Work Stories

F-22
Lieutenant

Work Stories

Postby F-22 » Sat 1 Nov 2014 09:39

Lets hear em gents, don't care if you're a busboy or a CEO, I want to hear your negative and positive work stories.

The ones that make you lose your faith in humanity completely or regain it.

My story is simply a reoccurring one: We close at 10, and 1 night out of the week there's always "that guy"

"that guy" is the person who comes in 10-5 minutes before a restaurant closes, then proceeds to have a sit down meal so the workers cannot put up the seats or do other essential closing matters.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Work Stories

Postby another505 » Sat 1 Nov 2014 10:00

I worked as a waiter in a middle-high class restaurant in the business sector of macau for this summer
got to say, it really made me a bit sexist

i could say there are at least 10 incidents of women trying to make a scene for something arbitrary , like their pasta took 17minute to make when the average is 15min
Or being a bitch that i poured the water a bit off and spill a bit on the ground because the mouth of pot is damaged
or can't handle that the person next to them had their food faster by a bit even though they ordered earlier
or because we didn't act like saints when they were paying the bill when we are busy serving like 20 ppl and there are 2 of us and start a huge argument

but completely 0 for man, in fact, they try to tell their girlfriend/wife to quiet down or say sorry to us

perhaps is just the women in macau, but seriously, seriously. I almost felt like strangling them to the ground for a few times and shove a knife into her throat afterwards, or between...
Of Salt

Iris
Brigadier

Postby Iris » Sat 1 Nov 2014 10:51

I had a customer with a cigar in his mouth tell me that my parents must have really hated me when they named me, and then he subsequently called me a "bitch", and I had one girl shove me when we didn't have an item she wanted. I work for retail, and while I have all sorts of fun stories, I find those two the shortest to sum up what I feel like typing right now. :lol:

PS. My first name is "Phoenix". I guess it's relevant for the first short story to make even less sense.

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Sat 1 Nov 2014 12:18

I had a boss a while back as a automobile mechanic who would lock me in his car while he drove around preaching Nazi propaganda to me teaching me the '14 words'. Once while changing a transmission he would sing a old style song about killing "Spics, Jews and Monkeys"

I would mention things that happen to bring, like when the passenger plane got shot down over Ukraine, and it would turn into a Jew hating dick waving BS with in record breaking time

It was prob the most frustrating obnoxious boss I ever had, listing to that rhetoric every topic we talked about, rather it was lunch or changing spark plugs. I remember seeing a video of ISIS recruiting kids, it was similar techniques to that.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Sat 1 Nov 2014 12:52

F-22 wrote:Lets hear em gents, don't care if you're a busboy or a CEO, I want to hear your negative and positive work stories.

The ones that make you lose your faith in humanity completely or regain it.

My story is simply a reoccurring one: We close at 10, and 1 night out of the week there's always "that guy"

"that guy" is the person who comes in 10-5 minutes before a restaurant closes, then proceeds to have a sit down meal so the workers cannot put up the seats or do other essential closing matters.

man, i was dating a girl who wanted to go somewhere like 20 minutes before they closed, and eat there... i told her basically what you said and her response was "who cares?"

it boggles my mind that people are so rude

DeuZerre
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Sat 1 Nov 2014 13:03

A guy about 1m90 high, broad shoulders and quite fat, moving boxes every day had a change of sex while I was working at a hospital. It's funny to one day go to work and, going out of the underground, think "seriously, being that fat and wearing a skirt" while being behind a woman and realising it's your colleague.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Sat 1 Nov 2014 14:29

A thread for me, woop.

Worked at flamingo land, for those whom dont know, flamingo land is a theme park with lots of rides and lots of animals, some of these would mix for "entertainment" of those who come....

For starters, theres the ride that goes around the monkeys and several other animals, where you get to see them from above and its a pretty good view, you are 30ft off the ground if not more at some bits, what do you not do? Thats right, you dont stand up, nobody understands that at all, so you spend the whole god damn day shouting "sit down" at people you already told to stay sat down, they see animals, what do they do? Throw food and rubbish at them, so you get it in the neck from the people who work with said animals for somebody 100ft away from you that you cant see because their behind a tree throwing crap to the monkeys.

