Javelin and Kornet ATGM: What if they were added?

AlmightyTallest
Warrant Officer

Re: Javelin and Kornet ATGM: What if they were added?

Postby AlmightyTallest » Wed 17 Sep 2014 02:37

Correct, no modifications. Newer system would take advantage of this by having a better sensor, but it's amazing it's the same missile as the origional with at least a 2.5km range.

My favorite system is Spike though, I think that goes back to the 80's.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Wed 17 Sep 2014 02:42

AlmightyTallest wrote:Correct, no modifications. Newer system would take advantage of this by having a better sensor, but it's amazing it's the same missile as the origional with at least a 2.5km range.

My favorite system is Spike though, I think that goes back to the 80's.

TI really did a good job on that thing back in the day.

Spike does go back to the '80s- a very similar (nearly identical, really) missile from Hughes Aerospace actually lost the AAWS-M competition to Javelin.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

AlmightyTallest
Warrant Officer

Postby AlmightyTallest » Wed 17 Sep 2014 02:46

Yea, your right KillerTomato, forgot about Hughes being in the competition for the AAWS-M.

kvnrthr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby kvnrthr » Wed 17 Sep 2014 10:37

AlmightyTallest wrote:
Top attack, tandem warhead to defeat reactive armor, and 95% hit rate at 2.5km, yea. OP.

They could always give the Javelin crew vodka, so they would have the famous "drunken accuracy" of Konkurs teams :lol:
Hoping for a better next-gen Wargame and new engine in a few years...
One can dream ;_;

AlmightyTallest
Warrant Officer

Postby AlmightyTallest » Wed 17 Sep 2014 21:27

LOL, there is always that to nerf the system. :lol:

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Wed 17 Sep 2014 21:45

How exactly did they figure the 2.5km range then? I always thought for missiles and ATGM's, that was the ballistic range?

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Wed 17 Sep 2014 22:58

I think on Javelin it was determined by the ability of the sensors on the CLU/missile to lock the target. TOW's max range was I believe the length of the guidance wire.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Darth-Lampshade
Captain

Postby Darth-Lampshade » Thu 18 Sep 2014 01:31

Killertomato wrote:Spike does go back to the '80s- a very similar (nearly identical, really) missile from Hughes Aerospace actually lost the AAWS-M competition to Javelin.

I've read this claim before and while the Spike and Hughes AAWS-M entry share the same guidance method and features, how would the Israelis have gotten the design?

Also there is an uncanny resemblance between the Spike-NLOS and MGM-157 EFOGM. Then again that might just be coincidence, I think the NLOS-LS had a similar configuration too.
When in doubt blame UGBEAR.

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Thu 18 Sep 2014 02:41

I've read this claim before and while the Spike and Hughes AAWS-M entry share the same guidance method and features, how would the Israelis have gotten the design?

Also there is an uncanny resemblance between the Spike-NLOS and MGM-157 EFOGM. Then again that might just be coincidence, I think the NLOS-LS had a similar configuration too.

I'm not claiming one came from the other, I'm just saying that they are effectively nearly identical. The very first Spikes (which were NLOS) supposedly came online in the early '80s, which is before Hughes made anything anyway.

I think you see the fiber optic semi-F&F thing pop up over and over again because it's a good idea- not as expensive as a fully-F&F missile like Javelin but still more capable than a run-of-the-mill wire-guided SACLOS weapon.

NLOS-LS, on the other hand, was fully F&F with three-mode guidance- GPS/INS, laser, and IIR.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Thu 18 Sep 2014 04:56

kvnrthr wrote:
AlmightyTallest wrote:
Top attack, tandem warhead to defeat reactive armor, and 95% hit rate at 2.5km, yea. OP.

They could always give the Javelin crew vodka, so they would have the famous "drunken accuracy" of Konkurs teams :lol:

Emplaces in basement of German house.... Finds schnapps.... Accuracy becomes balanced!
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Return to “Off-Topic”