US supercarrier sunk by French submarine

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Re: US supercarrier sunk by French submarine

Postby Shrike » Sat 7 Mar 2015 18:44

Darth-Lampshade wrote:Don't the environmentalists get all angry when active sonar is blazing away? Passive sonar is very important I know, but in a more serious situation it would be quite harder for a NATO (or other) submarine to pull such a stunt.

Some where out there some pilot whales beached themselves and some dude on a college campus is blaming the navy's use of sonar technology.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sat 7 Mar 2015 18:46

Shrike wrote:
Darth-Lampshade wrote:Don't the environmentalists get all angry when active sonar is blazing away? Passive sonar is very important I know, but in a more serious situation it would be quite harder for a NATO (or other) submarine to pull such a stunt.

Some where out there some pilot whales beached themselves and some dude on a college campus is blaming the navy's use of sonar technology.

I don't get it if that was the case whales would beach themselves whenever they made a noise after all the blue whale is the loudest animal on the planet. (Not including the bloop what ever that is)

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Sat 7 Mar 2015 18:48

Vulcan 607 wrote:
Shrike wrote:

I don't get it if that was the case whales would beach themselves whenever they made a noise after all the blue whale is the loudest animal on the planet. (Not including the bloop what ever that is)

Actually iirc its been kind of proven that the pings seriously upset alot of wales which is why many beach themselves or go up rivers as found happening in the UK every year.... just as they happen to be field testing or running a wargame off the UK.... :lol:

Its actually a legitimate concern, its not about it being "loud" its about the sound itself being pretty bad for the wales, i dont remember exactly how however as its been a few year since i looked into it.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sat 7 Mar 2015 19:02

Yeah I know pilot whales don't like it but they beach themselves all the time I personally think marine pollution is a more serious problem like plastic bags and micro beads (yes sound pollution as well) but at least it's been a while since a whale was torpedoed because somebody thought it was a submarine.

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Sat 7 Mar 2015 19:18

Vulcan 607 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
2. We will have 2 carriers by roughly 2020.

Yes will we have anything to fly off them? Already waiting for the news report saying that the carriers will be changed to STOBAR because the f35b fell through

Illustrious atm. Ocean can do the job with a ski-ramp added due to having the air group management facilities. Said conversion would not take long.

Queen Elizabeth is in the water and out fitting. Prince of Wales will soon join her.

To my knowledge the F-35 is still the RNs chosen fighter. It is a massive step change over the Sea harrier and frankly rapes the Typhoon.
ImageImage

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sat 7 Mar 2015 20:28

Brutoni wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Yes will we have anything to fly off them? Already waiting for the news report saying that the carriers will be changed to STOBAR because the f35b fell through

Illustrious atm. Ocean can do the job with a ski-ramp added due to having the air group management facilities. Said conversion would not take long.

Queen Elizabeth is in the water and out fitting. Prince of Wales will soon join her.

To my knowledge the F-35 is still the RNs chosen fighter. It is a massive step change over the Sea harrier and frankly rapes the Typhoon.

It's not ready yet (neither are the carriers) my main concern with the f35 is agility and maintenance. (As well as the fact the tornados maybe retired before it it combat ready)
Stealth isn't an issue in my view that's why we have storm shadows for those well defended targets.

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BeyondNight » Sat 7 Mar 2015 21:03

Brutoni wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Why outfit Ocean for F-35's... The Apaches and Chinooks flying off her have done a fine Job so far, and the Type 45's would be enough to keep it safe against air threats.
Spoiler : :

Return to “Off-Topic”