Then theres the helicopter ride, its a nice lil ride, sends kids up in a lil helicopter 30ftish in the air i dont remember how high but its god damn high and alot of kids love it alot of kids dont (obviously those who fear heights dont like), you get kids who love the ride be nice etc, then you get the idiots who pick their kids up and put them over the rail while the ride is in motion so they can "get on it", oh did i forget to mention the helicopters spin while in motion at a significant speed (enough to break bone if they hit you as each 1 is made out of a mix of plastic and steel) and they dont understand why you ban them from going on said ride and go "complain" even after you explicitly tell them not only is there a god damn line but what they did could end you(the ride operator) in prison.

Now we move on to the wagon wheel, basically a nice big fairis wheel with wagons for the little carts going round and round, you would think it a nice ride to operate all day, nope.png. If you do not manage to get the weighting precise around the wheel, it makes the loudest most god awful noise i have ever heard and i have been next to jet engines and old steam engines that broke, the sound of 1000 upset babies putting the tails of 1000 upset cats wouldnt even compare to this thing. And while you are trying to sort it out and you have the weight sorted, then you attempt to set the ride "in motion" to try and keep your head from feeling like it wants to explode i get "that guy" who demands to go on the ride because theres empty seats, they harass me and insult me because i wont let them or their family on the ride dispite it already going round twice out of the 3-4 times you usually send it round before removing people (it isnt that long to wait) and then when i let them on, they want to go on seperate wagons all next to each other, i notice i have a line, say no, they say you are being a dick because of before, i explain other people want to ride it also and that it must be weight balanced, they dont care, so i see they have little kids and say "imma screw your day mate" in your head, let them on, the guy behind says "do you get a**holes like that alot?" i answer "yes, would you mind waiting a minute, i want to try and get a little fun" with a grin, he looks at you odd but says okay interested in what will happen. The ride goes, the most horrific noise ever goes off, the kids scream they want off and terrified, the adults also dont like it shouting "is it broken?" at me, the noise of it can be heard on the other side of the park pretty much, i get them off, i look him in the eye with him all angry and upset and about to spite venom at me and tell him "the good man here saw you abuse me earlier dispite me warning you that doing this on the ride would reduce your enjoyment and upset the young children, if you wish to complain they will tell you that you ignored my advice and close the door on you", he was red in the face and stormed off, with the 2 little brats that followed daddys example of insulting me earlier shrieking they wanna go home. The other guy looked at me and said simply "i understand why you wanted me to wait" and nodded, with a smile :lol:

I got plenty more if people want them, about bosses, ride saftey or customers.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Sun 2 Nov 2014 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

nWODT_Niack
Captain

Postby nWODT_Niack » Sat 1 Nov 2014 15:24

Man, that flamingo thing sounds like an extremely unsafe place of work.
Croche et Tient

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Sat 1 Nov 2014 15:34

Flamingo Land! That and the National Railway Museum are my childhood.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Sat 1 Nov 2014 15:37

nWODT_Niack wrote:Man, that flamingo thing sounds like an extremely unsafe place of work.

It was generally "safe" its just that things would break down so much it wasnt even funny, some rides would break down every other time they went round and (when i worked there) they refused to buy new parts for the rides to the point i was told so many engineers resigned we couldnt open rides till 30-40min after we were supposed to do so(they resigned because they didnt want to be held accountable, this was als oa year of record profits...).

At least in the kids area that was the case from my exp, and if kids were on the ride i operated they wold be safe ( i was very careful to make sure kids were safe).

that was really the best bit of working there the kids, they were 99% of the time good as gold followed orders and very polite (many would even give you sweets and want to hug you for letting them go on rides) which made your day usually even if it was going horrible just to see these kids happy.

Parents were what made the area unsafe the most in my view, they would ignore the ride operators, ignore the wooden fencing around areas with "do not cross" signs and so on, many were even drunk because it was seen as a "fine idea" to sell alcohol on site.

Also you would always get "that guy" who brings a horde of screaming kids with them to go on the ride 1 minute before the park is closing and demand you reopen the ride according to their watch (even if their watch is 5min slow) and would attempt to force you to do it, that wasnt pleasent at all.... But it was always great to see dads who go "can the kids get 1 last go?" and shake their heads mouthing "no we need to go" :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”