Philosophy & Existentialism

SKLKNKR
Brigadier

Re: Philosophy & Existentialism

Postby SKLKNKR » Tue 4 Nov 2014 16:15

The W:AB Noob wrote:Now, society. Especially now, we live in quite an extra-ordinary time. People are suddenly getting what they want, but yet, not what they want. I also dislike some things in our society (in the US) including the education system, the criminal justice system, the concept of capitalism, the cruelties of the media and the internet, and a lot of things in pop culture. But these are our best attempts since this is an imperfect world. Wouldn't you rather strive to live better somewhere perfect than imperfect?

Society =/= culture, or at least how I view it. Society has its own norms and ways of being but it can punish you if you do not follow them, while I can actively deny common culture and no one will fine me or throw me in jail. I don't consider popular culture as an aspect of society. It is created by society but you won't be legally hurt in any way if you choose not to follow it, some will even respect you for it.
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks to F-22 for the avatar and Iris for the signature

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Tue 4 Nov 2014 16:26

What do you wish was different about our world?

I want to be able to take a nap whenever I want to.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Tue 4 Nov 2014 16:43

Bryan wrote:@Abustou
I will ignore those rather offensive remarks for the sake of the thread which I rather enjoy.

Regardless, calling for blood sacrifice and genocide amongst others things to build a "stronger" culture is contradictory to his "God loves everyone" image that Christians AND the New Testament so widely claim. Comparing it to other equally henious Gods of the era and essentially saying, "look, he is not that bad...." does not convince me to like him anymore.

Consider the israel tribes leaving egypt after many generations of slavery, has no where to stay, and their original place is taken by a bunch of worse than degenerates., yes there would be frictions among human, and there would be war. Why genocide? So they wont procreate with them, and worship other gods, Which they keep doing it still

Is not a contradictory of "God loves everyone", there is judgement. The judgement of God often seem cruel and unfair in human eyes, but God knows everything in the future and past, and those that are killed are cared in the afterlife perhaps. (I personally dont believe the idea of Hell from the Catholics, i believe in universal salvation)

That might seem, "kill everyone and let God take care the rest"
but not at all, there goes to the question of faith, going to Soren Kierkegaard which is a good read

also blood sacrifice?? There is animal sacrifice
Of Salt

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 4 Nov 2014 16:58

Pleeaasssee, no religion for now. (Though I have heard from Christians that God does not love everyone equally - Romans 9:13.)
As I said before, I will only try to convince people of my religious beliefs only if they seek to learn. Otherwise, it is useless.

How about a different question - does anything have a universal definition? Is there anything with the undeniable characteristic of being 'good' or 'bad'?
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Countess Bathory
Colonel

Postby Countess Bathory » Tue 4 Nov 2014 17:01

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... 02%3A23-25

Still the best Bible verse ever and truly indicative of God's understanding.

Anyway, I hate to sound like a fedora tipper but I'm not a big fan of religion either, particularly the three Abrahamic religions.
Accept Roki Vulovic as your Lord and Saviour today and beware of the false prophet, Jesus Christ

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 4 Nov 2014 17:14

There is no true answer as to what is good. Good, like with most things in life can be subjective.
More 8-Bit Philosophy for you on the matter.

The three Abrahamic religions are actually very nice. For example, Islam is supposed to respect Christians and Jews as they technically worship the same God in the majority's opinion. It's the extremists that hurt the group image, Westboro Baptist, Jihadists, etc.

Ripa' Moramee
Master Sergeant

Postby Ripa' Moramee » Tue 4 Nov 2014 17:18

The W:AB Noob wrote:How about a different question - does anything have a universal definition? Is there anything with the undeniable characteristic of being 'good' or 'bad'?

I think not since good or bad Is a very subjective term and is mainly determined by the person defining. For example, Hitler was bad because he killed lots og people and was insane. On the other hand, he was good in that he had successfully reformed German economy after the Great depression and was considered by most German's to be upholding the reich.
I live for the flame war

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Tue 4 Nov 2014 17:21

Countess Bathory wrote:https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Kings%202%3A23-25

Still the best Bible verse ever and truly indicative of God's understanding.

Anyway, I hate to sound like a fedora tipper but I'm not a big fan of religion either, particularly the three Abrahamic religions.

Oh, I can think of worse. Judges 11:29-39

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:There is no true answer as to what is good. Good, like with most things in life can be subjective.
More 8-Bit Philosophy for you on the matter.

Yes, you just stated what my question is about. "Good, like with most things in life can be subjective." But what is not subjective?
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Ripa' Moramee
Master Sergeant

Postby Ripa' Moramee » Tue 4 Nov 2014 17:26

The W:AB Noob wrote:Yes, you just stated what my question is about. "Good, like with most things in life can be subjective." But what is not subjective?

The 'imminence' of DLC #3 will always be bad. Never subjective :lol:
I live for the flame war

Drrty-D
Major

Postby Drrty-D » Tue 4 Nov 2014 17:28

What do you wish was different about our world? - Politicans and all around it should be sent to prisons or some hard working job for low payment.Countrys should be represented by no president,there should be groups of young,intelligent,smart people who work with even bigger network of helpers-all of them would work for free.

Also i wish i could go in to the past and not live surrounded by new tech. mobile phones and their popularity.You cant have a normal conversation with 3,4 friends at your place or anywhere else.its 100% sure that 1 or 2 of them will stare into this evil thing most of the time.

What is the reason to live? -To clens our karma from previous lifes to finally not be reborn again and live in perfect enlightend world with Buddha,Babaji,Jim Morrisson,J.Hendrix and the rest :-).

What is truth?The truth hurts,thats why its being covered perfectly by the media.

Imo the truth is that the world is ruled by N.W.O.I am sure(you can call me crazy) my country Jugoslavia was "ordered" to go into war against each after Tito died,we were just to good for them.Would pwn USA NBA dream team in the upcoming world cup,would rule the Football and many other Sports scene in the upcoming years until now-and not to speak about our military and all other departments.Systematically the same things are happening in next years to other countrys,the clearest case is Gaddafi and how it all went down.Media brainwash then attack and destroy....

Return to “Off-Topic”