scale modelling

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Re: scale modelling

Postby Rorschach » Thu 15 May 2014 20:57

edthebeast wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Bookmarked for when I get my Chally 2 done :D

what scale? I'm,going for uniform,size, so,please say 1:72 or 1:76.....

1:35.

It's biiiiiig.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Thu 15 May 2014 21:01

1:35? Do you want to drive around in it or something? :P

On topic, I just bought this. http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories ... hp?kw=T-64

How do I model tank properly?
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Postby Rorschach » Fri 16 May 2014 17:33

Killertomato wrote:1:35? Do you want to drive around in it or something? :P

On topic, I just bought this. http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories ... hp?kw=T-64

How do I model tank properly?

It's very pretty. It's like 40cm long, and comes with model water bottles for the crew, complete with decal labels on them.

2 questions though, for modellers out there:

-Paint, then glue? Glue, then paint?

-How do I weather a tank? So that it doesn't look quite so shiny and plastic. Nothing too serious/expert, please, I just want it to not blind me when I shine a light at it.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Fri 16 May 2014 18:04

I assemble major assemblies (hull minus road wheels, tracks, and stowage) and prime+basecoat, then do the fiddly bits separately.

For weathering, for tracks a very light drybrushing of "tan earth" (so basically wipe most of the paint off the brush, then very lightly apply so it's just a very spotty covering of the color on high points), then a mixture of about 10 drops black, 10 drops tan earth, 80ish drops thinner applied (enamel paints if I used acrylics for the main coat, and after I've put on a coat of dullacote or some oher sealant to keep the thinner from marring the paint job) all over. Once I've applied that mixture, I wipe down the tank with a papertowel/q-tip. I do the application and wiping in segements (like right lower hull, upper hull, right turret etc), and then after wiping, blast the wiped area with canned air (it shouldn't effect the paint, but it keeps random paper/q-tip fibers from drying in the mixture, and makes for nicer look).

It's not like, museum quality, but by wiping it all off the surface, it leaves that sort of grime+dirt impression in the various depressions and panels. It also dulls the color overall to make it look less factory fresh, and if you keep your wiping unidirectional from front to back, the residue on the higher points looks less haphazard, and more like the result of accumulating dirt and grime from being driven around.

I'm sure someone else does it better though.

Random tip:

For lights, try something super shiny like chrome, painted over by transparent grey/"smoke" color. The grey dulls it enough, but the shinyness sort of gives it more pop and a hint of interior lighting I think. Same deal with transparent red on taillights.
Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

T80U = tankbankai
Captain

Postby T80U = tankbankai » Sun 18 May 2014 00:06

3-4 years ago I built and painted a massive model of the Bismarck battleship with my grandfather, No bloody idea on what happened to it though it was probably thrown out or something. :cry:

These models you guys have done look great I'm tempted to make my own. :D
Wargame: Mediterranean Factions/Thread Of The Year
Countess Bathory wrote:Nearly all of humanity's problems could be solved by delicious fried chicken.

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Thu 22 May 2014 03:30

Hey y'all. What color would be appropriate for a base/primer coat on a 1981 model T-64A?
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

katt
Lieutenant General

Postby katt » Thu 22 May 2014 15:30

Humbrol 117?
人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Thu 22 May 2014 20:19

katt wrote:Humbrol 117?

Works for me. Thanks, man.

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Postby Rorschach » Wed 23 Jul 2014 19:34

I know you guys have been waiting on tenterhooks for this, but I've finally finished my Challenger 2. :D

Enjoy! :D

http://imgur.com/a/Agc8j

Yakhont
Colonel

Postby Yakhont » Wed 23 Jul 2014 19:45

Noice

Your human figures need some work though

Return to “Off-Topic”