What should a Marshal do?

Flieger
Lieutenant General

What should a Marshal do?

Postby Flieger » Fri 24 Oct 2014 01:58

Hello community!

I have a simple question: what do YOU think a Marshal should do?

The general idea is that Marshals support EUG in various ways (consulting, testing, communication with the community). In reality Marshals have different ways how to fulfil their job. I for one was enlisted for my historical knowledge and my link to the German community. Unsurprisingly I focus on supporting EUG with that knowledge, and I try to keep the community informed by answering questions and giving info or hints. However I have not as much input to offer when it comes to balance, user interface etc. Others have different focusses.

I do not think one is better than the other, I think we need all kinds of Marshals. But still the question remains: what do you need as a community? What do you want us Marshals to do?

I hope that the feedback given in this threads helps us Marshals to improve our links with the community and thus improve our work.

Mikeboy
General

Re: What should a Marshal do?

Postby Mikeboy » Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:00

Of course repost everything I ever say as I am swimming in a sea of wisdom.

More seriously, what they're doing now is fine. More beta testing is really the only recommendation I'd make.
Last edited by Mikeboy on Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:01

Provide free beer?

In all seriousness, I figured Marshals were the ones to grab EUGEN by the ear and whisper sweet nothings about what needs to happen for balance issues. Also that Marshals were generally literal walking dictionaries or subject matter experts for their field, ie you Flieger knowing East Germany.

That's about all I really ever expected you guys to do in all honesty, just bug them hardcore about what needs to happen for balance. Please bug them harder I guess?
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:13

Give us answer of what eugen is doing?
Of Salt

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:30

Closed beta testing stuff, finding new and exciting hidden stats to shock the forums with, acting as historical advisers and being liaisons between us dirty plebeians and our mighty benefactors. In other words I think the marshals, at least the ones that do one or more of the above things, are doing a fine job.

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Fri 24 Oct 2014 02:32

RULES

• No bashing of ANY Marshal...
  • No naming ANY Marshal...
  • No derailing, moaning, whining, attacks...
  • Vasily is a no-go topic in any form...

All above will be deleted without mercy...Stick to the premise of the OP...

Enjoy

Regnar
Lieutenant

Postby Regnar » Fri 24 Oct 2014 03:12

In my view, there should be two types of marshals: gameplay marshals and expert marshals.

Gameplay marshals should be people with extensive RTS experience whose purpose would be to advise Eugen on how the game should be balanced so that it is deep and enjoyable to play. This, by far, should be the most important group of marshals.

Expert marshals should be people with in-depth knowledge of a particular country's military or a certain type of equipment. Their purpose would be to advise Eugen on how to best make the game as authentic as possible.

These two types of marshals should not be mixed together. While the input of experts is invaluable, some of them are actually pretty bad at the game itself and should not be listened to when it comes to gameplay suggestions. I don't wish to insult anybody by saying that, I'm just stating a fact. Gameplay should always trump authenticity, every time, without exception.

In a more general sense, the overall purpose of marshals should be to serve as the liaison between Eugen and the community, picking up suggestions and recommending them to developers.

I think that the role of people such as MadMat (I can name him, right) in interacting with the community should be reduced somewhat, as I believe that it will be much easier for everybody if Eugen employees don't have to sift through the cesspit that is the public forum, and are instead presented with well-reasoned arguments from the marshals themselves. Eugen employees should function as more of an official "voice from the heavens" instead of interacting with the community as directly as they are now.

I think the role of marshals has been restricted far too much in recent times.

Graphic

Postby Graphic » Fri 24 Oct 2014 04:01

My goal was to make the US as OP as possible. I resigned because FLX wouldn't change the ATACMS into a standard M270 with chemical warheads.

kidding
k

SKLKNKR
Brigadier

Postby SKLKNKR » Fri 24 Oct 2014 04:06

Regnar wrote:In my view, there should be two types of marshals: gameplay marshals and expert marshals.

I generally agree with you but how do you know when to side with what marshal? What if something is realistically OP from an ability standpoint (Longbow)? Are you going to give the gameplay marshals the "control" to alter a units abilities or just cost and stats?

I feel marshals are doing about as much as they can, and do it correctly in a bunch of cases, but they just get ignored. [Air marshal]'s loadout thread hasn't been updated in ages (out here in the pleb forums at least). He has been working hard to both reduce redundancy and provide realism.
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks to F-22 for the avatar and Iris for the signature

another505

Postby another505 » Fri 24 Oct 2014 04:13

I feel like is mostly Eugen is restricting their role
whatever they do, eugen seems to go their own road
Of Salt

Return to “Off-Topic”