#MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Shrike » Sat 21 Oct 2017 19:34

Fade2Gray wrote:
Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I would think there would need to be a.. You know... Emergency to insight a national emergencies act?

Here's your first emergency.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 785344001/

You know, I have heard of this before, and repeatedly. Because I'm a stubborn (and stupid as fuck) old man, I didn't believe it. I mean, one of the most (if not the) glamorous jobs in the military has a.... shortage? Really? There's not enough people who want to ride into the DANGAH ZONE? I don't believe it. Kinda hard to deny it with this staring me in the face though.

The standards for becoming a fighter pilot is too high in my opinion.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Sat 21 Oct 2017 21:08

Shrike wrote:The standards for becoming a fighter pilot is too high in my opinion.

Don't know what the standards are exactly on the other side of the big pond, but everything I got told while running through the examination procedure over here was that you need to be able to stack toy bricks and know your multiplications to become a plane jockey with the Americans. :lol:

But honestly, there is a reason why they are tough with the USAF and even a little bit tougher over here. Beyond physical fitness and a superb medical condition as the essentials (the latter one was my disqualifier :cry: ), knowledge of basic physics, maths and (at best) aircraft handling are pretty much mandatory for a reason. Lowering the standard on any of those mentioned will give you people less capable to handle the airplane under extreme conditions and perform the thinking and actions needed to complete the task at hand.

Anyone having trouble calculating his shit on the ground will be unable to perform the live saving calculations in the air, under prolonged G-pressure and maybe even under threat of enemy air or anti-air units.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sun 22 Oct 2017 07:52

Being a pilot is pretty hard here.

You need to have certain physique (Not just being fit, you got to be a certain height and width), have full colour range sight with perfect vision and be very educated in physics and mechanics, and that's just to get into the cadet school.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Sun 22 Oct 2017 22:46

If you do all that and don't get into the academy, your chances of fighter piloting are still low. Rolling through AFROTC is generally a path to a ground position or trash hauling.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Cheesehead » Sun 22 Oct 2017 23:08

Killertomato wrote:If you do all that and don't get into the academy, your chances of fighter piloting are still low. Rolling through AFROTC is generally a path to a ground position or trash hauling.

False. All you need is a really good GPA and decent test scores. (business degrees are pretty popular since their easy to get A's in) The Academy just guarantees a spot for those that want it and not specific airframes; that's based off your initial training.

Probably the biggest washout right now is medical standards. They are extremely stringent and that is what probably disqualifies most of the folks once they actually get a slot..

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Mon 23 Oct 2017 03:59

The global myopia epidemic must make the search for fighter pilots a hassle. Like half of everyone under the age of 20 are short sighted in the west, in asia it's more like 90%. The major future push for drones is going to be a lack of people even capable of flying.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Mon 23 Oct 2017 13:48

Cheesehead wrote:
Killertomato wrote:If you do all that and don't get into the academy, your chances of fighter piloting are still low. Rolling through AFROTC is generally a path to a ground position or trash hauling.

False. All you need is a really good GPA and decent test scores. (business degrees are pretty popular since their easy to get A's in) The Academy just guarantees a spot for those that want it and not specific airframes; that's based off your initial training.

Probably the biggest washout right now is medical standards. They are extremely stringent and that is what probably disqualifies most of the folks once they actually get a slot..

How good is really good? I was Army ROTC and all "really good" got you was an active duty slot. To get anything high-demand (aviation, EOD), you needed to be a 3.9+ student with ROTC and non-ROTC electives, public service, a standout performer in the battalion itself, in line for a technical degree (or at least finance), have 2+ military schools under your belt, and also be recommended by your CO. Enlisted experience helped too.*

Now that's doable, technically, but it's not really doable. I guess AFROTC would be different, though.

*or... you could just play football and never even bother to show up.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Cheesehead » Mon 23 Oct 2017 20:43

Killertomato wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:

How good is really good? I was Army ROTC and all "really good" got you was an active duty slot. To get anything high-demand (aviation, EOD), you needed to be a 3.9+ student with ROTC and non-ROTC electives, public service, a standout performer in the battalion itself, in line for a technical degree (or at least finance), have 2+ military schools under your belt, and also be recommended by your CO. Enlisted experience helped too.*

Now that's doable, technically, but it's not really doable. I guess AFROTC would be different, though.

*or... you could just play football and never even bother to show up.

Yeah, the Army had a crazy high GPA at the time for active duty. They didn't have as many technical degree folks as the AFROTC though. The Air Force handed out officer slots like crazy if you met the standards (2.5 GPA and didn't get into too much trouble) and had a technical degree. Those without a technical degree generally needed a higher GPA and a good rec from the commander. For the pilot slots as long as you had decent test scores, goodish GPA, a private pilots license, and didn't majorly piss off too many people, you had a fair shot at getting a slot. It's just after that making it through the flight physical which DQ's a lot of folks.

The Army also loved our cast offs as we cut a lot of good folks cause they didn't have technical degrees, had a only decent GPA's and didn't brown nose. It was also a lot easier to get an Army scholarship compared to the AF. (Only technical degrees really got them unless you were a superstar)

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 24 Oct 2017 11:28

Bill O'Reilly being mad at God...

you can't explain that!
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

D-M

Postby D-M » Tue 24 Oct 2017 17:45

It's a test. :lol: