Charleston Church Shooting.

GBNATO
General

Charleston Church Shooting.

Postby GBNATO » Fri 19 Jun 2015 12:21

It's a very sad state of affairs but interesting none the less and has brought up a couple of interesting points. So why not get a discussion going on the matter? lots of times I've seen threads derail towards the arguments on gun control so lets have an explicit conversation here.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/18/obama-on-charleston-ive-had-to-make-statements-like-this-too-many-times?CMP=fb_gu
Obama makes a point of stating that mass murder such as this is almost exclusively an American problem, nowhere else does it happen with such frequency in the developed world.

Also once again we are confronted with the idea of institutionalized racism, exemplified in this instance apparently by the treatment of the primary 'suspect' (Yes I realize some edgy facebook meme thing isn't a great example but hey-ho I had it in front of me)

It's a sensitive subject, but lets please try and be somewhat civil about it.

Attachments
Charleston.jpg
Charleston.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Last edited by GBNATO on Fri 19 Jun 2015 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Charleston Church Shooting.

Postby Killertomato » Fri 19 Jun 2015 12:36

Having a bulletproof vest on the perp walk is an example of privilege now? BTW, in a video of the arrest and also in le edgy meme up there, you can clearly see that the cop behind him is controlling his arms.

So far, I've seen no evidence that they've treated him any better because he's white. Not sure I'd be surprised if they did, 'cause they do still fly the fauxfederate flag from the capitol roof down there, but they haven't.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Fri 19 Jun 2015 12:40

Extra tight gun control seems to be the best option. I am against denying guns to citizens, but extra tight control is something that minimizes the risk of guns falling into the wrong hands.

Tirak
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Tirak » Fri 19 Jun 2015 12:42

I know nothing about this incident, and your articles linked do not inform on them. I have no interest in hunting down this information on my own. If you want to have a conversation on this, provide information on what happened.

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Fri 19 Jun 2015 12:50

BTR wrote:Extra tight gun control seems to be the best option. I am against denying guns to citizens, but extra tight control is something that minimizes the risk of guns falling into the wrong hands.

He got the handgun as a present from his dad. He had pending felony drug charges at the time, which means that he shouldn't have been able to get a gun- which means that his dad is probably going to be up on weapons charges.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 19 Jun 2015 12:55

There was some form of racism involved, the perp was caught wearing a jacked with Apartheid flags sewed onto his jacket.

Link to article for those confused:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/06/church-attacked-deadly-hate-crime-shooting-150618042549906.html

Also an interesting article a friend sent me, don't know anything about the sources or site, so take what you will from it.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/06/18 ... ying-them/

ReverendSpecialK
Warrant Officer

Postby ReverendSpecialK » Fri 19 Jun 2015 13:59

I wonder why the bowl cut has gone out of style.
The Original, Narcissistic Yellow.
Image <-Click Here for More Info!

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Fri 19 Jun 2015 14:45

ReverendSpecialK wrote:I wonder why the bowl cut has gone out of style.

Yep, first thing a colleague told me this morning was that he hoped his bowl cup would be considered as aggravating circumstance during his trial. :)

Killertomato wrote:Having a bulletproof vest on the perp walk is an example of privilege now?

DSK, a major public figure in economy & politics, got the handcuffs and no bulletproof vest ...
And he ain't killed anybody.

Btw, I've got a genuine legal question some Americans might be able to answer ...
Is the perp walk actually "legal"? I mean, AFAIK, the basic justice concept that everyone is innocent until proven guilty works on both sides of the Atlantic. How does cops proudly exposing a suspect, hence technically an innocent, to the searing lights of the press fits in there?
When you show the crowd a man in handcuffs held by uniformed cops, this is a no brainer in peoples' mind: the guy is a criminal. And he will remained perceived that way for the rest of the legal procedure. We're just short of tar & feathers here.

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Fri 19 Jun 2015 14:53

They NYPD isn't the Charleston PD, they have different SOPs- and the NYPD probably decided that nobody was going to Jack Ruby DSK (point of putting a vest on him) while I would imagine a lot of people want this guy dead.

As for the legality of the perp walk, that's a matter of heavy dispute. A lot of PDs don't do it, a lot do.

LoneRifle
Major-General

Postby LoneRifle » Fri 19 Jun 2015 15:12

GBNATO wrote:Obama makes a point of stating that mass murder such as this is almost exclusively an American problem, nowhere else does it happen with such frequency in the developed world.

Also once again we are confronted with the idea of institutionalized racism, exemplified in this instance apparently by the treatment of the primary 'suspect' (Yes I realize some edgy facebook meme thing isn't a great example but hey-ho I had it in front of me)

It's a sensitive subject, but lets please try and be somewhat civil about it.

Charlie Hedbo was only how many months ago?

And it is certainly not "Institutionalized racism".

You had a troubled kid whose parents should have known better than to give him a gun. It's sad and horrible, and I've been to Charleston many times and passed by the church in question before. Tough day for the city.

Return to “Off-Topic”