XinJiang: Current Issues

KattiValk
General

XinJiang: Current Issues

Postby KattiValk » Tue 30 Sep 2014 07:54

This August I went on a trip to China (the place I was born) to visit family in XinJiang, which is one of the areas of unrest in China. I've been meaning to make this thread but only now got around to it.

Roughly ten feet outside my grandmother's front door. Cheery isn't it?

Anyway, so XinJiang is host to lots of neat views, but is heavily marred by the absurd amount of dust. The air is constantly filled with perpetually swirling clouds of it and does a number on your nose after extended periods of time wandering around the city with your cousin (yes, some of my family does live in the city). Because of that, the city and everything about it is really dusty. Everything is in a varyingly depressing shade of brown (what isn't brightened by lights, of which there's quite a lot in Korla) and even the building interiors are often caked with an invisible layer of it you only notice after having stepped in it (people like keeping their windows open...).

Big farmer's market, we bought a few chickens from these guys.

Everyone has this absurd fascination with eating. The nicest place of any building almost guaranteed from what I can tell, will be the dining room. This hotel actually had it's power die several dozen times while we were in it (this was unique, as I didn't experience power issues in any other places I went to).

Now, I know none of you are really all that interested in images of sprawling sunflower fields, totally dried up riverbeds (really damn big ones too, goes to show how humans drain in a desert environment), or even a bunch of people picking tomatoes. So let's get down to the more interesting things.

These guys are reservists gathering for something or the other. We spotted them at the roadside.

These things are at 8/10 of all public buildings we went in. Always by the front desk and neatly stacked. That or there will be a bunch of guys with QBZ-95s ushering you through a metal detector.

Bunch of guards outside the train station at the regional capitol.

APC just sitting outside a shopping mall.

Soldiers are stationed under these things all over the city. The funny thing is they have adverts on them.

More shade campers.

I saw three of these guys. One was literally taxing on the runway before we took off. It drove past us, though I was unable to catch a shot due to a bad shot angle which would have gotten more window than plane.

Besides the pictures I managed to snag, there was one or two Humvees (the second was an LAC of some sort, though I didn't get a close look), some riot vans (bars on windows, loudspeakers, smoke launchers, etc.), and other things.

It was definitely a neat experience, though I will say, being constantly surrounded by bored guys with assault rifles is not something I'm very used too. :D

Now, with my story out of the way, I have a question for everyone here. What are your opinions on the ongoing tensions in XinJiang (and other autonomous regions)?
Last edited by KattiValk on Wed 10 Dec 2014 09:25, edited 4 times in total.

trotskygrad
General

Re: XianJiang: Current Issues

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 30 Sep 2014 08:37

as you sort of implied in your post, china has always been kind of a hole (heavily armed police, crumbling buildings, etc)

the whole country has kind of a facade feel that I feel is summed up in 1 image

it's fancy looking, and had a nice painted facade, but it's only really 1 face and there's no "substance" in it.

also massive trash piles represent

(Wuxi, 2012)
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Tue 30 Sep 2014 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

RedDevilCG
Colonel

Postby RedDevilCG » Tue 30 Sep 2014 08:45

Fascinating pictures. Were you born in Xianjiang itself? I often hear of persecution of the Uyghur population in China, and this is where this is occurring, correct?

I really don't understand the politics, to be honest, but I'm willing to learn more.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 30 Sep 2014 08:56

trotskygrad wrote:as you sort of implied in your post, china has always been kind of a hole (heavily armed police, crumbling buildings, etc)
While I wouldn't quite say hole is the best word, the place definitely is more often than not quite dirty and overcrowded. Traffic was something else, and the one tourist attraction we visited (Tiananmen Square) was so unbielevably crowded they literally had four metal detectors and scanner stations on the side we were entering from.

RedDevilCG wrote:Fascinating pictures. Were you born in Xianjiang itself? I often hear of persecution of the Uyghur population in China, and this is where this is occurring, correct?

I really don't understand the politics, to be honest, but I'm willing to learn more.
Yep, as a matter of fact, I got the (rather uncomfortable) opportunity to see the building I was conceived in, as well as the one I was born in. :?

You can always just Google it and read up. There's some interesting articles out there.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Tue 30 Sep 2014 09:26

so whats with the unrest there? I have to admit, really not keeping up with the news
Of Salt

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Tue 30 Sep 2014 13:41

Everything is in a varyingly depressing shade of brown

HA. Call of Duty IS realistic.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

D-M

Postby D-M » Tue 30 Sep 2014 13:48

another505 wrote:so whats with the unrest there? I have to admit, really not keeping up with the news

Uygur separatists want to form their own state and resort to violence (1st of march massacre) but it will probably never happen with the PRC in command, the region is dirt poor but too strategically important IIRC :

- 50% of the cottage production
- it produce most (around 80%) of the fossil fuel
- active nuclear test facilities
- gateway to the central asian market

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Tue 30 Sep 2014 15:03

Well, that was depressing. :|
The worst part is that this is supposedly the 'best' part of the region. I assume the pictures are all from the same city?

But hey, at least it wasn't Chongqing. :D

One a 'positive' note, I'm a little surprised to see latin letters, in what appears to be English, on the buildings in the central part of the city.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

Yakhont
Colonel

Postby Yakhont » Tue 30 Sep 2014 15:38

Abit weird that such an arid region has significant cotton production.

Why don't they relocate to the south?

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Tue 30 Sep 2014 16:18

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
trotskygrad wrote:as you sort of implied in your post, china has always been kind of a hole (heavily armed police, crumbling buildings, etc)
While I wouldn't quite say hole is the best word, the place definitely is more often than not quite dirty and overcrowded.

and bad air all day every day (my mucus would come out grey after a day of walking around), no cheese that's worth eating (really you don't miss it until you don't have it), lower quality food than in the '70s (according to my parents), crumbling modern looking apartment buildings (looks nice on the outside, slum like on the inside)

Maybe we've just been to different parts, but my impression of china (mostly the big cities) is nothing but terrible.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Return to “Off-Topic”