So, what's up with immigrants?

Romiros
That was soooo easy

So, what's up with immigrants?

Postby Romiros » Sun 6 Sep 2015 15:20

News in RUNET are all about immigrants flooding Europe like Plagues of Egypt. But what about news from first hands? Can locals tell what's going on? Is that really so bad? Or just few Russian immigrants overreacted in livejournal?

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: So, what's up with immigrants?

Postby Sleksa » Sun 6 Sep 2015 15:37

Romiros wrote:News in RUNET are all about immigrants flooding Europe like Plagues of Egypt. But what about news from first hands? Can locals tell what's going on? Is that really so bad? Or just few Russian immigrants overreacted in livejournal?

I bet it's something like this

GBNATO
General

Postby GBNATO » Sun 6 Sep 2015 15:50

Well the migrant crisis pretty much turned the south of England into a lorry park for a while, major motorways ground to a near complete halt and businesses lost millions of pounds as a result. This was compounded by the ever workshy French transport unions who pretty much stopped cross channel commercial and recreational transport. Even when that was over Migrants kept getting into the Euro tunnel, mobbed ferry terminals and climbed over trains which also delayed service.

My town, Maidstone, was at a standstill for about a week. I've never known anything like it.

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Sun 6 Sep 2015 20:29

Well there have been hordes of asylum seekers coming through Vienna in the past two days. The amount of help displayed by the Austrian people is quite astonishing though. I have been through Vienna Western Station today where all the immigrants change trains towards Germany and all was very orderly. The Federal Railways put up posters in Arabic and English and there are volunteer translators at the station directing people to the right trains.

Viennese volunteers wait on the platforms providing water, food and warm blankets. The refugees are very thankful. Paramedics treat weak refugees before they continue on. Of the 10.000 people who have passed through Austria in the past few days, only 20 or so decided to apply for asylum in Austria, I think that's why we're so calm about the whole situation.

In a typical Austrian move the Federal Police declared they were acting 100% in accordance with EU laws since the Schengen agreement forbids systematic immigration controls inside the Schengen area, therefore they "can't do anything against the situation and hope Hungary will do its duty of securing the Schengen Exterior Border"

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sun 6 Sep 2015 22:09

Romiros wrote:News in RUNET are all about immigrants flooding Europe like Plagues of Egypt. But what about news from first hands? Can locals tell what's going on? Is that really so bad? Or just few Russian immigrants overreacted in livejournal?

Hearing the same in the US tbh on the forums I frequent. Poland in particular comes to mind as willing to house a bunch, but I may have misinterpreted the news reports and blogs.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 6 Sep 2015 22:26

AFAIK it's a lot about refugees not just immigrants. There being major conflicts in Syria and places.

Over here, they had to house a handful in tents (with heating to survive the cold august/early september nights) since they didn't have enough rooms inside the facility. With a handful I mean a handful... not sure if it was a full dozen in the place. Made the main news.

Oliver wrote:In a typical Austrian move the Federal Police declared they were acting 100% in accordance with EU laws since the Schengen agreement forbids systematic immigration controls inside the Schengen area, therefore they "can't do anything against the situation and hope Hungary will do its duty of securing the Schengen Exterior Border"

Why did Hungary get flak for putting up the big fence btw? (Recall statement from... umm was it European Council?)

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Sun 6 Sep 2015 22:38

Got a laugh out of this

https://vid.me/nHCc
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Sun 6 Sep 2015 23:45

Here in Hamburg we have quite a lot of pepole, but also a lot of solidarity.
Churches, football clubs, partys, groups or just ordinary people, many help.

(Just heard the cops stopped a train to hamburg from vienna in hannover and are sending the refugees to dortmund (wtf?) No confirmation though)

But sadly the situation in germany is largely divided. In berlin or hamburg you have waves of solidarity while almost everyday you get news that some asshole set fire to a asylum home again...
Also had the Neo-Nazi riots in Heidenau which turned into Left v. Right v. Cops streetbattles for like 3 days...
(Even had the first attemped murders via molotov a while ago...on a famaly of five with three small kids, them all szrviving was just a coincidence...)

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Sun 6 Sep 2015 23:59

varis wrote:
Why did Hungary get flak for putting up the big fence btw? (Recall statement from... umm was it European Council?)

Wouldn't necessarily say they got only bad feedback. Sure there were a lot of extreme leftists screaming that a fence is inhuman and that we are turning Europe into a fortress, but I think most reasonable people realised we somehow need to stop uncontrolled immigration. A fence is a good first step IMO to stop illegal border crossings.

Hungary said they will put up transit zones at the Serbian border where refugees can apply for asylum directly at the Schengen border. I personally support this approach and think the EU should do similar things on the southern border.

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sleksa » Mon 7 Sep 2015 00:27

Bullfrog wrote:Got a laugh out of this

https://vid.me/nHCc

In here our PM donated his house for the poor refugees. He also interviews a 17 year old kid who was in Baghdad college in '12 and tweeted about being in prison prior to that.

Return to “Off-Topic”