Charleston Church Shooting.

GBNATO
General

Re: Charleston Church Shooting.

Postby GBNATO » Wed 24 Jun 2015 11:55

LoneRifle wrote:I'm getting pretty sick of all the shit about wiping out every trace of "Confederate History". I can't check my emails without seeing a "Remove X in Y state" because it's CSA history and offensive. It's as if people think they can push a delete button and suddenly improve race relations.

Well the confederacy and it's ideals for the most part were objectively bad. Removing symbols and monuments to them won't make people less racist but it sends a clear message to the black community, and can't really be seen as a negative.

If I was a Black resident of the US I would take it as a real slap to the face if I saw monuments and streets named after people like Nathan Bedford Forrest or anyone like him. By all means remember the dead, but don't glorify the confederacy.

Sarvik
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Sarvik » Wed 24 Jun 2015 12:47

I would guess that main effect of terms like "white privilege" is driving a wedge between poor white people and poor black people.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Wed 24 Jun 2015 13:26

Sarvik wrote:I would guess that main effect of terms like "white privilege" is driving a wedge between poor white people and poor black people.

These days, yup, that seems to be it and also its main effect is to be a buzz word to try and silence somebody you dont like.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon ... mhq9EJdwe2

For example, this, nearly 17 apply to me 1 way or another and i am white... (bar like, 1, which is being followed in stores but i get that to a degree for wearing metal clothing sometimes lol) Though the terrorism 1 is idiotic at best imo, isnt about race really but religion that more so.

What it should be is "majority privilege" really over anything, though it still doesnt help alot.
Last edited by Mitchverr on Wed 24 Jun 2015 14:46, edited 2 times in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed 24 Jun 2015 14:01

Went everyone shit talks the Confederate battle flag in South Carolina, Mississippi is over here minding their own business with their state flag: Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Wed 24 Jun 2015 15:01

Maybe not for much longer if some members of the Mississippi legislature have their way.

That's lol-worthy, though, they only adopted the damn thing in 2001.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Wed 24 Jun 2015 15:03

Mitchverr wrote:
Sarvik wrote:I would guess that main effect of terms like "white privilege" is driving a wedge between poor white people and poor black people.

These days, yup, that seems to be it and also its main effect is to be a buzz word to try and silence somebody you dont like.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon ... mhq9EJdwe2

For example, this, nearly 17 apply to me 1 way or another and i am white... (bar like, 1, which is being followed in stores but i get that to a degree for wearing metal clothing sometimes lol) Though the terrorism 1 is idiotic at best imo, isnt about race really but religion that more so.

What it should be is "majority privilege" really over anything, though it still doesnt help alot.

yeah as if the police wasn't a dick to everyone (ethnic minorities especially but no one's safe)...
really, a friend of mine was stopped and frisked because she wore black clothes and looked "leftist" to them...

Mad22
Lieutenant

Postby Mad22 » Wed 24 Jun 2015 15:12

Am I the only one thinking that harping on about the flag is very much missing the point. The confederate flag isn't necessarily a bad flag. It's become a pointless distraction. I mean hell I like the confederate flag (damn you dukes of hazard) and do I want slavery reintroduced in the south, NO. does liking the flag make me racist. No absolutely not. Being human makes me sub consciously racist but with brain engaged I would never discriminate.
HOT SHOTS IS MORE REALISTIC THAN TOP GUN. whats that about?

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Wed 24 Jun 2015 15:19

Mad22 wrote:Am I the only one thinking that harping on about the flag is very much missing the point. The confederate flag isn't necessarily a bad flag. It's become a pointless distraction. I mean hell I like the confederate flag (damn you dukes of hazard) and do I want slavery reintroduced in the south, NO. does liking the flag make me racist. No absolutely not. Being human makes me sub consciously racist but with brain engaged I would never discriminate.

Well the flag does wake some memories,bad ones... a good comparison imo is this flag
Spoiler : :

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Wed 24 Jun 2015 15:26

Yeah i can see issue there.

Though to me, the confed flag would be like if i hung this out the window...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 29.svg.png

Though what they did was a significant part of my nations history, it is also a very bad part of it.

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Wed 24 Jun 2015 15:34

The Confederate battle flag is a symbol of treason and slavery.

orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Return to “Off-Topic”