World of Warships

fatfluffycat
Major

Re: World of Warships

Postby fatfluffycat » Fri 24 Feb 2017 02:45

I kinda like the Donskoi, other than the terrible maneuverability and wet toilet paper armor it's pretty good. Great range and top speed.

I don't really care about getting the Moskva since it doesn't really fit my play style. (and it cost 275,000 XP :shock: )
How is possible? / Thread of the Year 2015

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Sun 26 Feb 2017 08:19

I am only 70k EXP away from Yamato. It took me two years, mainly due to massive procrastination on my part, but I'm almost there. :lol:

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sun 26 Feb 2017 08:42

Admiral Piett wrote:I am only 70k EXP away from Yamato. It took me two years, mainly due to massive procrastination on my part, but I'm almost there. :lol:

Is it realistic? do the main guns blow up if you fire anti aircraft rounds?

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Sun 26 Feb 2017 08:47

Vulcan 607 wrote:Is it realistic? do the main guns blow up if you fire anti aircraft rounds?

Hahahaha. Yamato is roughly tied with Grosser Kurfurst (WG creative license) for the best tier X BB. Montana is very strong, but it is the weakest of the three because it has armour issues. It will be interesting to see if Yamato stays top tier once more BBs turn up. I suspect the British tier X will also have 18" rifles, and I have no idea what the French will bring.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sun 26 Feb 2017 13:18

Admiral Piett wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:Is it realistic? do the main guns blow up if you fire anti aircraft rounds?

Hahahaha. Yamato is roughly tied with Grosser Kurfurst (WG creative license) for the best tier X BB. Montana is very strong, but it is the weakest of the three because it has armour issues. It will be interesting to see if Yamato stays top tier once more BBs turn up. I suspect the British tier X will also have 18" rifles, and I have no idea what the French will bring.

Wasn't the only British ship to have 18inch gun/s coastal monitors? Though the hypothetical hms incomparable would be cool to see

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Sun 26 Feb 2017 18:45

Vulcan 607 wrote:Wasn't the only British ship to have 18inch gun/s coastal monitors? Though the hypothetical hms incomparable would be cool to see

The British had several real plans with 18" rifles. I have no idea what WG is going to use though. My guess at British BB line:

III: Dreadnought
IV: There are multiple choices here. Colossus-class maybe?
V: Multiple choices again. I would personally go with the Iron Duke-class as Iron Duke has a lot of history behind it.
VI: Revenge or Queen Elizabeth-class.
VII: Nelson-class
VIII: King George V-class (1939). It could possibly get its 9x15" gun configuration, much like Gneisenau, if the 14" rifles can't cut it up at tier VIII.
XI: One of the Lion-class designs with 9x16" guns. They could possibly fit the N3-class here if they wanted, but I don't know.
X: This is where my knowledge of British BBs falls off. The N3-class has the firepower (9x18" guns), but not the displacement (which translates to HP pool in game). The British were working on lots of things, so WG will find something. Their last resort is creative license. I hate to say "fiction," because that doesn't do WG justice. They actually use weapon designs and the nation's design philosophy and the like to come up with things that are convincing (i.e. Grosser Kurfurst).

Hood is coming as a tier VII premium this year, and we already have Warspite (which is awesome) in game as a tier VI premium.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 26 Feb 2017 19:57

Admiral Piett wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:Wasn't the only British ship to have 18inch gun/s coastal monitors? Though the hypothetical hms incomparable would be cool to see

The British had several real plans with 18" rifles. I have no idea what WG is going to use though.

The British had a ship of the line with 18" rifles, or at least an 18" rifle. It was HMS Furious, a large light cruiser (touching 800ft) that was built, so far as I understand it, because someone told Jackie Fisher he wasn't allowed to build any more Battlecruisers. If it does 30 odd knots and hasn't got any armour worth the name, it's a Light Cruiser, right? While her two half-sisters, Glorious and Courageous, were given 2x twin 16" turrets she was originally designed with 2x18" guns in fore and aft turrets, which is stupid. They actually built her with a forward flying off deck and a single aft 18" gun, which is even stupider. Finally they plated the whole damn thing over along with her sisters and they became Aircraft Carriers and took part in WW2.

Courageous went hunting for U-Boats and found the torpedoes of one; Glorious forgot to put any planes up and got caught flat-footed by Scharnhorst and Gneisenau; Furious, stupidest of Fisher's Follies, survived the war.

I've not played much WoWS but I'd probably come back to it if I were offered HMS Furious as a premium, as built with a squadron of fighters and a single 18" memecannon but with hull sidegrades to either give her the forward gun back or fully convert her into a CV :lol: .
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

fatfluffycat
Major

Postby fatfluffycat » Sun 26 Feb 2017 23:24

How many new lines are they planing to push out this year? I hope that the US CA/CL split is one of them.
How is possible? / Thread of the Year 2015

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Sun 26 Feb 2017 23:31

FrangibleCover wrote:The British had a ship of the line with 18" rifles, or at least an 18" rifle. It was HMS Furious, a large light cruiser (touching 800ft) that was built, so far as I understand it, because someone told Jackie Fisher he wasn't allowed to build any more Battlecruisers. If it does 30 odd knots and hasn't got any armour worth the name, it's a Light Cruiser, right? While her two half-sisters, Glorious and Courageous, were given 2x twin 16" turrets she was originally designed with 2x18" guns in fore and aft turrets, which is stupid. They actually built her with a forward flying off deck and a single aft 18" gun, which is even stupider. Finally they plated the whole damn thing over along with her sisters and they became Aircraft Carriers and took part in WW2.

Stupid, manly... the line is thin sometimes.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 26 Feb 2017 23:35

Killertomato wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:The British had a ship of the line with 18" rifles, or at least an 18" rifle. It was HMS Furious, a large light cruiser (touching 800ft) that was built, so far as I understand it, because someone told Jackie Fisher he wasn't allowed to build any more Battlecruisers. If it does 30 odd knots and hasn't got any armour worth the name, it's a Light Cruiser, right? While her two half-sisters, Glorious and Courageous, were given 2x twin 16" turrets she was originally designed with 2x18" guns in fore and aft turrets, which is stupid. They actually built her with a forward flying off deck and a single aft 18" gun, which is even stupider. Finally they plated the whole damn thing over along with her sisters and they became Aircraft Carriers and took part in WW2.

Stupid, manly... the line is thin sometimes.

So was the Torpedo Protection System.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Return to “Off-Topic”