Postby OpusTheFowl » Thu 11 Jul 2013 19:16

diana olympos wrote:Endless space?

nvm...just got it... :lol:

Curse you Steam!!!!

praslovan
Major-General

Re: what to play when bored from ab ?

Postby praslovan » Fri 12 Jul 2013 13:59

Endless Space is a big hot pile of dung. It desynces in MP constantly. And community on those forums is about the same as this one:
"WE WANT NEW UNITS AND STUFF, screw fundamental flaws that happen 'rarely'... every match at least 10x. That is nothing, we used to have 10000x." :x

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Sat 13 Jul 2013 01:52

Let me present you my noble alien killer crew so far:

Damn, I named Leroy as a one shot girl to stun and capture an alien and look at her now, Jenkins would be proud :D Thought about naming the sniper as Viking but the computer suggested Ice... meh, who was I to argue :mrgreen:

Oh, and the name of the game is XCOM Enemy Unknown. Damn I've enjoyed this so much so far. Got many troopers killed so far but to see my badass crew getting promoted like this... dayyyum, that's so cool!
ImageImage

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Sat 13 Jul 2013 03:37

Buck Turgidson wrote:Oh, and the name of the game is XCOM Enemy Unknown. Damn I've enjoyed this so much so far. Got many troopers killed so far but to see my badass crew getting promoted like this... dayyyum, that's so cool!

Just got this too...really looking forward to it...

Kilrauko
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kilrauko » Sat 13 Jul 2013 03:46

I have to say the new Xcom was nice until one discovers dual sniper w/squad sight and levels + tactics become meaningless. Until the game decides it's time to end your legendary iron man by spawning enemy squad literally atop yours due to bug... not that I'm bitter or anything.

For me Crusader Kings 2 from Paradox has been always a nice relaxing game. Plotting to backstab your relatives before they do you in and your next character ends up being some inbred uncle from whatever ville because he happened to be born to your dad after you. Good times. But if you look for it, get all major gameplay enhancing DLC's, the latest one is really nice. http://youtu.be/Y53_GV2aAg8

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sat 13 Jul 2013 04:33

Been playing Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead lately. Have a decent character going, survived 9 days so far.

Cutting edge graphics!

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Sat 13 Jul 2013 04:47

OpusTheFowl wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:Oh, and the name of the game is XCOM Enemy Unknown. Damn I've enjoyed this so much so far. Got many troopers killed so far but to see my badass crew getting promoted like this... dayyyum, that's so cool!

Just got this too...really looking forward to it...

Here's a tip: don't spend too much time playing with the tutorial. I made the mistake... limits your gaming experience quite a lot. It's good for the first 30 minutes but after that it gets annoying - forces you to take paths and make decisions according to the tutorial makers. Once you get to the annoying point, just start a new game with the tutorial turned off and enjoy :)

It's a pretty nice turn based tactics game. Even badass if I may say. The AI can be a challenge - be very, very careful! Being paranoid and cautious seems to pay off in this game :)
ImageImage

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Sat 13 Jul 2013 07:43

I've been playing Insurgency quite a bit. Even though it is in beta, it is quite fun, whether in (no respawn ONLY) multiplayer, or co-op.
Have also been plain MoH: Warfighter on X360. Although the reviews painted it as badm it is a much better "CoD-esque" game than CoD itself. Furthermore, it has a great CTF mode, called "Home Run". It is basically 1-way CTF with no respawns. 10 3-minute rounds, with switch at half time. The attackers must take one of the 2 flags and run it back to their safe zone.

On another note:
Has anyone have experience with STALKER: Call of Pripyat? I'm planning on getting the game, if it goes on sale. Having seen gameplay of the MISERY 2.0 mod, I might just wait until the 31st, when it releases, to get Call of Pripyat. Does anyone have any other suggestions
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Kilrauko
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kilrauko » Sat 13 Jul 2013 09:16

TankHunter wrote:On another note:
Has anyone have experience with STALKER: Call of Pripyat? I'm planning on getting the game, if it goes on sale. Having seen gameplay of the MISERY 2.0 mod, I might just wait until the 31st, when it releases, to get Call of Pripyat. Does anyone have any other suggestions

As a owner of all 3 STALKERs and player since SoC came out, remember the main selling point for games is the atmosphere and semi-open world. Stalker series is semi-bad to deliver a plot, dont get me wrong there is one tying areas and moving you onwards, but some side quests etc just scream "I was added to be spooky zombiesque mission" etc. Plotwise "better" shooter would actually be Metro series, considering Metro 2033 is by now at low price and Last Light was just released (to quite good praise.) Mind you Metro's on the other hand lack the whole open world aspect that Stalkers have rooting for them.

Stalker just has so nice atmosphere, running in wast open world, scrounging for supplies and caches while dodging mutant dogs that do nothing but eat up your precious ammo... Or your legs. The feel of game changing when you find your first scoped rifle and tables turn from hunted becoming hunter, dodging radiation areas and deadly psyche affecting traps to collect expensive anomaly that helps you to reach money jackpot to upgrade your gun with night vision scope. Oh man I remember my first play of Shadow of Chernobyl, getting eaten by bunch of wild dogs 2 mins after leaving the starter village, then going south and getting massacred by army personnel, kinda fell in love after that, the game is best experienced at hardest difficulty when things really hurt, just be adviced that the enemy player detection mechanics dont exactly favor "stealth sneak into base" gameplay.

Yeah, it's good game, just do yourself a favor and try your best to resist any sort of faq or online item drop map, the best part of the game imho is scrounging and trying to survive and that's kinda pointless if you beeline to the sniper rifle during the first 10 minutes. Oh and get Call of Pripyat, Clear Sky still has optimization issues and SoC while having ton of mods by now has aged as well. Best bet is to keep eyes out for "stalker pack" that most likely will show up during the sale that has all 3 for real cheapo price, the map areas etc change a little from title to title, so if you find wanting for more after CoP you can run the previous ones. Plotwise the timeline is CS->SoC->CoP, but knowledge is not really required.

Here's Yahtzee's view to Clear Sky, it applies to all tbh.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Sat 13 Jul 2013 20:21

Thanks, it seems STALKER just might be the type of game I was looking for!
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Return to “Off-Topic”