KA-50 vs M48 Chapparal (DCS)

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: KA-50 vs M48 Chapparal (DCS)

Postby another505 » Wed 12 Mar 2014 08:21

poor akula
Of Salt

Kovlovsky
Captain

Postby Kovlovsky » Wed 12 Mar 2014 08:37

another505 wrote:poor akula

I'm actually surprised it survived the first missile hit. It seemed to have exploded very near the Akula.
Courtesy of Graphic

Nequit
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Nequit » Wed 12 Mar 2014 09:06

Kovlovsky wrote:
another505 wrote:poor akula

I'm actually surprised it survived the first missile hit. It seemed to have exploded very near the Akula.

It survived because it lacks the tail rotor. And that's the reason why in-game Ka-50 should get rear armor.

Darth-Lampshade
Captain

Postby Darth-Lampshade » Wed 12 Mar 2014 10:42

The KA-50 may be very well armored but surviving a first Sidewinder detonating very close with virtually no damage, sorta surviving a second hit, and finally needing a third hit to go down? That seems messed up for a very realistic sim. Don't forget the warhead in the Sidewinder/Chaparral weighs over three times as much as the warhead in the Stinger.

What variant of the MIM-72 was being used by that Chaparral anyway?

Also after this I never want to again hear how the AH-64 should be easily brought down by GPMG fire despite having a tail rotor (like the Mi-24 and Mi-28).
When in doubt blame UGBEAR.

Simms
Sergeant Major

Postby Simms » Wed 12 Mar 2014 11:09

Kovlovsky wrote:I'm actually surprised it survived the first missile hit. It seemed to have exploded very near the Akula.

Darth-Lampshade wrote:The KA-50 may be very well armored but surviving a first Sidewinder detonating very close with virtually no damage

I was told it's a well-known bug affecting strictly 1st missile hits on Ka-50 in DCS. Other aircraft in these situations get damaged normally. Or not. Because it's a highly sophisticated flight sim which loves to get unpredictable from time to time %)
Darth-Lampshade wrote:What variant of the MIM-72 was being used by that Chaparral anyway?

MIM-72G, you can see in on the marker label.

uberbyford
Second-Lieutenant

Postby uberbyford » Wed 12 Mar 2014 13:26

I should really try this. Harks back to my days of IL2 and the joy of finally getting an Me262 to fly for a whole 30 seconds before its engines explode for the 70th time.

Sparika
Warrant Officer

Postby Sparika » Wed 12 Mar 2014 14:45

Good thing is that DCS is free with SU25. Use it to test and learn and then wait for some Steam promotions to get expansions.
"You're not Stalin, and zone Bravo on Hell's Highway is not your motherland." - TheFluff
Spoiler : For her Majesty! :

stray cat
Staff Sergeant

Postby stray cat » Wed 12 Mar 2014 16:20

A few things I would like to reply:

1. It is not as intimidating as it looks.
2. I would not rely too much on youtube videos. Part of the fun is trying it for yourself and only grab the manual or tutorials when you cant figure it out.
3. Dont fear the complexity. First time you load a mission and try a cold start you look around in this cockpit with a 200+ switches, it will be a lot of fun, because every little thing you figure out gives you a sense of achievement.

Darth-Lampshade wrote:The KA-50 may be very well armored but surviving a first Sidewinder detonating very close with virtually no damage, sorta surviving a second hit, and finally needing a third hit to go down? That seems messed up for a very realistic sim. Don't forget the warhead in the Sidewinder/Chaparral weighs over three times as much as the warhead in the Stinger.

Also after this I never want to again hear how the AH-64 should be easily brought down by GPMG fire despite having a tail rotor (like the Mi-24 and Mi-28).

4. The game does not have an abstract % chance to hit like wargame uses. There are different things affecting wether you get hit.

In this video the chapparal AI skill was set above average. The countermeasure effectiveness depends on the pilot. You can program the sequence on how to fire them. In this video I programmed it to 3 flares on each side, 3 fires, with a 3 second delay. And lastly it depends on wether you actually know you are being targeted, and wether you pay attention to your warning system and when you fire your flares, and how far the chapparal is.

Also the video is not the same flight for all shots. It is edited from 2 flights. The last one I was not even aware that a missile was on its way so there was no flare. If you are very aware of a chapparal targeting you, it would be quite easy to have it miss all shots if you timed your CM well.

In contrast, there are other AAA weapons in the game that you never get a warning of and a buk for example has 42km detection range in DCS. And a 700kg warhead, so a near detonation would still zap you heli.

About survivability.
The KA50 is quite resistant to damage, I had my tail clan shot off, my entire right pylon torn and even one rotor disc chipped and you can still limp away and somewhat land on a helipad because the autopilot system can still keep it stable. However that system can get damaged too.
However getting hit in the electronic systems and losing the hud usually means you have to flee because you cant use the ATGM and cannon properly.

I will post more videos soon and Ill get more info on what the chapparel missile is

Kovlovsky
Captain

Postby Kovlovsky » Wed 12 Mar 2014 16:41

Darth-Lampshade wrote:The KA-50 may be very well armored but surviving a first Sidewinder detonating very close with virtually no damage, sorta surviving a second hit, and finally needing a third hit to go down? That seems messed up for a very realistic sim. Don't forget the warhead in the Sidewinder/Chaparral weighs over three times as much as the warhead in the Stinger.

Well, sometimes your are just lucky and the shrapnel doesn't hit vital parts. And about the tail rotor, if you loose it somehow, your helo becomes nigh incontrollable. It's a bit like a tire puncture, you are better to go beside the road and repair it. In the case of an Apache and Mi-28, you would have to make an emergency landing.

stray cat wrote:About survivability.
The KA50 is quite resistant to damage, I had my tail clan shot off, my entire right pylon torn and even one rotor disc chipped and you can still limp away and somewhat land on a helipad because the autopilot system can still keep it stable. However that system can get damaged too.
However getting hit in the electronic systems and losing the hud usually means you have to flee because you cant use the ATGM and cannon properly.

I saw an hilarious video of a Ka-50 in DCS where it's hit by a Strela-10 (the player was on the US side, but with a Black shark.) and it continued to fly for a few meters and then the foward fuselage detached itself from the rest of the helo just after the cabin and it separated in two. That was great.
Courtesy of Graphic

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Wed 12 Mar 2014 17:30

Xeno426 wrote:
Misfit wrote:There is an arcade mode?

Indeed there is.

The avionics of the Ka-50 are rather simple (except perhaps the ABRIS), it's the dynamics of flight that are hard. Finding some good tutorial videos on YouTube reall helps, though.

Well, well thanks a lot, i might give it a try. I just need something in between arcade and full sim, the formers are too simplified and the latter are too time consuming for my liking.
Perlen vor die Säue.

Return to “Off-Topic”