The Music Thread

Firestarter
Lieutenant

Re: The Music Thread

Postby Firestarter » Fri 4 Oct 2013 13:02

@ Brandenburg
Quite the equipment you have there :D I've always wanted a 7 string but where I live they are way too expensive and ordering through ebay or something like that is gonna cost even more with shipping :/
And guitar rig is a very useful program, I have a plugin that works with Audacity so I can record music directly through my PC with digital distortion, you can almost not notice the difference in quality :D
Also if you're interested, you can buy studio condenser microphones for around 200-300 euros and record straight off the amp and get really good audio, been experimenting with that myself.

Drrty-D
Major

Postby Drrty-D » Fri 4 Oct 2013 13:11

FirestarterMKD wrote:@ Brandenburg
Quite the equipment you have there :D I've always wanted a 7 string but where I live they are way too expensive and ordering through ebay or something like that is gonna cost even more with shipping :/
And guitar rig is a very useful program, I have a plugin that works with Audacity so I can record music directly through my PC with digital distortion, you can almost not notice the difference in quality :D
Also if you're interested, you can buy studio condenser microphones for around 200-300 euros and record straight off the amp and get really good audio, been experimenting with that myself.

What program is Audacity??Never heard of,try using Ableton Live(the newest version probably),there you can setup your guitar and do million realtime effect on your guitar sound.The setup is not the easiest process,but RTFM over the internet or help file and in 1,2 months you are ready to do wonders,belive me ;) .
Even bands like Depeche Mode and other use Ableton Live on their live gigs,so its no nooby program ;) .

Firestarter
Lieutenant

Postby Firestarter » Fri 4 Oct 2013 13:39

Drrty-D wrote:What program is Audacity??Never heard of,try using Ableton Live(the newest version probably),there you can setup your guitar and do million realtime effect on your guitar sound.The setup is not the easiest process,but RTFM over the internet or help file and in 1,2 months you are ready to do wonders,belive me ;) .
Even bands like Depeche Mode and other use Ableton Live on their live gigs,so its no nooby program ;) .

Audacity is basically a very, very easy to use recording software, so for beginners its a really useful tool, specially for me since I've only had about 6-7 months of experience with recording and post-processing. I've been recommended other programs as well but will definitively check this one out as well :)

Drrty-D
Major

Postby Drrty-D » Fri 4 Oct 2013 13:45

FirestarterMKD wrote:
Drrty-D wrote:What program is Audacity??Never heard of,try using Ableton Live(the newest version probably),there you can setup your guitar and do million realtime effect on your guitar sound.The setup is not the easiest process,but RTFM over the internet or help file and in 1,2 months you are ready to do wonders,belive me ;) .

Audacity is basically a very, very easy to use recording software, so for beginners its a really useful tool, specially for me since I've only had about 6-7 months of experience with recording and post-processing. I've been recommended other programs as well but will definitively check this one out as well :)

Dont spend time on amatuerish software,go hard core from begin :) .Really,if you dont have Pentium 2 proccesor go Ableton Live asap(quality of sound caard is also very important).Watch some youtube cips of possibilitys you have to tweak your guitar sound,its epic.There are also tons of tutorial vidoes how to setup your settings to work correctly.My tip-dont give up so quickly,it will take your time to set it up and that everything works,but then you can save that sound setup and wont have to do it again next time you launch the program ;) .

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Fri 4 Oct 2013 22:10

FirestarterMKD wrote:@ Brandenburg

If you haven't guessed I buy most of my equipment used and I tend to buy alot at this local pawn shop..you can get an entry level 7 string for probably 2 to 3 hundred.. Depends where you live though.. I buy locally.. I ABSOLUTELY will not buy a guitar through ebay or any place else for that matter.. I have to be able to look down the length of the neck, play it a bit,etc.. AMPS I might consider buying through the mail if I see a good deal and have the funds available
<edit>shipping is indeed very expensive.. only reason I bought the 7 string is just to have for those occasions I want to tune down to C or D.. Its rarely played.. I think Ive played it maby 3 or 4 times in 6 months.. The guitar will be played more as soon as i rewire it and give it a pickup swap.. Its going to be totally epic when im done

I want to eventually plan on using mic's to record.. Ill probably get an isolation cabinet so I wont cause structural damage to walls.. LOL.. The RANDALL is like no other SS amp you have ever heard.. Very tube like in that.. the distortion really does get better the louder you crank it.. and its scary how much volume this amp can produce. Never had it above 5 and thats including practice with a band at stage volumes or in a bar.. 150 watts RMS running a 4x12 of celestians 80 watt leads w/99dbl sensitivity .. 80x4=320watts..VERY LOUD.. The peavey cabinet uses Sheffield 1290 which are modeled after the celestian G12M-75.. they are "ok" . the speaker cabinet I used to have with the celestian 80's was better sounding IMO

atm.. I record with a MS HD webcam and I set the audio to "what you hear". This works well as I all I do is covers for the most part

