what to play when bored from ab ?

OpusTheFowl
General

Re: what to play when bored from ab ?

Postby OpusTheFowl » Sat 13 Jul 2013 20:24

TankHunter wrote:I've been playing Insurgency quite a bit.

I played this ages ago when it was just a HL2 mod and loved it...haven't tried the 'new' version but it's on the list...

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Sat 13 Jul 2013 20:48

OpusTheFowl wrote:
TankHunter wrote:I've been playing Insurgency quite a bit.

I played this ages ago when it was just a HL2 mod and loved it...haven't tried the 'new' version but it's on the list...

It is not complete, as it is on early access. It only has one weapon for each role (M16/AKM, MP5/MP40, M40/ Mosin Nagant, and 2 shotguns, plus pistols, grenades, explosives,etc.) and as such doesn't have the same content as the mod. And it isn't exactly a very lively game. I rarely see more than 2 near full servers.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sat 13 Jul 2013 22:58

praslovan wrote:Endless Space is a big hot pile of dung. It desynces in MP constantly. And community on those forums is about the same as this one:
"WE WANT NEW UNITS AND STUFF, screw fundamental flaws that happen 'rarely'... every match at least 10x. That is nothing, we used to have 10000x." :x

Whats the best 4x then atm in your opinion? I really want to try a new one, and if Endless Space is a no-go...

Kilrauko
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kilrauko » Sat 13 Jul 2013 23:59

Guggy wrote:Whats the best 4x then atm in your opinion? I really want to try a new one, and if Endless Space is a no-go...

If you want 4x with combat focus, not so much emphasis on diplomacy/trade/espionance aspect the first Sword of Stars with expansions is rock solid. And this is important, the SOTS 1, not 2. Not the new one, nope. Feel free to check metacritic etc, while Cerberus as gamestudio has stayed true for their games and fixed them for long while, SOTS 2 is still quite bad, it might become semi-good after expansion or two but with none in the pipeline, you're better off with SOTS 1 that already has had that few expansions and support. The main selling point of SOTS 1 is randomized tech trees, where instead given that same civ tech tree every time where you progress through min/maxed research, you are given some key techs at 100% likelihood and rest varies depending on your race. Certain races might be more inclined to have laser tech guns in their ships, having 20-90% chance for them to appear (yes, rolled at the start of new game for each tech you have, it's possible to "steal" tech various ways from enemy to fill up your lack) while at the same time having sucky 5-25% chance for rail weaponry. Some more tech advanced races have access to various medical and economical techs whereas crappy tech races might be "key weapon trees only, conquer the rest."

Combat between ships is done in glorious 3d with ships you've designed in MoO fashion where you can target down to individual turrets, different sections of ships and facing of your ships matters to what turrets from your ship can shoot. It's the selling point for the game, well along with randomized tech three and truly unique races with their different travel methods. Cons are almost non-existing diplomacy (you either bash their head in or they're your friends, that you bash head in later or not) and while AI does play aggressively, with some races new players might find that too much as the military rolfstomp when you just tried to tech and have happy times is quite bad. Can be avoided by leaving certain alien races, namely the Zuul, away from comp starting choices. For combat 4x, SOTS 1 complete collection (with all 3 expansions.) Complete collection is 5€ or whatever your local variant atm in steam. Stay away from SOTS 2...

For more overall 4x game, Galactic Civilizations II endless universe (or whatever the name for all dlc's pack is.) http://www.videogamer.com/pc/galactic_civilizations_ii_endless_universe/review.html I believe the steam price is somewhere in the 7€ ballpark or so.

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Sun 14 Jul 2013 04:35

I went into WEE this afternoon to see if anyone was keeping the place dusted and free of spiders and cobwebs. Player count was 99 @ 02:00GMT and there was a lonely HH game needing a sixth player so I jumped in for old times sake. I played Pact and 1 of our team dropped at the setup so it was 2v3. Nato tried to Helo spam us and thought they had the commies on the hill by the ballz, NO WAY! I guess that's why they made those Polish Knee-whiz helos, to knock down Apaches. Game over.
Was fun.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Sun 14 Jul 2013 05:13

Kilrauko wrote:
Guggy wrote:Whats the best 4x then atm in your opinion? I really want to try a new one, and if Endless Space is a no-go...

If you want 4x with combat focus, not so much emphasis on diplomacy/trade/espionance aspect the first Sword of Stars with expansions is rock solid. And this is important, the SOTS 1, not 2. Not the new one, nope. Feel free to check metacritic etc, while Cerberus as gamestudio has stayed true for their games and fixed them for long while, SOTS 2 is still quite bad, it might become semi-good after expansion or two but with none in the pipeline, you're better off with SOTS 1 that already has had that few expansions and support. The main selling point of SOTS 1 is randomized tech trees, where instead given that same civ tech tree every time where you progress through min/maxed research, you are given some key techs at 100% likelihood and rest varies depending on your race. Certain races might be more inclined to have laser tech guns in their ships, having 20-90% chance for them to appear (yes, rolled at the start of new game for each tech you have, it's possible to "steal" tech various ways from enemy to fill up your lack) while at the same time having sucky 5-25% chance for rail weaponry. Some more tech advanced races have access to various medical and economical techs whereas crappy tech races might be "key weapon trees only, conquer the rest."

