Games I am officially EXCITED about.

varis
Brigadier

Re: Games I am officially EXCITED about.

Postby varis » Fri 22 Sep 2017 23:37

Feels the ship has already sailed for Stellaris. While the game itself is currently on a significant discount, the DLC are not and to date Utopia seems to be the only substantial update, with others adding new playable races and little stuff like that. The game itself turned out to be a slight disappointment - competent yes but a far cry from all the hype. While there are good features to the campaign part and combat is OK-ish, overall it just feels a bit lukewarm and one-sided, with no special something going for it.

In the meanwhile we've got new space games and lots of goodies for what not... so what would make us come back to this? Case in point is the newly steamorized Battlefleet Engineer, a ludicrous sandbox with module level simulation of spaceships, few limitations on ship size, realistic damage modelling, newtonian physics... granted it's very early access and slow developing, but all that is yours for just five bucks.

I also finally started with TW: Warhammer. Basically a revamp of the TW mechanics, but I find many upgrades and polishing compared to the old TW: Shogun 2, which had some additional interesting mechanics and maneuvering in combat and felt cleaner, however time shows in the breadth of the feature set. TW:WH at first feels cheesy and playing Vampire Counts is a bit like this vampire thing is rubbed into your face all the time. Ambient sound seems to overload the player with a constant stream of vague noises - I would have just gone with a more low key ambience with much of silence, maybe a bit of "old church" style music and of course the occasional distant but horrified scream.

The catch is that you get used to it, and even start to enjoy it. The game has a large array of playable factions, each which seem quite different, and many are available out of the box. The smörgäsbård of armies is a point worth focusing on - otherwise combat seems to have little upgrade over old titles beside spells (=skill tree & ability spam?) and yes the nice siege engines of course. They've seemingly went to great lengths to customize everything for your particular faction. The game is rich in graphics and sound. Say when you zoom on a group of Empire soldiers fleeing from your rampaging dire wolves and warghulfs, and hear the lines "Run!", "The gods have abandoned us!" and "Aaaaagh!" it all feels completely appropriate already. Also if you go bonkers over hero ability trees (you seem to gain a level = skill point after pretty much every single battle), then this game is certainly for you.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Mon 25 Sep 2017 22:54

varis wrote:Feels the ship has already sailed for Stellaris. While the game itself is currently on a significant discount, the DLC are not and to date Utopia seems to be the only substantial update, with others adding new playable races and little stuff like that. The game itself turned out to be a slight disappointment - competent yes but a far cry from all the hype. While there are good features to the campaign part and combat is OK-ish, overall it just feels a bit lukewarm and one-sided, with no special something going for it.

In the meanwhile we've got new space games and lots of goodies for what not... so what would make us come back to this? Case in point is the newly steamorized Battlefleet Engineer, a ludicrous sandbox with module level simulation of spaceships, few limitations on ship size, realistic damage modelling, newtonian physics... granted it's very early access and slow developing, but all that is yours for just five bucks.

I also finally started with TW: Warhammer. Basically a revamp of the TW mechanics, but I find many upgrades and polishing compared to the old TW: Shogun 2, which had some additional interesting mechanics and maneuvering in combat and felt cleaner, however time shows in the breadth of the feature set. TW:WH at first feels cheesy and playing Vampire Counts is a bit like this vampire thing is rubbed into your face all the time. Ambient sound seems to overload the player with a constant stream of vague noises - I would have just gone with a more low key ambience with much of silence, maybe a bit of "old church" style music and of course the occasional distant but horrified scream.

The catch is that you get used to it, and even start to enjoy it. The game has a large array of playable factions, each which seem quite different, and many are available out of the box. The smörgäsbård of armies is a point worth focusing on - otherwise combat seems to have little upgrade over old titles beside spells (=skill tree & ability spam?) and yes the nice siege engines of course. They've seemingly went to great lengths to customize everything for your particular faction. The game is rich in graphics and sound. Say when you zoom on a group of Empire soldiers fleeing from your rampaging dire wolves and warghulfs, and hear the lines "Run!", "The gods have abandoned us!" and "Aaaaagh!" it all feels completely appropriate already. Also if you go bonkers over hero ability trees (you seem to gain a level = skill point after pretty much every single battle), then this game is certainly for you.

I don't mind stellaris but it feels unfinished the DLCs are what it should have launched with and finding a precursor home planet unless its cyberex doesn't give you anything particularly interesting no new tech or ships. Play style also stays the same spam corvettes and plasma even the damn AI does it

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Wed 27 Sep 2017 20:51

Finished Divinity: Original Sin 2 today. Tied with Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for my favourite game of all time. All I have to say really, gotta go back to my second playthrough now to fill the hole that finishing the game left.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Wed 27 Sep 2017 23:09

Vulcan 607 wrote:
varis wrote:Feels the ship has already sailed for Stellaris.

