2015 General Election

GBNATO
General

Re: 2015 General Election

Postby GBNATO » Thu 7 May 2015 00:43

Well I liked Maggie.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 7 May 2015 00:49

GBNATO wrote:Well I liked Maggie.

Whats the first rule?

Dont bring up Thatcher in a UK election.

(points to those who get the reff)

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Thu 7 May 2015 02:12

Didn't Thatcher give up the exclusive rights to Spain alone and only in the late 80s?

The north sea cod population, despite a small resurgence in the late 70s plummeted in the early 80s. The damage was done long before Spain entered the scene. Also, while it might appear that UK lost shares, it has pretty much stayed steady from 1950 until the early 2000s in terms of landed catch. And as far as I know the various national boats head home to land catches. But the decline in British fishing had already begun, with the 1980 catch dropping off from 1970 (380.000 tons from 410.000 tons), then a similar drop to 1990 before an increase in the mid 90s. Until the catch settled back at the 300.000 metric tons in the early 2000s (which was pretty much what it had been in 1950).
So that doesn't really mesh too well. The British boats haven't been particularly badly hit, having maintained an overall even catch, which compared to say the Germans who ended up at less than a third of their catch in the early 2000s.

If the collapse is post 2000s, then I would argue it isn't really Thatcher you should point your finger at.

Also it should be noted that 300-400k tons is not marginal, but it isn't huge either. Since Denmark landed 1.8 million in 1990 from the North Sea (plus Kattegat and Skagerak), and employed a relatively few people in the industry. It is hardly a massive blow employmentwise.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Thu 7 May 2015 04:30

F***ing politics. No matter who gets in (ignoring small parties) your life isn't going to drastically get any better or worse unless you're super rich and they decide to tax you more.

People seem to have this false illusion that every election will bring about big change when really barely anything noticeable happens. And even if a party wants to implement something radical it's not like the economy could support it.

Graphic

Postby Graphic » Thu 7 May 2015 04:34

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you somehow know more than people living in the Commonwealth about how to run the Commonwealth!

A fair statement, yet somehow no one applies the same logic when it's time to lecture Americans about how to run their own country for the umpteenth time. ;)
k

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Thu 7 May 2015 05:23

My British office mate was initially looking forward to this election for the entertainment value since he was going to stay in Canada for his PhD. Now he is going back to the UK to pursue his PhD there and is freaking out a bit. :lol:

No result in the British election will be as big a deal as what just happened in my province.

Tipsy
Warrant Officer

Postby Tipsy » Thu 7 May 2015 10:40

Let's just hope for a Torie/Lib Dem coalition again, it's been good these last few years.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 7 May 2015 11:25

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:F***ing politics. No matter who gets in (ignoring small parties) your life isn't going to drastically get any better or worse unless you're super rich and they decide to tax you more.

People seem to have this false illusion that every election will bring about big change when really barely anything noticeable happens. And even if a party wants to implement something radical it's not like the economy could support it.

Not in this, 1 side is going for extreme cost cutting and tax cutting for the top people without really closing tax loopholes, the other is going for government spending to bring back jobs so people buy more things and then creates natural jobs which they can be moved off to (ie mass government done building works where buildings are sold off for profit), a fair tax level for the most rich with loopholes being closed (ie no more bs like amazon getting away with 0% tax)

Yet alone the implications for armed forces spending, nhs spending and operations, jobseekers allowance spending and changes and so on.

In the UK it isnt false, i have been on the recieving end of 2 different parties in my adult life and it was drastically different when the Tories took office.

Tipsy wrote:Let's just hope for a Torie/Lib Dem coalition again, it's been good these last few years.

Yeah, if you werent on the brunt end of their horrifically bad ideas such as the initiative that basically screwed over a few thousand disabled people whom died on it ofcourse(like some of my family members).

Vladimirova
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Vladimirova » Thu 7 May 2015 11:43

What if there were an SNP-UKIP coalition
The Notorious, Narcissistic Pink

GBNATO
General

Postby GBNATO » Thu 7 May 2015 11:47

Vladimirova wrote:What if there were an SNP-UKIP coalition

Singularity would be achieved and the universe would cease to exist.

Return to “Off-Topic”