Combat between ships is done in glorious 3d with ships you've designed in MoO fashion where you can target down to individual turrets, different sections of ships and facing of your ships matters to what turrets from your ship can shoot. It's the selling point for the game, well along with randomized tech three and truly unique races with their different travel methods. Cons are almost non-existing diplomacy (you either bash their head in or they're your friends, that you bash head in later or not) and while AI does play aggressively, with some races new players might find that too much as the military rolfstomp when you just tried to tech and have happy times is quite bad. Can be avoided by leaving certain alien races, namely the Zuul, away from comp starting choices. For combat 4x, SOTS 1 complete collection (with all 3 expansions.) Complete collection is 5€ or whatever your local variant atm in steam. Stay away from SOTS 2...

What annoyed me about SOTS series (I forgot which installment I played, but I toyed with it for a couple weeks) was that you couldn't really enjoy the combat because everything was decided in the economic part: Either you built more/bigger ships and roflstomped the AI, or the AI outbuilt and roflstomped you.

Since there was no battles-only mode, you were left with a rather meh 4x game with occasional moments of excitement when roughly equal fleets fought.

I suppose if I got into multiplayer, it could've been more interesting.

Best wishes,
Daniel.
Nationality? - Russian.
Occupation? - No, no, just visiting.

Kilrauko
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kilrauko » Sun 14 Jul 2013 10:07

Gopblin wrote:What annoyed me about SOTS series (I forgot which installment I played, but I toyed with it for a couple weeks) was that you couldn't really enjoy the combat because everything was decided in the economic part: Either you built more/bigger ships and roflstomped the AI, or the AI outbuilt and roflstomped you.

Since there was no battles-only mode, you were left with a rather meh 4x game with occasional moments of excitement when roughly equal fleets fought.

Best wishes,
Daniel.

The Closest you will get for fight only simulator is progression scenario where you tech&build things solo for some turns, then your homeworld fleet gets taken and tossed to new galaxy to start the process again, fighting against ever increasing difficulty enemies.

Could the rolfstom have been because AI counter built against your ships after first few battles? Yes, the ai is programmed so that if you show up constantly in say plasma torpedo sniper ships, it will tech for faster speed and close range high dps weapons so your long range ships wont be as effective down the line, basically "forcing" you to attempt to keep ahead of in the tech curve by designing counters for counters based on what you used for while. The AI also is *very* aggressive for certain races, read especially Zuul that you cannot really get peace before you're stomping them, at which point you have no reason to peace them. It is possible to win from inferior positions just by using your techs to fullest and microing in the fleet fights (disabling enemy engines with missiles while running circles around planet, then doing roundback trip to kill now separated ships) but it all is determined by race, tech and so forth. By no means it's easy hence my warning that you cannot really save yourself by just minding your own business or with diplomacy, apart from doing alliance with some other race to gang up on whoever is your superior, if you're getting your face kicked in and are at inferior, position alone, you really have no bargaining power to make peace.

It also could have been that you got one random events say, neumann machine, rolfstomped it and in return got stomped when their mothership comes to pay visit some time later with eye for revenge. Or triggered fights when celestial peacekeeper was visiting. The randoms are quite deadly but most often target only players in superior position, so it could also land against AI, mind you the random events can be beaten with late game tech ships/setups, but for starting empires, they might be game ending. Some peeps turn randoms off altogether just because of their ability to toss monkey wrench to otherwise carefully planned and executed play. The main difference between sots 1 and 2 is that in 1 you have freedom to move ships around "old style" between systems, in sots 2, you are forced to do it via fleet menu, where instead of ordering ships to move on some unknown solar system to attack, you're forced to run harass etc fleet missions from which the fleets return to their system of origin. While I've put well over 300 hours to SOTS 1 since it came out, I'm still at under 30 for SOTS 2 due to, well, let's just say it's not exactly good. Mind you SOTS 1 is not exactly god sent either, but it's combats are nice enough imho to carry it, mileage varies ofc.

wildZguy
Sergeant

Postby wildZguy » Sun 14 Jul 2013 23:11

If you want some good stratagey games you could play civ 5, the total wars (best one is Rome IMO)

Or for shooters u could get plant side 2 battlefield, dayz arms 2 mod, or natural selection 2

Final option is to keep playing wa:alb :lol:

katt
Lieutenant General

Postby katt » Mon 15 Jul 2013 01:10

Gopblin wrote:
Kilrauko wrote:

What annoyed me about SOTS series (I forgot which installment I played, but I toyed with it for a couple weeks) was that you couldn't really enjoy the combat because everything was decided in the economic part: Either you built more/bigger ships and roflstomped the AI, or the AI outbuilt and roflstomped you.

Best wishes,
Daniel.

Spam torpedo cruisers with deflectors.

Win literally every fight.

minmax al day errday
人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spektre » Mon 15 Jul 2013 18:20

anyone tried dragon commander?
btw... I own arma now and wow its great but needs a lot of training
and has some boring times, like when you move from point to point on the map etc
and after lightyears of waiting in ee and ab lobbys and super static gameplay I need some faster action
with a bit strategy
WTF?

Return to “Off-Topic”