Creationism

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Re: Creationism

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Thu 27 Nov 2014 12:50

I always forget there's an off-topic part of the forums. I could rant for hours about creationism and how it has no place in modern society but I'll leave it at that.

I'm an atheist through and through. Fine you can believe in religion but don't try preach it to me or tell me I'm wrong and going to magically pass into the earths mantle when I become ash/a rotting corpse.

Also children shouldn't be indoctrinated into religion, they should choose when they are old enough to do so.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Fri 28 Nov 2014 05:37

I believe Marx himself was an atheist because he saw how religion was used to control some people. I'd say holy wars were the result of intolerance of one's beliefs and the ability to manipulate people through ignorance. Same thing with the religious persecutions. The same can also be true for atheists.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 28 Nov 2014 05:48

Shrike wrote:I believe Marx himself was an atheist because he saw how religion was used to control some people. I'd say holy wars were the result of intolerance of one's beliefs and the ability to manipulate people through ignorance. Same thing with the religious persecutions. The same can also be true for atheists.

Depends which holy war you mention ofcourse :) many people forget that several crusades didnt start out of intolerance but self defence for different sides.

Though many if not most are due to intolerance, it is unfair to claim all were or all demanded this as a precept, many in fact tried to stop this (eg muslims beheaded their own who attacked jews and christians that were non combatants, same as christian leaders did to their own etc). The scene from kingdom of heaven wasnt far wrong with that.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 28 Nov 2014 07:45

Shrike wrote:I believe Marx himself was an atheist because he saw how religion was used to control some people. I'd say holy wars were the result of intolerance of one's beliefs and the ability to manipulate people through ignorance. Same thing with the religious persecutions. The same can also be true for atheists.

There has not been a war or genocidal institurion so far in human history whose sole goal and purpose is to instil atheistic beliefs onto people.
And don't say communism, because that is NOT communism's purpose.

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Fri 28 Nov 2014 07:48

Bryan wrote:

There has not been a war or genocidal institurion so far in human history whose sole goal and purpose is to instil atheistic beliefs onto people.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Fri 28 Nov 2014 08:22

Bryan wrote:

By intolerance I am referring to those people who post on the internet how the hate atheists and people of other religions are bad and that their religion is the one true belief. Like wise you get people like this:
Who are basically the same thing as this

Often in my encounters on the internet extremists on the atheist side will cite hundreds and thousands of years of religious conflicts, purges, crusades, and executions "committed" under religion. They will also cite things like mass ignorance and book burnings committed to keeping the churches relevant etc.

Like wise extremists people on the religious side who bring up thousands of years of conflict against evil jews/Christians/muslims/pagans and how they are the one true belief. They often reminisce about the good old days because "evil communist liberals" removed god from our schools and how atheists have an agenda and how they are going to hell.

But extremists are the same. The papacy used religion to bring power, order, and dominance by using religion. Anything that was viewed as threat to the source of power such as science journals, astronomers, scientists, etc were often purged. Countries like the USSR and PRC hid behind atheism and destroyed or monitored churches in the name of the teachings of marx while destroying anything that was deemed a threat to their power.

They both cite each other as a reason to hate one another, and each act is just one more reason to keep hating.

Mass killings: While there has been a genocide in the name of communism. I can think of three dictators who were atheists and had a large death toll. Those being Stalin, Mussolini(Fascist), and Mao. Which means you can follow any belief and still be evil no matter what you are.

I want is to do is create some form of coexistence through understanding and some degree of tolerance. For too long zealots and extremists have kept conflicts going for too long.

chema1994
Lieutenant General

Postby chema1994 » Fri 28 Nov 2014 11:36

Mussolini was such an atheist that gave the Pope his own state...

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 28 Nov 2014 13:00

chema1994 wrote:Mussolini was such an atheist that gave the Pope his own state...

LOL!
:lol:

Aubustou
Lieutenant

Postby Aubustou » Fri 28 Nov 2014 13:46

chema1994 wrote:Mussolini was such an atheist that gave the Pope his own state...

It's true, Mussolini was atheist. Sorry for the wikipedia link but the sources are in italian..: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Mus ... ious_views

Bryan wrote:

In some extend, the French Revolution, look for Robespierre and his "Supreme Man".
You're as intolerant as you are undocumented.
Image Gloire à la Nation!

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 28 Nov 2014 17:15

I had no idea that deism = atheism. :roll:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_the_Supreme_Being

I guess stereotypes exist for a reason. :geek:

Return to “Off-Topic”