Better To Run To Best Nearby Shelter After Nuclear Blast

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Better To Run To Best Nearby Shelter After Nuclear Blast

Postby DelroyMonjo » Sun 19 Jan 2014 00:56

Ya' think?
No doubt a taxpayer funded research grant to tell me this rather shocking revelation.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/01/16/research-shows-its-better-to-run-away-from-nuclear-detonation-blast/
Illegitimi non carborundum.

katt
Lieutenant General

Re: Better To Run To Best Nearby Shelter After Nuclear Blast

Postby katt » Sun 19 Jan 2014 01:21

To the tune of some outrageous price like $500,000.

Considering the past 50 years of civil defence has been telling people it's better to build a makeshift shelter in their homes and wait it out, this isn't exactly blue skies.
人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

DrRansom
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DrRansom » Sun 19 Jan 2014 01:28

katt - Actually, I remember this was an output from the Bush administration, the initial reports appeared some time ago.

Generally, Civil Defense in the US stopped being emphasized in the era of Megaton ICBMs aimed at city. It was resurrected in the 00's because the Bush administration thought that a terrorist nuke would be small enough that Civil Defense drills would help the population survive.

More simply, a 1 to 10 kt ground burst allows for some sane civil defense, while a 100 to 1,000 kt air burst doesn't.

As for what to do, I thought it was:

- stay indoors for the first 30 minutes
- if you can, move to the geometric center of the largest building around, so that you are far away from surfaces on which radioactive particles will collect.
- evacuate depending on the size of the structure and the fallout pattern. If outside the fallout pattern, you can move after a short period of time. If within the fallout patter, your time to evacuate depends on the size of the structure. Small house, evac sooner, large building, evac later.

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Sun 19 Jan 2014 02:36

Unfortunately there are not really many Fallout shelters as neither side was supposed to protect the majority of their population. It was sort of an unspoken rule. If one side could protect their population enough they may not fear a retaliatory strike on their cities. Russia did have a few and Moscow was expected to use the Metro but there were not a lot of huge govt. shelters.

It all depends on where you live though. You get Airbursts and your pretty safe if not near the blast. If you live in Kansas or around the Silo's, well, kiss your glowing ass goodbye. Groundbursts to take out silo's are nasty and usually larger ICBM's(as many SLBM's are not considered accurate enough). A terrorist type nuke will probably be in the low kiloton range and most likely a ground detonation. Even a 5kt could make a nice radioactive puff with all that city debris to throw around, and in that case it could be weeks before its safe or longer.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Radioshow is not a troll, he is our resident Doom Prophet.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Sun 19 Jan 2014 02:41

Hell, speaking as someone who'd probably get fried in an airburst if things had really gone bad, I'd go outside and end it fast. Not much point living in a post-nuclear-war world.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

REDDQ
General

Postby REDDQ » Sun 19 Jan 2014 16:24

True, even if you made it into shelter situation is somehow always bound to go sideways.

Return to “Off-Topic”