Blinded by the Rising Sun? American Intelligence Assessments of Japanese Air and Naval Power, 1920-1941

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Blinded by the Rising Sun?: American Intelligence Assessments of Japanese Air and Naval Power, 1920-1941

Postby Cheesehead » Tue 8 Dec 2015 04:38

Excellent read, I'd actually be curious to read the final paper once it becomes public and it looks to be a pretty decent case study on high level ISR. Do have a couple questions-

1. Just curious where you got the majority of your primary sources and how you accessed them? I eventually will end up doing something similar to this so always looking to see what others do.

2. Got a good source for airpower in Japan?

3. Also wondering if there is a definitive book on the Yamamoto program and the various design proposals?

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Re: Blinded by the Rising Sun?: American Intelligence Assessments of Japanese Air and Naval Power, 1920-1941

Postby Admiral Piett » Tue 8 Dec 2015 09:12

Cheesehead wrote:Excellent read, I'd actually be curious to read the final paper once it becomes public and it looks to be a pretty decent case study on high level ISR. Do have a couple questions-

1. Just curious where you got the majority of your primary sources and how you accessed them? I eventually will end up doing something similar to this so always looking to see what others do.

2. Got a good source for airpower in Japan?

3. Also wondering if there is a definitive book on the Yamamoto program and the various design proposals?

1. My primary sources mostly consisted of naval and military attache reports. I also had some published works thrown in. This was only an MA thesis, so the level of primary research was well below that of a PhD dissertation. The stuff I was looking at was at NARA I (Washington, D.C.) and NARA II (College Park, Maryland). I traveled there for a couple of weeks. It wasn't always a pleasant experience, as there was a lot of security and paperwork to get through. Once I got into the rhythm of things, the research went pretty fast. It mostly consisted of me just taking pictures of things that I thought would be useful. The stuff I needed was almost entirely in paper form, except for a little bit that was on microfilm. The records of intelligence documents from the period are a real mess. They are spread through various series hidden in multiple paper finding aids at both NARA sites. None of the archivists I spoke to had any real knowledge of them either, so I was left on my own.

2. There is one good single volume source for that in English, and it is only for the IJNAS. Nothing like it has been written on the IJAAS:

For reference stuff concerning Japanese aircraft, Francillon is the best you can get in a single volume. It has quite a few errors, but there isn't anything better in English without trying to piece together little bits of information from all over the place:

There are other works that address air power stuff, but not like the books above. For naval air combat in the decisive years of the Pacific War, the buck stops with Lundstrom's masterpieces:

3. Books on the Yamato-class are common, but most tend to just parrot stuff from the same sources. I have never read this book myself, but people have said it is the best one out there in English:

The one book about the development of the Japanese fleet (including the big battleships) is this:

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Cheesehead » Wed 9 Dec 2015 05:08

Thanks for the suggestions. To Amazon I go.

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Sun 21 Feb 2016 00:16

Just added a "further reading" section on stuff related to intelligence and the Pacific War. Most of them are journal articles, so you will need access to databases through your school (if you are currently attending). The Naval War College Review is open however.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Blinded by the Rising Sun? American Intelligence Assessments of Japanese Air and Naval Power, 1920-1941

Postby Mike » Wed 24 Feb 2016 08:06

Finally read this and it's very good work. Better have given you an A. :P
Courtesy of KattiValk

Guggy
General

Re: Blinded by the Rising Sun? American Intelligence Assessments of Japanese Air and Naval Power, 1920-1941

Postby Guggy » Wed 24 Feb 2016 19:43

This thread got me to finally start playing Silent Hunter 4 :(

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Wed 24 Feb 2016 20:42

Mike wrote:Finally read this and it's very good work. Better have given you an A. :P

Hahaha, I should be defending in a month or so. I finally have the whole thing written. Just some revisions, the defence and administrative stuff left.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu 25 Feb 2016 03:38

Admiral Piett wrote:
Mike wrote:Finally read this and it's very good work. Better have given you an A. :P

Hahaha, I should be defending in a month or so. I finally have the whole thing written. Just some revisions, the defence and administrative stuff left.

What are you going to do with your life when you finally get it done? :lol:
Courtesy of KattiValk

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Thu 25 Feb 2016 08:09

Try and find meaningful full-time employment. Alternatively I will spend my time rummaging through a dumpster in between working shifts at Taco Bell. :lol:

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu 25 Feb 2016 09:39

Admiral Piett wrote:Try and find meaningful full-time employment. Alternatively I will spend my time rummaging through a dumpster in between working shifts at Taco Bell. :lol:

I don't think I want to know what's in dumpsters at Taco Bell. :lol:
Courtesy of KattiValk