World of Warships

Kraxis
Major-General

Re: World of Warships

Postby Kraxis » Tue 5 May 2015 18:29

Of course not.

Considering the massive AA umbrellas the Baltimore, Des Moines and now the Iowa and Montana can put up... I'm going to guess that it actually won't be OP.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Tue 5 May 2015 21:15

Don't kill my F/A-18 dreams, man
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Tue 5 May 2015 21:21

Killertomato wrote:Don't kill my F/A-18 dreams, man

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Wed 6 May 2015 00:56

Where is the lie
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Mad22
Lieutenant

Postby Mad22 » Wed 6 May 2015 02:46

So is this game awesome?

I'm liking the videos. How do you guys find it to play?
HOT SHOTS IS MORE REALISTIC THAN TOP GUN. whats that about?

Chawp
Sergeant Major

Postby Chawp » Wed 6 May 2015 04:45

Mad22 wrote:So is this game awesome?

Surprisingly enjoyable. I never had any interest in Naval warfare(More of an Aviation guy) so I had no clue what the gameplay was gonna be like outside of promo stuff and youtube.

The core game mechanics are solid. There still somethings that need tweaking(Armour interactions, landmass collision models, "Blue-line drifting" e.t.c) but yeah, in its current state it does feel like a finish product.

I think the one thing I find that made it really enjoyable for me, is that there is a playstyle for almost everyone.
You want to get into the thick of it as fast as possible? Destroyers are for you.
Perhaps maybe you have a more reserved and calculated playstyle. Battleships are the way to go.
Or maybe you want a little bit of column A and little of column B. Crusiers its is.
Then there are Carriers... which are a totally different ballgame together, since its more of an RTS with focus on micro manging your various flights of aircraft.

Kolovrat
Lieutenant

Postby Kolovrat » Wed 6 May 2015 09:59

Mad22 wrote:So is this game awesome?

For now it's way too arcade for me due to mods like aiming assistants, especially when playing top battleships. In recent patch they are going to ban mods. It must make the game more competitive and atmospheric.

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Wed 6 May 2015 14:09

I never liked any of the mods for Wargaming games. They should just say no and call it IMO.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Wed 6 May 2015 14:48

Outside the Aim Assist mod there aren't that many screwy mods. There is the top-down mod, which offers a few minor advantages but having accidentally tried it (I tried to get a portion of a modpack and got it as well), I can say that it messes up as much as it helps.

Basically mods right now are skins, sight changes (essentially just variations of the present sight) and other minor UI changes. There have been attempts at the more comprehensive mods, but they appear to have failed, and the playerbase is overwhelmingly against them so far.

The current theory floating around, as to why Wargaming hasn't come out and said Aim Assist is not allowed, is that they have no way of enforcing it. So rather than look impotent they have 'allowed' it for 'information gathering' for the time being. But next patch should disable it... the question is for how long. But it is a safe bet that Wargaming doesn't like it. It creates a bad atmosphere even if the mod isn't used by anyone, and it ruins the game when it is used. Especially in combination with that top-down mod I mentioned (there you can more easily predict the path of the enemy if he tries to evade).

There are some pretty awesome skin mods out there, especially the ones dealing with camo schemes. Splint camo ftw. It just looks great. I suggest looking up Tanz' work if it has any interest.

Gameplaywise the game is pretty solid. It still needs tweaks of course. High tier IJN destroyers are horrible right now. Cruisers in general are brittle, but most at higher tiers, which is also where they are the most fun. Battleships lack armour. And aircraft are simply too fragile as well. So balancing needs to be handled, but that is being done. Next patch should see battleships get a massive boost, with armour being able to deflect shots entirely (so 0 damage hits). That probably means that it will get harder for cruisers to grind battleships down. But similarly cruisers that are now suffering from citadel hits from destroyers should be a lot more survivable, and the dominance of 150mm guns over 200mm should also become more even as the 150s will have trouble penetrating many cruisers.
But destroyers aren't left behind. Torpedoes will get buffed. Their detection range will go down, so longer ranged attacks will become possible (right now they are incredibly rare because the torpedoes get spotted 8km out).
The question is, what will Wargaming do about plane survivability in the face of the incredible AA umbrellas. I have watched people who are as awesome as iChase have issues with their damage capabilities in the highest tiers, even against no other CVs, simply because the targets kill their planes before they have a chance at dealing damage.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Wed 6 May 2015 15:09

Isnt aim assist just activating the thing they had in the alpha though? (which was a big reason i didnt play the alpha weekends perhaps) Meaning they could easily fix it by removing that part of the game from the system.

The bigger more likely issue is that from what was said they are looking to bring back the offiical aim assist system to the game revamped, because having to make players thing causes ruskies to whine :lol: but seriously, there seems to be alot of suspect thoughts on the company officially bringing this thing back into the game in the future though its highly unlikely given the massive anti movement.

As for torps, the detection range did go down it would seem, as torps from DDs seem to only show up point blank off you with little time to turn unless you got a plane going above or a friendly DD in on top of the area, so they do seem to be more effective to me now(you can see them still from range, its just that it seems to require actual "teamwork").

Return to “Off-Topic”