Canada and its F-35

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Canada and its F-35

Postby BeyondNight » Sat 26 Sep 2015 21:39

Killertomato wrote:
and its not really too retarded of a dream, especially when the Civ sector is so big.

It's dumb as hell. You know what would be better? Just buying F-15s. The Arrow would be (a) more expensive and (b) worse. It was worse than the F-106 and that entered service before it would have. You know, back in the late '50s?

:lol: :lol: :lol: worse.
Spoiler : :

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Sat 26 Sep 2015 21:41

Course it was. I'm talking about the real aircraft, not the imaginary mach 3 version.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BeyondNight » Sat 26 Sep 2015 21:46

Killertomato wrote:

Course it was. I'm talking about the real aircraft, not the imaginary mach 3 version.

Nope, not even close, i mean your comparing an Aircraft 1/2 the Size of the Arrow to the Arrow.

Also the "real" aircraft was just some of the test aircraft using J-75's, Mk2 was supposed to be Production version with the Iroquois its a different beast, but thats expected when you increase your total thrust from 47k lbs Wet to 60K lbs Wet.

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Sat 26 Sep 2015 21:54

Nope, not even close, i mean your comparing an Aircraft 1/2 the Size of the Arrow to the Arrow.

So? Go take a look at the spec sheet for both. Range? Basically the same. Max alt? F-106 was better. Armament? That the 105 had over the 106.

Also the "real" aircraft was just some of the test aircraft using J-75's, Mk2 was supposed to be Production version with the Iroquois its a different beast, but thats expected when you increase your total thrust from 47k lbs Wet to 60K lbs Wet.

13k lbs of thrust was never going to turn the CF-105 into the YF-12.

The Arrow's only really notable for the way it shows off the amazing chip on Canadians' shoulders. Marketing it as a competitor for the F-35 is... lol.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BeyondNight » Sat 26 Sep 2015 22:03

Killertomato wrote:

So? Go take a look at the spec sheet for both. Range? Basically the same. Max alt? F-106 was better. Armament? That the 105 had over the 106.

13k lbs of thrust was never going to turn the CF-105 into the YF-12.

The Arrow's only really notable for the way it shows off the amazing chip on Canadians' shoulders. Marketing it as a competitor for the F-35 is... lol.

lol Spec sheet... of a test aircraft.

No its not going to be a YF-12 (thats hilarious, Recce Vs interceptor designs now) but the Iroquois engine could work at 60K+ Feet, Also 13K lbs of thrust does make a huge difference wtf are you talking about, its around 20% more power, thats a significant change.

p.s. Ive never been one of the idiots to tout a M3 Aircraft or any of that, but the Arrow WAS advanced for its time.

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Sat 26 Sep 2015 22:07

No its not going to be a YF-12 (thats hilarious, Recce Vs interceptor designs now)

The YF-12 was the interceptor variant.

but the Iroquois engine could work at 60K+ Feet, Also 13K lbs of thrust does make a huge difference wtf are you talking about, its around 20% more power, thats a significant change.

It wasn't going to magic the Arrow into a world-beatingly brilliant aircraft.

p.s. Ive never been one of the idiots to tout a M3 Aircraft or any of that, but the Arrow WAS advanced for its time.

It was. It just wasn't a superfighter that would somehow be worth a damn 60 years after it was cancelled.

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sat 26 Sep 2015 22:12

BeyondNight wrote:lol Spec sheet... of a test aircraft.

AKA how you sell modern fighters and SAM's :P

another505

Postby another505 » Sat 26 Sep 2015 22:28

You are asking too much of our country to start a new plane from scratch . While we do have a solid civilian industry which my cousin is also working in. It will never happen as we had already dump millions into f35, it will takes years before a proto would even be ready by then the cf18 are all crashed. And asking canada to give a bigger military budget is a joke
Of Salt

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BeyondNight » Sat 26 Sep 2015 22:29

Killertomato wrote: The YF-12 was the interceptor variant.

Based off of what Design ?
Thats what i meant BTW, YF-12 still was based off of a design used for Recon, Arrow was built from ground Up to be an Interceptor, not modded into one.

Killertomato wrote: It wasn't going to magic the Arrow into a world-beatingly brilliant aircraft.

World beating; Maybe, Put Canada on the Map for Aviation; Definitely.

Also you missed TWR when comparing the F-106 Vs the Arrow... Kind of Important for an Interceptor design, Production variant would have sat at 1:1 or higher TWR, yea, itd be fast.

Killertomato wrote:It was. It just wasn't a superfighter that would somehow be worth a damn 60 years after it was cancelled.

Avro did have plans to continually improve the actual production design in lots, and the delta design is definitely still relevant, just look at all the European designs.

Thats where everyone has the point fly completely over their head.
The Original design obviously wouldn't still be relevant, but the improved design would have, and more importantly the materials used in it was what really made it "ahead of its time" as some people like to say, not the actual aerodynamic design.

The Arrow cant be placed because it didnt get to run the race metaphorically, its like the Prospect who go injured and never played, everyone's bitter about it, because they knew that even if it didnt turn out as great as had been planned, its existence carried other important values.

BIG DISCLAIMER: I DONT THINK WE SHOULD TRY AND REBUILD IT, NO BUENO, NO WAY IN HELL TO MUCH CIOST AND TIME, BETTER TO BUY A DESIGN AND JUST ASSEMBLE IF WE WANT TO "MAKE" A FIGHTER AIRCRAFT.

COULD =/= SHOULD

Darth-Lampshade
Captain

Postby Darth-Lampshade » Sat 26 Sep 2015 22:33

Canadians mourning the Arrow are much like Brits mourning the TSR-2. You've just got to let them do it or they'll explode.
When in doubt blame UGBEAR.

Return to “Off-Topic”