Wargame Red Dragon - is the series now over?

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Wargame Red Dragon - is the series now over?

Postby Destraex » Wed 15 Oct 2014 04:58

Just curious as I am not interested in the new RPG science fiction game Eugen are bringing out.
Ideally I would like to see wargame ww2 or wargame set in 2014.

Have their been any rumours that Eugen will continue the Wargame series.
Especially after the website blurb says "what comes after wargame" when they announced the new series.

Let me know if you would prefer me search for this news. But I am assuming it is buried deep if it exists at all.

fatfluffycat
Major

Re: Wargame Red Dragon - is the series now over?

Postby fatfluffycat » Wed 15 Oct 2014 05:44

Maybe or maybe not really, they haven't really said anything, if there is a WG4, it'll be a while.
How is possible? / Thread of the Year 2015

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Postby Destraex » Wed 15 Oct 2014 05:50

Thanks.
I hope we can move all maps from previous wargame games into red dragon.
To keep things alive.

Historically they budget for 3 DLC packs and that is it. In this case I am hoping for a 2000's expansion pack.

Regnar
Lieutenant

Postby Regnar » Wed 15 Oct 2014 06:18

Another glorified expansion pack is exactly what we don't need. How about adding features people actually want such as changeable aircraft loadouts, more nuanced combat and fixing some of the engine limitations that keep perfectly good units and tactics from existing in the game? This game is in dire need of closer attention to the content already in it, from factions being handicapped for stupid reasons to units not having their real life capabilities represented.

I have precisely zero interest in another 200 half assed units in a half assed alternate history with a few half assed maps thrown in, especially if it's going to cost the same as a full game.

The farther this game series deviates from its 1980s roots, the more retarded it's going to get.

Edit: But most importantly, I'd like it if FLX had a more direct role in community interaction.

themediocrity
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby themediocrity » Wed 15 Oct 2014 06:41

I think it'll be a while if ever. A long break could be nice though if they do decide to make another one (or something similar with a new title), the Iriszoom engine could still use some big improvements (more dynamic infantry combat, improved weapon simulations, three-dimensional air combat etc). All things that would maybe be possible some day

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Wed 15 Oct 2014 06:42

Regnar hits the head of the nail, but somehow I have the feeling that Wargame is going to be either on a long break, or over and done with. The 2nd Korean War campaign really makes it sound like that there isn't any future room for this franchise, for now.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Wed 15 Oct 2014 08:29

Fade2Gray wrote:Regnar hits the head of the nail, but somehow I have the feeling that Wargame is going to be either on a long break, or over and done with. The 2nd Korean War campaign really makes it sound like that there isn't any future room for this franchise, for now.

I just hope we are left with mod tools and steam workshop integration. Would be nice, but highly unlikely.

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Wed 15 Oct 2014 08:48

I preordered every wargames series game. Which isn't an accomplishment, or entitlement thing, as much as framing that when I say I'm going to "wait and see" on the next one, it's a pretty major deviation.

There's a lot that went wrong with RD. The Naval thing is by most accounts a disaster, and something that at the least distracts from a game that's mostly tiny little tanks on a map slugging it out. By going into ultra prototype land you've had both some really WTF inclusions (OH-1 Ninja, prevalence of late model Russian/European fixed wing fighters, BTR-T, etc etc), and some equally WTF exclusions. We've got thousands of models, some excellent, some mind bendingly terrible (M60 ERA isn't fit to reskin, it's just that bad). Some strategic assets are totally cool, but others MUST BE EXCLUDED OR THE WORLD WILL END.

And worse there's a whole host of game issues that we do not really get any sort of meaningful redress for. There MG3 is not the ultimate machine gun IRL. There's still way too many "special" infantry teams while what should be bread and butter infantry units are the rarity. Ships can disappear from visual range acquisition. Countries that should be the focus of a Pacific rim game have giant holes in their inventories. The campaign...ugh.

If there's a WG:4 I'll likely sit the first few weeks out. I'm pretty unsold on AoA or whatever. Wargames RD is still fun, and I still enjoy it sometimes, but it's just not something that I would in retrospect buy again at full price, or buy again without seeing if it was worth a damn first.
Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Sunshine
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sunshine » Wed 15 Oct 2014 09:08

If Wargame is finished for good, I feel it is partly "our" fault as well... for a good bit.
Sponsored by italic & German superiority.

Dread
Sergeant Major

Postby Dread » Wed 15 Oct 2014 09:19

I hope it's not, I'm a newcomer to the series with Red Dragon being my first. I do have a lot of issues with the game currently, naval just needs to be scrapped in my opinion, the effort making all those models took could have been used in better places. I'm not sold on AoA, probably not going to end up getting it because while Red Dragon is a good game, it still has lots of issues.

Most of you probably know by now that one of the main reasons I bought the game was because North Korea was in it and as a headline faction to boot. My inner military nerd was overjoyed at that and I bought into the Beta as soon as it went up on Steam, only to be pretty badly disappointed by how a number of things were handled. I could go on forever about whats wrong with NK and why they deserve a DLC, but that isn't all that's wrong with the game.

There is a lot of WTF things that have been added, the Patriot being the most notable. It's simply out of the games scale and is detrimental to it. I could understand wanting to give the US a buff in air defense but breaking the scale of the game in the process isn't a good idea. If there is a WG4 Eugen just needs to wipe the slate clean, remove naval, add things the community wants, upgrade the engine etc.

TL;DR:
Red Dragon is good but had lots of flops, in it's current state it still needs an NK/Red Dragons DLC and a map DLC before it's even remotely ready to be left. The Patriot should just be removed, don't break the scale further with S-300's or any other strategic assets. Eugen should also take the community up on it's offers, we've offered to fund things we want through Kickstarter and I know at least I would pitch money in.
List of DPRK units I want
Resident KPA nerd.

Return to “Off-Topic”