.

I also won Waterloo as Napoleon, and killed The Duke of Wellington in the first artillery barrage of the battle!
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Favorite Total War game and mods?

Postby Graphic » Tue 2 Jul 2013 09:31

Favorite TW is either Medieval 2 or *gulp* Empire.

Best mods for Medieval 2 were Stainless Steel (bigger map with more space between cities, plus expansion factions in the grand campaign) and Broken Crescent, a mod switching the focus to the medieval middle east. The latter in particular was superb to me. It felt like an official expansion pack, not an amateur's mod.

The best mods for ETW to me were the Ornamentum unit packs. Again, they felt more like official unit DLC than user made units, very high quality. You can get them here: http://ornamentum.chrome.hu/downloads
k

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Tue 2 Jul 2013 09:44

I never played Empire, although I've(like many people) heard that it was broken for a very long time. Was it ever fixed, or did they just give it up for Napoleon? I'm also contemplating buying R:TW II, but the 60 dollar price is a little high for me, although I would like to have the pre-orde bonus thing.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Graphic

Postby Graphic » Tue 2 Jul 2013 10:03

They have a habit of releasing the pre-order bonuses as cheap DLC later, so if you're reluctant to pay the $60 it's probably safe to just wait and get it cheap.

Empire was definitely broken for a long time, but after many many many patches it finally became a good game. I loved the epic scale of it. I hope the next TW after Rome II is Empire II, set in the 1800s. The Scramble for Africa, Crimean War, American Civil War, etc. in a TW game would be epic.
k

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Tue 2 Jul 2013 10:36

Graphic wrote:They have a habit of releasing the pre-order bonuses as cheap DLC later, so if you're reluctant to pay the $60 it's probably safe to just wait and get it cheap.

Empire was definitely broken for a long time, but after many many many patches it finally became a good game. I loved the epic scale of it. I hope the next TW after Rome II is Empire II, set in the 1800s. The Scramble for Africa, Crimean War, American Civil War, etc. in a TW game would be epic.

That would be great, and if it covered the era around the Crimean War and the ACW, that also opens up the Unification of Germany and Italy, Franco Prussian War, etc. Now I'm liking where this could go! Especially as it would bring in Foreign intervention etc. That why Total War is always cool, what-if is great. However, I'm still pissed that the game wouldn't let me kill Napoleon in a campaign battle, it said he was wounded, but I found his corpse, and watched him get stabbed by my cavalry :evil:

DeuZerre
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Tue 2 Jul 2013 11:42

Favourite? I'd have said Empire or Napoleon. Vanilla Napoleon was great.

Then comes Shogun 2, but it's filled with flaws
Then ROME, because it's the first I had.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Tue 2 Jul 2013 12:17

Stainless Steel for MII.

Inpute
Staff Sergeant

Postby Inpute » Wed 3 Jul 2013 06:59

I'd have to give my vote to Empire overall. The huge map combined with the time period was amazing for a total war game. Given that the game had plenty of bugs and wasn't exactly the best total war game play wise, I'd still say it was the best experience overall I've had with a total war game. Combined with the Empires of Destiny mod, it was definitely an unparalleled experience for me in the total war series.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Wed 3 Jul 2013 08:06

I've been following the WWI mod ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-mod ), and the earlier versions of it(all beta, not complete) are available for download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?455480-The-Great-War-Patch-4-6-DOWNLOAD-amp-Information. I am going to test it tomorrow, see if its playable. I've heard the AI isn't up to fighting WWI, but then I can just pretend its 1914, and the AI is a general attempting to fight the wars gone past :D .
Warning: I've heard that this version of the mod may mess up NTW and require you to delete NTW and reinstall it to fix it. I will test this FOR SCIENCE!

And I've been playing as Prussia in NTW, and am now reuniting the German states, having liberated Hannover. I will probably play a game as some random minor nation next (Greece?)

katt
Lieutenant General

Postby katt » Wed 3 Jul 2013 15:53

ETW

NTW with Khartum mod.
人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

Return to “Off-Topic”