Combat Mission - Black Sea

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Re: Combat Mission - Black Sea

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Fri 2 Jan 2015 22:02

Here's the links for the AAR, basically it's a play by play as the game goes on. Your milage varies as you have to go through all the commentary, but it's got lots of the gameplay going on. Hope they turn down the AI's tendency to ATGM EVERYTHING but so far looks pretty good.

Ukrainian/US Side

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... sukr-side/

Russian Side
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... sian-side/
Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Fri 2 Jan 2015 22:28

Make sure to get a PT belt as well, I heard it's "a must" accessory :P .

Re: Scorpion

Because the amount of money it would have cost to license multicam was pretty steep, and I suspect it may have been a bit inflated given the sort of "we'd like to buy your camo....well no actually no not going to buy it, hey maybe we'd like to buy your camo!" game the Army played for the last decade or so. Scorpion more or less is multicam changed slightly to avoid copyright issues as far as I can tell, and to make it a propriety pattern.

Splotches are a little different, colors are a little more intense.

Still super silly to me that the Army thought OCP was good enough to go to war in but not good enough for, well, anything else.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Fri 2 Jan 2015 22:36

Still super silly to me that the Army thought OCP was good enough to go to war in but not good enough for, well, anything else

Super silly to me we got rid of BDUs. UCP cost more, was less durable, and instead of needing two uniforms to blend in reasonably well in the two most likely environments (with woodland working very well anywhere that has green imo, and urban camo being a waste of time anyway), we got one uniform that blended in okay with gravel and certain patterns on couches.

The only positive thing was I didn't have to sew on new patches when I got promoted or moved to a new unit.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Fri 2 Jan 2015 22:46

panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:
Super silly to me we got rid of BDUs. UCP cost more, was less durable, and instead of needing two uniforms to blend in reasonably well in the two most likely environments (with woodland working very well anywhere that has green imo, and urban camo being a waste of time anyway), we got one uniform that blended in okay with gravel and certain patterns on couches.

The only positive thing was I didn't have to sew on new patches when I got promoted or moved to a new unit.

We can kind of blame the Marines because they decided to go off and get their own uniform (that nobody else can use because EGAs) and then everyone's brass decided that we can't be left behind.

Honestly, having a separate uniform for everyone is silly. MARPAT, UCP, OCP, that weird-ass tiger stripe UCP the Air Force has, and the two different non-MARPAT but MARPAT-looking Navy uniforms and Aquaflage... what's the point?

And Jesus Christ, I don't use my ACUs that much but I got some tears in 'em already. Less durable than the jeans I buy off the rack.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Sat 3 Jan 2015 02:03

panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:The only positive thing was I didn't have to sew on new patches when I got promoted or moved to a new unit.

This one guy said something similar. Hated sewing patches on, but he later hated how all his patches fell off. One day they were doing PT, and one decided that day he was going to go commando. So he ran, climbed over a wall and tore the rear of a pants and kept running.

Also, why can't we just bring back the BDUs and DCUs? The whole scorpion thing to me looks like they want the woodland pattern back, but at the same time they don't want to abandon universal camo concept. Plus the uniforms are still made out of tissue paper it seems.

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Sat 3 Jan 2015 02:19

Also, why can't we just bring back the BDUs and DCUs?

Because there's no money in that, and contractors need dollars.

The switching patches quickly in no way make up for the exploding pants though. The crotch blew out on some of my pants while hopping up on a truck, had to walk with chaps in lieu of pants back across the FOB.

BDUs, they got beat up, but it took stuff that'd injure the wearer before it'd rip.

FireTart
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby FireTart » Sat 3 Jan 2015 05:22

Shrike wrote:
panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:The only positive thing was I didn't have to sew on new patches when I got promoted or moved to a new unit.

This one guy said something similar. Hated sewing patches on, but he later hated how all his patches fell off. One day they were doing PT, and one decided that day he was going to go commando. So he ran, climbed over a wall and tore the rear of a pants and kept running.

Also, why can't we just bring back the BDUs and DCUs? The whole scorpion thing to me looks like they want the woodland pattern back, but at the same time they don't want to abandon universal camo concept. Plus the uniforms are still made out of tissue paper it seems.

Join the Air Force and come get our awful digitized grey tiger stripes and still have to sew names and ranks on.
I will say that our ABUs felt a lot sturdier than army ACUs, and I've yet to totally kill any sets that I own. But then, I'm not exactly going as hardcore as the groundpounders.

Darth-Lampshade
Captain

Postby Darth-Lampshade » Sat 3 Jan 2015 11:43

panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:Also, why can't we just bring back the BDUs and DCUs?

Not transformational enough. Needs to be built for the next-gen future force adaptive warfighter approved.

The lack of reflective belts on all non-Air Force uniforms is disturbing, this must be fixed so all the services can be transformational and next-gen.
When in doubt blame UGBEAR.

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Sat 3 Jan 2015 12:33

I think digital scorpion is next in line IMO. Then this:

Spoiler : :
At least your guys don't have a tendency to wear three or four different patterns at once.

Pic reflects my point.
Spoiler : :

panzersaurkrautwefer
Major-General

Postby panzersaurkrautwefer » Sat 3 Jan 2015 19:12

I think across the board, for every country that new camo patterns are the biggest scam in the whole military industrial complex. Something generally green works pretty well in green places. Something generally tan works well in tan places.

Mission accomplished. All these weirdo digital patterns, different swirls of grey and blue etc don't make a soldier somehow go all Predator and merge with the background. The reality is if the Soldier is on the move, congrats he can be seen. If he's not moving, unless he's behind something, or in pretty dense concealment, congrats he can be seen. The point of camo realistically is to make the soldier not stand out as much when he's in imperfect concealment.

Realistically I think the old OD drab uniforms weren't any worse camo than UCP or even scorpion at this point. At least they were durable.

Return to “Off-Topic”