What if there was a Wargame-y FPS?

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

What if there was a Wargame-y FPS?

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Thu 18 Sep 2014 16:40

Hey y'all.. please don't crucify me for this.. but IDK, I've had this idea in my head for a long time and also I wanted to cary some of the discussion to here and gain some insight from you guys as well as inherit your knowledge.. I'm American.. my knowledge is fairly limited to all the sweet toys we have, you Euros know much more about your stuff than I do..

Anyways FPS's they tend to follow each other.. they play the hell out of a theatre and are always on a quest for new ideas.. so tell me, why haven't they made a decent cold war FPS?

Imagine the Wargame concept with Battlefield gameplay

here's what I mean, I posted to Battlefield forums this morning because I finally felt inspired enough to share my ideas after seeing this post last evening

K98-Schütze[GER] wrote:I am the only one who thinks that Wargame is so brilliant, cause it let us play in the Cold War era, with all these nice stuff?
I mean M60 tanks, Mi24, Leopard 1, Dana's, Szhylka (how damn to write it)....
I mean you can play eastern germany, north korea, or UK with chieftain's :) ....

I do not understand the love for modern stuff in games, it has no charme imo :?
I dont like this Arma3 sci-fi fancy toys, also not drones and this things.

My statement now without value and without offense - could it be that younger players prefer modern high-end-tech warfare in games?
Seriously, I am interested how it is.

here's my post from BF Forums..

Spoiler : :
I propose a Cold War FPS, because we all know Devs are scrambling for new ideas.. how come nobody has really made a quality arcade-y Cold War FPS?

introducing "Battlefield : 1989"

Basic idea is nations included are basically those well equipped nations from Wargame series, that's
NATO: USA, France, UK, W. Germany, Sweden
PACT: USSR, Czechoslovakia, Poland, E. Germany
Additional forces:
BLUFOR: South Korea, Japan
REDFOR: North Korea, China

Additional nations are open to suggestion

But basically, similar to how all previous Battlefield games work, nations would be limited to map..

For example

Streets of Berlin: W. Germany v E. Germany
Czech-German border: UK v Czechoslovakia
Island of Gotland: Sweden v Poland
Near Vienna, Austria: USA v USSR
South France: France v USSR
North of Budapest: USA v Czechoslovakia
DMZ: North Korea/China v South Korea/US/Japan

Another suggestion is to Nation-Lock weapons, I am fan of authenticity, a US soldier to be running around with an AKM is a nightmare.. international weapon unlocks should be way late unlocks.. like post level 20

weapons list can be determined at a later time but nation locked weapons are important to me

Ex:
Man Portable AT weapon systems
US: M47 Dragon, M72 LAW, M136 AT4, SMAW
USSR (and nearly all NSWP) 9K115 Metis, RPG-7, RPG-29, RPG-26
following need more examples to balance things out
France: LRAC F1, ERYX
W. Germany: Armbrust, Pzf 44
UK: LAW 80, M72 LAW
SWEDEN: AT4, M2 Carl Gustav

MANPADS
NATO: Redeye, Stinger, Mistral, Blowpipe
USSR & NSWP: Strela 2, Strela 3, Igla

of course examples are very limited, to give flavour it'd be nice to see if there where shoulder fired RBS 70's, RBS 56's, and Milan's,

My final suggestion is "levolution" to represent improved reinforcements arriving throughout the battle, quality of vehicles in game should upgrade throughout progression of match

Ex:
Streets of Berlin: W. Germany v E. Germany
Tanks... W.Germany: Leopard 1A5 -> Leopard 2A1
E. Germany: T-55AM2 -> T-72M
W.German SPAAG: Flakpanzer Gepard -> Flakpanzer Gepard A1 or Marder Roland 2
E. German Helos: Mi-25 -> Mi-35

Near Vienna, Austria: USA v USSR
Tanks... USA: M60A3 -> M1IP -> M1A1
USSR: T-64BV -> T-72B -> T-80BV
Helos... USA: AH-1J -> AH-1W -> AH-64A
USSR: Mi-24V -> Mi-24VP -> Mi-28A

I'll add more to it later, I'm tired and lazy

for now what do you think?

LINK: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/fo ... 8236880/1/

I was so inspired I even wrote a letter and and mailed it the DICE Los Angeles office this morning (of course it was way more professional than my posts)
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: What if there was a Wargame-y FPS?

Postby Graphic » Thu 18 Sep 2014 17:30

Have you played the original Operation Flashpoint? (now called ArmA: Cold War Assault due to licensing technicalities)

If that's too ugly for you, there are mods for ArmA 1, 2 and I think 3 that completely remake the campaign in those games, called Cold War Rearmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33KWmo1p9f8
k

Excroat3
Captain

Postby Excroat3 » Thu 18 Sep 2014 17:31

Yeah, it would be cool, but AFIAK, battlefield wouldn't support units for that many countries, maybe just USSR v. USA and Eastern Bloc v. NATO (as unrealistic as it seems). This setup would be likely because it reduces the units DICE would have to model and it still (technically) involves more countries. And they seem (with the final stand DLC) to be moving towards a future war setting. I like your idea though. Personally, I just want BFBC3.