I don't mind stellaris but it feels unfinished the DLCs are what it should have launched with and finding a precursor home planet unless its cyberex doesn't give you anything particularly interesting no new tech or ships. Play style also stays the same spam corvettes and plasma even the damn AI does it

The naked corvette issue has been fixed. Plasma got nerfed, though cruiser spam is still fairly legit. So far from what I've seen the build is a lot more fluid than before.

If Paradox makes the next DLC about diplomacy, with including things like Space Pope and Space UN, along with fleshing out other aspects of diplomacy, it'll feel like a truly finished game then. Other than that I wish there was more variety to weapons. I still miss how MOO2 had some pretty insane variety.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 28 Sep 2017 03:59

Razzmann wrote:Finished Divinity: Original Sin 2 today. Tied with Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for my favourite game of all time. All I have to say really, gotta go back to my second playthrough now to fill the hole that finishing the game left.

Yeah, that game is a super time sink, 40 hours in and I'm still stuck on act two...

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Thu 28 Sep 2017 08:45

Fade2Gray wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:

The naked corvette issue has been fixed. Plasma got nerfed, though cruiser spam is still fairly legit. So far from what I've seen the build is a lot more fluid than before.

If Paradox makes the next DLC about diplomacy, with including things like Space Pope and Space UN, along with fleshing out other aspects of diplomacy, it'll feel like a truly finished game then. Other than that I wish there was more variety to weapons. I still miss how MOO2 had some pretty insane variety.

I don't know what I am doing wrong I think I've got a really powerful fleet look at the other empires and I am really weak.
Doesn't help I sent some desert preference bugs to an artic world and I am really worried i might have sent the alpine lizards to a desert world! Also Still annoyed the fallen empire I've been sucking up to just gave me some credits and minerals I wanted warships.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Thu 28 Sep 2017 13:42

Fade2Gray wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:

Ancient Frontier, a turn based game focusing on starship combat was just released on Steam, looks interesting. Did I already mention the Battlestar Galactica game too?

TBH I guess I'm more disappointed about the failure of Star Ruler 2. Had great expectations but yeah, it's like somebody rubbing the old MOO3 wounds again.

Took a quick peek at Galactic Civilizations 3 as well. Game seems like super streamlined, moving around your ships and some empire management is like super quick and looks like they wanted to optimize boring and time consuming tasks away. Certainly there are some interesting approaches in this game, but I didn't have the time to dig deep yet. Combat looks like it again boils down to just getting a max of 3-5 stats and you win. Dialogues feel like you've been suddenly thrown back to the 1990s.

Seeing that Steam has something interesting to buy in your chosen genre like every week, one starts to wonder if the games market is actually a little bit oversupplied, or will be, once the next economic downturn comes in and people cut spending?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 29 Sep 2017 03:13

Total Warhammer 2 is a definite step up from the first one, it's far from perfect but it's much more polished, I hope the devs decide to give the first total Warhammer a bit of a spit shine like they've given this one!

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 29 Sep 2017 06:04

Vulcan 607 wrote:I don't know what I am doing wrong I think I've got a really powerful fleet look at the other empires and I am really weak.
Doesn't help I sent some desert preference bugs to an artic world and I am really worried i might have sent the alpine lizards to a desert world! Also Still annoyed the fallen empire I've been sucking up to just gave me some credits and minerals I wanted warships.

Early game you should blitz on expansion. Snag up 5-8 worlds that have 20+ tiles. Once your borders are set constantly check on the fleet strength of others. Form defensive pacts where you can. 1 or 2 will help keep you solid. As long as someone isn't superior in fleet strength to you, dump into your economy. Don't ever count on FEs being nice, and any gift a xenophile gives you is gravy. Make sure your population is growing as fast as possible, if one world fills up send a couple pops from it to another one that isn't close to being full, though if your population controls are free than pops generally do that automatically for you. Hyper specialize worlds if you can.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Fri 29 Sep 2017 08:41

Fade2Gray wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:I don't know what I am doing wrong I think I've got a really powerful fleet look at the other empires and I am really weak.

Early game you should blitz on expansion. Snag up 5-8 worlds that have 20+ tiles. Once your borders are set constantly check on the fleet strength of others. Form defensive pacts where you can. 1 or 2 will help keep you solid. As long as someone isn't superior in fleet strength to you, dump into your economy. Don't ever count on FEs being nice, and any gift a xenophile gives you is gravy. Make sure your population is growing as fast as possible, if one world fills up send a couple pops from it to another one that isn't close to being full, though if your population controls are free than pops generally do that automatically for you. Hyper specialize worlds if you can.

Thanks this game hasn't gone well got a really powerful ally but they just watched my fleet get curb stomped while their massive fleet was in the same system really pissed off have a huge Gaia world and lots of other planets. Not going to quit going to use hit and run tactics to land forces on enemy worlds. Also seems AI has killed all the leviathans sadly

Return to “Off-Topic”