2015 General Election

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: 2015 General Election

Postby Graphic » Thu 14 May 2015 03:30

DrRansom wrote:What is worrying is that the same ideas which are extinguishing freedom of speech in Britain also exist in the US....

Not really, no.

We can't have Hate Speech or Triggering Speech or any of that, can we?

Hate speech has been specifically protected by the SCOTUS. So yes, you can.
k

DrRansom
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DrRansom » Thu 14 May 2015 04:57

The idea that speech should be restricted exists in the US and that has spread quite far in elite society (see the Doonesbury cartoonist on Charlie Hebdo). It is not at all an exaggeration to say that a solid number of thinkers don't believe in free speech. Free speech is now cast as: I believe in Free Speech, but...

What happens if a society no longer defends a right? Then the law will quietly become a dead letter in practice. The government may not prevent free speech, but everybody with power in society (political elite, intellectual elite, large corporations) will. That's a distinction without much of a difference.

Graphic

Postby Graphic » Thu 14 May 2015 05:47

So Obama's PC police is going to silence you.

Yeah, no.
k

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Thu 14 May 2015 05:56

I wish he'd have silenced you before you were forced out of this recital, Graphic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMifdGM1Ifo

Graphic

Postby Graphic » Thu 14 May 2015 06:20

I regret nothing
k

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 14 May 2015 10:51

nWODT_Niack wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-is-too-tolerant-and-should-interfere-more-in-peoples-lives-says-david-cameron-10246517.html

What kind of twisted agenda is Cameron really about ?

Depends whom they target with this, if they target the sods in the muslim community going about trying to MAKE people attack islam with their assaults on democracy and so on and so forth, sure, why not, those people are a poison in the community and need to be tackled, but depends how. If they mean "you make a joke you are doomed" then, well...

Graphic wrote:Freedom of speech seems to be on life support in Britain. It's not some cheapshot dick waving comment about "muh freedom," I genuinely feel sad about it because I love Britain. I hope they can turn a corner before its too late.

Guess who blocked them doing this 3 or so years ago.... We wont turn the corner, its another 5 years till we can elect a new government, unless the queen goes "**** you Cammy you are no longer in charge" and disbands the government for the sake of the people.

DrRansom wrote:As for the British elections, LOL at the Liberal Democrats. Protest party doesn't last after it has the challenge of actually governing.

Not really anything to do with governing, they were scapegoated hard, the tories got ALL credit in the last 5 years, all people remembered from the lib dems was they limited the amount tuition went up when they stated they would do their best to not allow that, they ignored everything else this party achieved from stopping cammys bs in the article above to giving the poorest of us a significant tax break of no tax on our first £10.6k earned (before this we paid tax on all of it iirc of what, 20% or so if we earned a full time earning on national min?)

Nothing to do with actually governing, more they got attacked hard by the Murdoch press(only party advocating massive reform which would crush his power in the UK media), Cameron left them out to dry and they didnt tell people the real crap they stopped which has came out post election.

Return to “Off-Topic”