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Thu 18 Sep 2014 17:45

Graphic wrote:Have you played the original Operation Flashpoint? (now called ArmA: Cold War Assault due to licensing technicalities)

If that's too ugly for you, there are mods for ArmA 1, 2 and I think 3 that completely remake the campaign in those games, called Cold War Rearmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33KWmo1p9f8

Oh trust me, I've played Op Flashpoint, and play Cold War Rearmed, LoL, it's good fun
ArmA is just too technical.. I want competitive, arcadey multi-player..

Excroat3 wrote:Yeah, it would be cool, but AFIAK, battlefield wouldn't support units for that many countries, maybe just USSR v. USA and Eastern Bloc v. NATO (as unrealistic as it seems). This setup would be likely because it reduces the units DICE would have to model and it still (technically) involves more countries. And they seem (with the final stand DLC) to be moving towards a future war setting. I like your idea though. Personally, I just want BFBC3.

Well Battlefront 3 (if they're staying true to what LucasArts did so far with Battlefront 2) would support at least 4 factions and they have to model a hell of alot more units than they're used to.. what's to stop them from tackling something like this?

and I think they're only embracing the future setting because there's been a call for 2143 for so long and they're moving on to Battlefront 3 for a 2015 release..

EDIT: I want BC3 as well.. I want the fun back
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 18 Sep 2014 18:06

I'm not sure I DICE would be willing to model that many things, but judging from the absurd number of firearms they've thrown around, they certainly have the manpower and skill to do it.

Excroat3 wrote:Personally, I just want BFBC3.
"Who goes to war in cowboy hats?" :D

Razorsson
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Razorsson » Thu 18 Sep 2014 18:19

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:I'm not sure I DICE would be willing to model that many things, but judging from the absurd number of firearms they've thrown around, they certainly have the manpower and skill to do it.

Excroat3 wrote:Personally, I just want BFBC3.
"Who goes to war in cowboy hats?" :D

"Uh... Cowboys?"

Excroat3
Captain

Postby Excroat3 » Thu 18 Sep 2014 20:18

They certainly have the manpower, but they have a busy next few years... With patches and DLC for BF4, Hardline, and Battlefront, their calander seems full

EDIT: I wouldn't bet on them starting a new series, as BFBC2 left on a cliffhanger (ish) and the games previously mentioned

SKLKNKR
Brigadier

Postby SKLKNKR » Thu 18 Sep 2014 20:31

@Stalker: From what I gather BF3 will only have the Empire and Rebels, no Clone Wars.

@Excroat: Hardline isn't DICE and DLC's for BF4 are about over (which aren't true DICE either). True DICE is working on Battlefront (3) and Mirrors Edge 2.
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks to F-22 for the avatar and Iris for the signature

APSinc
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby APSinc » Thu 18 Sep 2014 22:44

I know nothing of Dice...

I've been trying out Heroes and Generals lately (WWII type FPS; Free to play, a little Pay-to-win, but I'm cheap)

It's got a lot of elements that I think would be good in a Wargame-y FPS.

Guns don't damage tanks. Large maps with specific goals/conquest sectors. No multinational weapon swapping (initially, anyways).

I think a very realistic damage model (2-3 shots for most weapons, with crits in vital parts, like legs) combined with the BF squad elements would make squad gameplay more viable (stick close to your teammates for support), instead of the frantic running around that is most FPS games.

Realistic tank armor is a must, as is destroyable environments (not in HnG, but obviously in BF2-4). I think maybe a very DayZ approach to individual damage (minus the permanent death bit) would be beneficial to infantry combat, by making it more tactical instead of the pixel hunting/twitch games that BF is (which is why when I play it--only at friend's houses, since I don't own it--I'm particularly awful).

Maybe a little bit of the deck-like Meta in Wargame, where your loadout costs activation points, and also what you bring slows you down, so you have to chose how well protected you want to be (are these things in other games like Arma already?). Maybe have it so that you have to capture sectors before you can spawn in tanks, SPAAGs, Aircraft, etc. rather than having them just appear at random? So players have to choose whether or not they really are going to use that tank rather than a new one appearing every 5 minutes.

Just some not-so-well-fleshed-out thoughts from an FPS/video game noob.

Flieger
Lieutenant General

Postby Flieger » Fri 19 Sep 2014 01:45

StalkerDellaNote wrote:Streets of Berlin: W. Germany v E. Germany

I would love to have a Cold War FPS set in Berlin. 8-)

Just imagine the wealth of storylines: you could be a cop on everyday duty when the invasion force strikes, and trying to survive the mayham; or you could be US SF fighting a guerilla war from the subways (which are gigantic; people underestimate the size of Berlin as it has relatively few inhabitants); or you could be a Soviet tanker smashing through the Wall. So many great options!

The W-German participation would be minor though, mostly Police and BGS. Technically both Germanies were forbitten to have military in Berlin, and while E-Germany subverted this with some dirty tricks, W-Germany did not.

Return to “Off-Topic”