Islamic State/Coalition Bombing Mega Thread

Guggy
General

Re: Islamic State/Coalition Bombing Mega Thread

Postby Guggy » Wed 25 Nov 2015 09:40

I agree with Bullfrog. But its also worth noting that the plane wasnt just immediately intercepted on take-off, it had a already flown through once which prompted the scramble of the aircraft that shot it down on the second pass.

However, this image seems to argue otherwise: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUkY-l9WcAEMZds.jpg

Suriel
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Suriel » Wed 25 Nov 2015 10:09

I read today that Su24 was in Turkish airspace for 17sek (how long it takes to cross the patch of land extending into Syria's territory). F16 shot missile while both planes were in Turkish airspace. However, missile hit while Su24 was already over Syria.

Any news about pilots?

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Postby Romiros » Wed 25 Nov 2015 10:14

Suriel wrote:I read today that Su24 was in Turkish airspace for 17sek (how long it takes to cross the patch of land extending into Syria's territory). F16 shot missile while both planes were in Turkish airspace. However, missile hit while Su24 was already over Syria.

Any news about pilots?

1 KIA, 1 saved by SAA special forces.

Sarvik
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Sarvik » Wed 25 Nov 2015 10:17

REDDQ wrote:Welp, it is the whole point of their presence there to bomb ISIS :3

Whole point of their presence is to keep Assad at power, ISIS is just one of the many Assad's enemies they are bombing.

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Wed 25 Nov 2015 10:22

Suriel wrote:F16 shot missile while both planes were in Turkish airspace. However, missile hit while Su24 was already over Syria.

That's the real gray area. Can a plane be shot cross border? With ground systems that would still make Turkey the culprit, I'm not sure about air though.

Yakhont
Colonel

Postby Yakhont » Wed 25 Nov 2015 10:23

1 pilot killed and 1 marine killed in a rescue attempt

Allegedly a Russian Mi-8 has been destroyed after crash landing

Sarvik wrote:
REDDQ wrote:Welp, it is the whole point of their presence there to bomb ISIS :3

Whole point of their presence is to keep Assad at power, ISIS is just one of the many Assad's enemies they are bombing.

Not exactly. The point is to keep the Syrian state together; Assad himself is not really a must. The regime must be intact so as to prevent Syria from completely falling apart and spreading more violence.

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Wed 25 Nov 2015 10:34

Yakhont wrote:

They talk about fear mongering on the political left/right... and then there's these youtubers.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Yakhont
Colonel

Postby Yakhont » Wed 25 Nov 2015 11:03

Terrorist have been synonymous with insurgent, freedom fighter etc for centuries. What changes is how you stand with them.

Edit: Been abit quick on the edit/delete button eh Frosty?

delfo
Major-General

Postby delfo » Wed 25 Nov 2015 11:07

Uhm to everyone saying Turkey is still buying large amounts of oil from ISIS I would have to say today that is not true. That route mostly dried up after the ISIS failed siege of Kobane and then the Kurdish capture of Tell Abyad. That cut off the remaining non river crossing road from the refineries in DEZ governate and Turkey. The roads crossing the Euphrates have blown up bridges so that complicates things, as well as the distance.

Now I am not saying oil wasn't bought by Turkey prior to that I am just saying currently it's less of a factor due to logistics.

This map should explain also who buys ISIS gas given the fact that power generation in Syria is gas dependent and bring me back to my point. Gas is a major thing in Syria as well but it gets omitted for reasons unbeknownst to me yet it still flows through the pipelines to Gas Power Plants.
Last edited by delfo on Wed 25 Nov 2015 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby ikalugin » Wed 25 Nov 2015 11:09

S400 is to be sent to Latakia. I think the measures we may take to protect our air activities in Syria are:
- improving radar coverage by using airborne platforms (on the MoD video you could see a "jump", which means that we lacked coverage from the ground based radars for a part of the incident area).
- conducting precise tracking of the potential airborne threats beyound Syrian borders.
- initiating jamming if those objects initiate agressive behaviour against our aircraft (ie radar lock ons).
- destroying any airborne threats violating Syrian airspace.

On the Turkish track, I guess there is no precise source information for the track (ie how it's data was generated, how that track was released to public, how it was independently verified), but that is in the OpSec area of things so it is a fair game.

Atleast so far there was no evacuation of the Russian civilians, so things are not escalating, which is a good thing I guess.
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

Return to “Off-Topic”