Here is a list of programs I use:
Guitar Rig 4/5.. I also have peaveys Revalver Mark III and Amplitube but I prefer GR
PC Drummer.. simple drum machine that sounds pretty good
Transcribe!.. Excellent program if you want to slow a song down or change its pitch
TempoPerfect.. Decent metronome program... used to use PC drummer for this but Im liking this dedicated metronome program better..for practicing scales ..I still use PC drummer for riff writing though
Guitar Pro 6.. great tab program.. I get most of my tabs from http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
I also have Audacity but rarely use it

here is a small sample of my playing..
[How do you imbed a youtube video on this forum..? the other forum im a regular at uses the YT tag]
YT name is bionicbio
http://youtu.be/M_uRRkWsJ2Y

all of my stuffed animals are sorta my band..audience..mascots:)

here is a roll call
SMALL SNAKE (on the headstock)-Lead Guitar;SugarCane Jane
BEAR-Bass;Demetri
COBRA-Rhythm Guitar;Slick von Slithers
KOALA-Drums;Walter
BRONTOSAURUS-Keyboard;Vladimir (not 100% set on that name)
TWIN BABY SEALS-backup vocals;No name decided yet
SEAL-acoustic Guitar/Lead singer;Mr. Seal

edit>
An example of a riff i wrote a while back.. it actually has a pretty good hook too it.. Yea.. I was surprised when I was just messing around and came up with it late one night..
http://youtu.be/aWwoNHxJrCg

Firestarter
Lieutenant

Postby Firestarter » Sat 5 Oct 2013 14:06

Brandenburg wrote:An example of a riff i wrote a while back.. it actually has a pretty good hook too it.. Yea.. I was surprised when I was just messing around and came up with it late one night..

I like it, sounds a lot like old Alice in Chains.
I will try out PC drummer because I want to make trip-hop as well, but for my main project I just record my drum patterns on the drum set me and my friends have in our garage. I use the condenser mics and the sound turns up really well.

And I like that you do everything yourself, keep the DIY spirit alive! :D

Brandenburg
Corporal

Postby Brandenburg » Sat 5 Oct 2013 15:54

FirestarterMKD wrote:
Brandenburg wrote:An example of a riff i wrote a while back.. it actually has a pretty good hook too it.. Yea.. I was surprised when I was just messing around and came up with it late one night..

I like it, sounds a lot like old Alice in Chains.

thx.. just something that just happened.. The sound patch you hear in GR 5 is a called 80's SOLO, but i tweaked it a bit. That is my goto sound for rhythm as well as solos

FirestarterMKD wrote:I will try out PC drummer because I want to make trip-hop as well, but for my main project I just record my drum patterns on the drum set me and my friends have in our garage. I use the condenser mics and the sound turns up really well.

PC drummer is an older program but still holds its own i think.. I used to use frootloops but pc drummer has better drum sounds imo.. I also have EZ drummer and its supposed to be really good but have never used it

FirestarterMKD wrote:And I like that you do everything yourself, keep the DIY spirit alive! :D

I appologize for the extra pics or the size of this part of my post... easier to show that to explain:D
Well I have a degree in electronics and I like the idea of doing things myself
here is the wiring diagram I drew up for my Jackson
and what it looked like when I was done.. I also did several cosmetic changed like gold pickup cover for the single coil,knobs,neckplate,etc as well
Here is the randall footswitch I made.. I refused to pay 100+ for a footswitch off ebay that is 25 or so years old.. My solution was to by a cheap but sturdy generic 2 button footswitch.. gut it,drill 2 holes for the LEDS and rewire it.. total cost was like $45 for the pedal,6 conductor wire, and the special cinch connectors this amp uses.. one peculiarity of the randall RG 100.. its impossible to totally switch off a channel w/o it. The amps only weakness and I think I sorta know why that is too.. Only issue I have with the footswitch is the way I did the stress relief.. didn't have one (was forgotten during planning.. and was my 1st DIY adventure.. LOL)so I improvised and used making tape and wrapped it to the correct thickness.. It works but is far from ideal

here is the wiring diagram for the ESP.. Just need the funds.. LOL.. 2 pickups plus the switches will cost around 250.. just dont have the spare cash to spend on a guitar that's not played that much..my PC takes priority:)

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spektre » Mon 7 Oct 2013 12:30

https://soundcloud.com/zoetropes/zoetro ... sformation

my most succesfull track so far

I can only suggest to buy a good interface first, then monitor speakers
and then sequencer of choice (ableton, cubase or logic are the best)
WTF?

Raymond Saint
Lieutenant

Postby Raymond Saint » Mon 21 Oct 2013 01:35

Very funny song about DDR's Frei Deutsche Jugend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mDW4xw8T8

Raymond Saint
Lieutenant

Postby Raymond Saint » Tue 22 Oct 2013 18:34

Return to “Off-Topic”