Page 1 of 1

Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Sun 22 Feb 2015 21:10
by Fade2Gray
I finally have gotten around to watching CNN's Cold War documentary that Graphic suggested for me. I'm currently on episode 4, about the Berlin Airlift. Its definitely been one fascinating series, which leads me to ask again, does anyone else know anything else that is real good for information about the Cold War?

Also, as for books, if you could suggest them in eBook format, that would be nice. If there isn't any eBook version though, I'm still willing to track down a hardcover book.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOQm_eUXD7refxe2zn4cWWxF4NzRx2Ut2

Re: Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Sun 22 Feb 2015 21:13
by Killertomato
This here's another fascinating documentary series. It's on war as a whole, but due to being a late-70s production, it's 99.999% Cold War. Part 5 is basically European Escalation: the Documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPnppCe ... 6RMSr89tBx

It really has everything, it's one of the best documentary series I've ever seen on anything.

Re: Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Mon 23 Feb 2015 07:22
by Shrike
Killertomato wrote:This here's another fascinating documentary series. It's on war as a whole, but due to being a late-70s production, it's 99.999% Cold War. Part 5 is basically European Escalation: the Documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPnppCe ... 6RMSr89tBx

It really has everything, it's one of the best documentary series I've ever seen on anything.

Watched the first episode, loved it. I miss those old style documentaries, way better than that entertainment junk they play on tv. *shakes fist at history and military channel*

Re: Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Tue 24 Feb 2015 02:48
by Fade2Gray
I'll have to check it out next. Steadily doing 2 or 3 episodes of the CNN one a day for now.

Re: Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Tue 24 Feb 2015 03:00
by Lord Helmchen


This one's good, it has english subs only though.

Re: Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Tue 19 Nov 2019 09:58
by briansage
Hello guys,

Do you have a reference to Cold War: On the Brink of Apocalypse or Cold War Documentaries - "Atomic City: USA" from LearnOutLoud? I cannot find it, and the page from Reddit redirects me to the Catalog.
On my reading list:
The Cold War by John Lewis Gaddis
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
1984 by George Orwell

Re: Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Sun 1 Dec 2019 19:17
by [EUG]MadMat
briansage wrote:Do you have a reference to Cold War: On the Brink of Apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPit2BGNKwo

Best Cold War documentary IMO, and one which was most inspirational in our decision to do Wargame EE.

Re: Cold War Documentaries/Books

Posted: Tue 3 Dec 2019 14:19
by molnibalage
Fade2Gray wrote:does anyone else know anything else that is real good for information about the Cold War?

Pls. narrow down the question. Which part of the Cold War from which aspect?

About aviation?
SAMs?
Tanks?
Warships?
Submarines?
Politics in general?
Strategic and nuclear weapons?